A Windows 8.2 Concept

Lots and lots of people have posten their concepts for the next version of Windows (8.1, but also 8.2/8.5 or 9) to let the world see their vision of the future of Windows. Now, I can't say I liked any of them realy, because most of them where concentrated in bringing back the start menu, or something like that. That's why I created my own concept, it's the first time I do something like this. Now, take a look:

51b37ce2dc1cd-windows.thumb.jpg

This concept on DeviantArt: http://studio384.deviantart.com/art/A-Windows-8-2-Concept-by-Studio-384-376662267

This concept on Studio384.be: http://studio384.be/blog/microsoft/windows-green-8-2-een-concept/

• Like 3

I think there are some great ideas here, particularly the way you depict the start screen scaling. It seems stupid at the moment, the way that if you snap an app, there is a blank space there to be filled.

When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be another "Windows Red" type concept. Luckily it isn't.

The thing I liked most was the Notification Center, or rather that thing you did with the Windows Store. That's quite a good idea.

Some good ideas, some concepts that miss the target. the borders in the desktop apps isn't for touch resizing it's for the mouse. no borders might look nice and clean, but it's functionally terrible.

Some good ideas, some concepts that miss the target. the borders in the desktop apps isn't for touch resizing it's for the mouse. no borders might look nice and clean, but it's functionally terrible.

It works fine on OS X.

• Like 3

The draggable areas around the edge of the window just need to be slightly bigger than the border. Or the lack of border that is.

Wow, that's quite nice.

How so? You drag the sides of a window just like on Windows.

Pardon the poor .gif

On the latest version. Thankfully they fixed it, because it was terrible before. You couldn't do that before.

Thanks for the positive reactions. For the borders, it was ment to work just like now but then invisible. I didn't tought about it, but yes, the current situation on OS X is a good example of that. I will add more concepts for this later on.

How so? You drag the sides of a window just like on Windows.

post-309968-0-94653800-1370721328.gif

Pardon the poor .gif

sure once you hit the right pixel you do. are you now going to say it's as easy to hit the resize area on osx as on windows ?

I think they should make the borders on windows on the desktop sensitive to whether at least one of the monitors is a touch screen.

If that is the case then the wider borders should be enabled. Otherwise the borders should be narrow.

First thing I do to a non-touch Windows 8 installation is to use Tiny Window Borders. :)

sure once you hit the right pixel you do. are you now going to say it's as easy to hit the resize area on osx as on windows ?

There is little difference between the two. Windows has a couple of extra pixels due to the obese border.

post-309968-0-27809600-1370724993.gif

post-309968-0-26629000-1370724995.gif

/Offtopic: It's embarrassing how much smoother OSX's windows feel compare to Windows whilst resizing them.

--

Back on topic:

Nice ideas Studio384 - not too sure about the app opening in the notification centre, the area available for the app might be too small for smaller devices eg. 7' - 8' tablets

I might be the only person in the world who actually likes the thicker borders on Windows. I don't like that this "Win8.2" concept got rid of them.

I might be the only person in the world who actually likes the thicker borders on Windows. I don't like that this "Win8.2" concept got rid of them.

I do like them to, but there are a lot of people complaining about it. My goal was to make a concept based on feedback that users gave on Windows 8, but without all stupid ideas and keep it in line with Modern UI.

The notification area is awesome, nice job!

Indeed!

Although, hope dies last. Hopefully Microsoft has kept the Notification Center a well kept secret until now and its part of 8.1 waiting for Build to get officially unveiled. (what? I can still predict and dream :/ )

With touch displays, you need thicker window borders to be able to resize them.

The border don't need to be thicker by themselfs, if the area where you can grab the window is thick enough, it will work good too. And that's where my concept is about.

The border don't need to be thicker by themselfs, if the area where you can grab the window is thick enough, it will work good too. And that's where my concept is about.

But without a visible border, there is no visual cue to give the user confidence on where they are touching the screen, and there is no cursor to give feedback on what dragging will do.

OSX is not touch capable, and as such, is not the best example to use when planning a touch friendly version of the desktop

• Like 3

The click target for resize is more than one pixel. It feels like it's maybe 3 to 4 pixels either side of the border. Having said that, I don't resize windows by grabbing the sides using the mouse pointer. I hit a keyboard shortcut and just move the mouse. Way faster. Same goes for moving windows around.

It's good to see more concepts but a bit off topic I don't think the next version will be 8.2. I expect a jump to 8.5 so they can turn around and charge 8/8.1 users a small fee to upgrade. While if it was a 8.2 upgrade you'd hear more of a outcry to make it free like 8.1 is going to be.

Just my guess though.

The notification center stuff looks good. At first I thought it was going to be some ugly mockups I would quickly close but I like it.

However, I cannot understand the borderless windows concept. It has been around for as long as I can remember, at least since Windows XP. Many people made concept images with windows without borders and claimed it looks amazing that way.

Putting aside the resizability cues and stuff I simply think it looks very ugly and somewhat incomplete. It's like having a window without the frame, just the glass ;)

I honestly think that if/when they add a notification center into Windows that they'll get rid of the systray from the desktop. The notification center can just as well display any of the info the systray could. Though there are apps I minimize there till needed, like Outlook which I don't havet o always have open on my desktop so I hide it down there till I get a msg saying I got a new email. Those can still show up in the notification center as long as you can also get to them quickly from the desktop and not just the start screen.