Quiet rackmount PC cases

I'm looking to build a new PC in the future and one of the things I've considered is getting a rackmount case as I'll be getting rackmount audio devices.

Not really sure who provides high quality cases in a rackmount form factor. All I can find immediately is server cases. This isn't suitable as they tend to be deeper I believe and also much louder.

What you reckon, forumers of Neowin?

Would that fit a graphics card and a PCI card? 2u seems a bit small by my guess. I know little about these other *TX acronyms. The last PC I built was in, say... 2004 or something.

I'm looking to build a new PC in the future and one of the things I've considered is getting a rackmount case as I'll be getting rackmount audio devices.

Not really sure who provides high quality cases in a rackmount form factor. All I can find immediately is server cases. This isn't suitable as they tend to be deeper I believe and also much louder.

What you reckon, forumers of Neowin?

Depends what rackmount you want.

Typically, if its a rackmount 1 or 2u in size, the fans to keep it cool are going to be super loud.. of course that is going to assume you're running a server grade setup.

If space isn't an issue in your rack, you should probably try to get something like a 4u, stick some standard 12cm slient fans and go for as low power consuming as you can on the motherboard side of things, also you'll be able to install a standard ATX PSU as well, so you can get a slient one of them too. As well as pleny of space inside the case for extra drives if you need them. However, as you said you don't want a deep case, 1 and 2u tend to be keep because they can't have the motherboard and drives on top of each other. However, with mini-itx you can get half depth cases, but you're better off making your own..

If you must have 1 or 2u size, try to get a low power CPU such as one of the Atom/APU intergrated boards, with a picco PSU. Then you can either replace the fans that come with it with some quite ones, or add a resister inline and only use one or two of the fans in the case.

If you're wanting to install some custom cases, you can goto your local music or electonics store and they should be able to provide you with some bare bones 19" encosures for rackmounting equitment. Then you just have to drill the holes you need and attach the connections for what ever you're using.

On the other hand,, if you mean you want cases (cabinets) to install your racks into, then there is always the ikea table hacks, open racks or the DIY shelving rack hacks for home use. rack cabinets are generally designed for servers, ragardless if they're for audio or PC servers :/

Would that fit a graphics card and a PCI card? 2u seems a bit small by my guess. I know little about these other *TX acronyms. The last PC I built was in, say... 2004 or something.

You can fit an additional expansion card (some times 2) in 1U cases. You use a riser PCI card (or ribbon) to fit in the motherboard, that creates a right angle for the expansion card to fit into flat across the case.

48111088_tp.jpg

Ideally it'll be as quiet as possible so I can concentrate fully on making and listening to music.

Seems to me it'd be best to go for a 4U case so I can have big fans and a big graphics card plus any audio PCI cards.

Or I could whack a normal PC on a rackmount shelf.

Also, rackmount audio devices use the same unit (1U, etc).

I honestly don't think you should go rack mounted.

Apart from anything else it increases the length of all your cables, makes it harder to move, limits your hardware selections (by heat and power and noise etc) and requires you to have a rack..

You'd be better off finding a good quality standard box with good sound proofing and going from there. It will also probably be cheaper.

Obviously it's your choice though :)

(by heat and power and noise etc) and requires you to have a rack..

You'd be better off finding a good quality standard box with good sound proofing and going from there. It will also probably be cheaper.

You reckon? Does seem like this is more dedicated to servers instead of high-end home rigs.

The rack requirement isn't an issue as I'll have other things in the rack. Nor is it essential - just seen other producers go this route.

Honestly yes. I would run a rack for server instances, but not for my main box. It's deliberately limited in size and high in noise because it's meant to support hot, smaller hardware. In consumer grade stuff, that's not usually the case.

I wouldn't, but if you can make it work, more power to you :D Also it would be kind of cool :p Just introduces some headaches along the way :)