Netscape Internet Service, now in preview

Netscape Internet Service, the $9.99/month no-frills dial-up Internet service, is now in preview, for more information, visit this site:

http://isp.netscape.com/

To sign up:

http://isp.netscape.com/preview/

(Price within the preview period is $2.95 per month for the first 2 months, then it's $9.99 per month, read the fine print ;) )

I don't live in the US so I can't really try it, I guess it's not bad, at least it's being owned by AOL so you get pretty good speeds... (the huge amount of bandwidth AOL owns, anyway, I dunno... :unsure: )

doh, the site is not completely live yet so you can't really register (you provide your name, email and you can't get to the actual registration... :ermm: )

well anyway you know it from here first... :p

Well, I don't care. Everyone can jump on the bandwagon and bash AOL if they want. I stated my view. For 10 bucks a month though, it's a real deal.

10 bucks for a piece of **** ISP sounds about right.Anyways I'm rather happy with my 45 dollar a month Optimum Online. (read: fastest cable ISP in the US)

Well there are folks I imagine that balk at$ 21.95 all you can eat dial up. I read that this is for the "casual" internet user, a person who wants just access for those emails , etc. I also read that Netscape will be using some type of compression technology to speed its services dramatically, very similar to what AOL 9 Optimized dial up is now. I am on Earthlink dial up that uses an accelerator, and it works very nicely. I will wait for cable and dsl prices to drop before I make the plunge I think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Netscape Toolbar and Netscape Online Homepage (notice it uses your setting for default browser, which means it doesn't force you to use Netscape and that it doesn't come with a browser)

post-8-1069737082.gif

to me it just looks like a rebadged AOL, maybe AOL are trying to lower the use of their name because of thier bad rep and use a more "trusted" brand instead- Netscape.

How is it just a rebadged aol? It doesn't use their browser or anything, it's just simple dialup. Stop trying to find something wrong in a simple alternative for people who can not afford broadband.

How is it just a rebadged aol? It doesn't use their browser or anything, it's just simple dialup. Stop trying to find something wrong in a simple alternative for people who can not afford broadband.

are you serious? I'm neither for or against AOL/Netscape, I was just noting that it requires special software to dial in, that uses AOL's SNS Service for authentication, just like AOL's regular browser (and also an intrusive always-on-top bar, as intrusive as always having to have AOL in the taskbar). And as AquaDex said, I know it's not coming with AOL's browser, it's using components from it.