Windows Update ISO Beta vs AutoPatcher XP

i wonder what they were thinking...

i think they were thinking...

"lets help out dialup users who can't download all these updates as easy as others can..."

i think it is cool.

until AP puts out CD's and will ship them to whoever orders them, this thing and AP are in two different categories.

i think they were thinking...

"lets help out dialup users who can't download all these updates as easy as others can..."

i think it is cool.

until AP puts out CD's and will ship them to whoever orders them, this thing and AP are in two different categories.

Well, not really, cause this isn't shipping yet. ;) And soon as the site is up, we will be offering that (I've already got most of it set up). :D Don't worry, we won't letcha down! :)

Just for any who want to know, I compiled a list of exactly what's in the Windows Update ISO Beta. I also included what's in the AutoPatcher XP 4.1. So you can compare what's in each. ;)

i for one haven't followed your program this much, and i congratulate you on it's popularity. but i'm curious; how many of the updates in your program are pre-release updates received through microsoft support?

i for one haven't followed your program this much, and i congratulate you on it's popularity. but i'm curious; how many of the updates in your program are pre-release updates received through microsoft support?

Only 2. :) lol

FlishFun, Do you have the one that fixes lockups on P4 HT cpus that run ATI Multimedia center? If not, I have it if you want it.

What's the KB number? I'll let you know. If not, please give it to me. :D

Just wanted to know, I have the betaplace CD, looking over your comparisions, its hard to read btw, is autopatcher better?

Well, here's my personal opinion. The Windows Update ISO is more like a Service Pack with a few extras. The AutoPatcher has everything that has come out for XPSP1. I believe that you'd get more use out of the AutoPatcher (and that's not just cause it's mine... lol). The comparison pretty much shows what's in each... and if you go through, there is about 5 times more updates/patches in the AutoPatcher than in the ISO.

Edit - Here's the comparison up close:

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Critical Updates (05)
AP XP 4.1   - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Critical Updates (27)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Recommended Updates (01) 
AP XP 4.1   - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Recommended Updates (18)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows 2000 Pre-SP4 Patches - Critical Updates (01)
AP XP 4.1   - Microsoft Windows 2000 Pre-SP4 Patches - Critical Updates (00)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Internet Explorer Patches (05)
AP XP 4.1   - Microsoft Internet Explorer Patches (05)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Outlook Express Patches (01) 
AP XP 4.1   - Microsoft Outlook Express Patches (03) 

WU ISO Beta - Bonus Features (00)
AP XP 4.1   - Bonus Features (10)

WU ISO Beta - Registry Tweaks (00)
AP XP 4.1   - Registry Tweaks (53)

More Details Here: Full Details

Edited by FlishFun

Well, here's my personal opinion.  The Windows Update ISO is more like a Service Pack with a few extras.  The AutoPatcher has everything that has come out for XPSP1.  I believe that you'd get more use out of the AutoPatcher (and that's not just cause it's mine... lol).  The comparison pretty much shows what's in each... and if you go through, there is about 5 times more updates/patches in the AutoPatcher than in the ISO.

Edit - Here's the comparison up close:

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Critical Updates (05)
AP XP 4.1 ? - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Critical Updates (27)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Recommended Updates (01) 
AP XP 4.1 ? - Microsoft Windows XP Pre-SP2 Patches - Recommended Updates (18)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Windows 2000 Pre-SP4 Patches - Critical Updates (01)
AP XP 4.1 ? - Microsoft Windows 2000 Pre-SP4 Patches - Critical Updates (00)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Internet Explorer Patches (05)
AP XP 4.1 ? - Microsoft Internet Explorer Patches (05)

WU ISO Beta - Microsoft Outlook Express Patches (01) 
AP XP 4.1 ? - Microsoft Outlook Express Patches (03) 

WU ISO Beta - Bonus Features (00)
AP XP 4.1 ? - Bonus Features (10)

WU ISO Beta - Registry Tweaks (00)
AP XP 4.1 ? - Registry Tweaks (53)

More Details Here:  Full Details

That's not exactly a fair comparison with the critical updates, the SUCD contains Q826939, which is a rollup of about 22 hotfixes. Granted, its one less critical update than the AP and recommended updates still don't compare, but its not as one sided as your chart makes it seem, but then this is a "Security Update CD," and by having all of the C.U. except the most recent ones, it does what its designed to do pretty well, which is just convienently install all the security updates

That's not exactly a fair comparison with the critical updates, the SUCD contains Q826939, which is a rollup of about 22 hotfixes. Granted, its one less critical update than the AP and recommended updates still don't compare, but its not as one sided as your chart makes it seem, but then this is a "Security Update CD," and by having all of the C.U. except the most recent ones, it does what its designed to do pretty well, which is just convienently install all the security updates

Well, the AP contains Q826939 as well... so I was tryin' to be truthful in what I wrote. If you download the full comparisons you can see in detail (all the updates are listed). I do agree though that this is good for what it's made for (never said it wasn't). This was just to show people who wanted to know what the diff was between them. :)

Well i like the Installer but if MS really wanna kick then i suggest that you employ Jason dedicated has the time and would be well paid in a good paid job unless he is already in a better working spot