Valve will let you share Steam Games w/Friends & Family

To be fair to them, going by normal ValveTime estimates, they would have started working on this about 10 years ago!

There's no way Valve could've knocked this up this quickly :p

Maybe Gabe wasn't involved :p

at this point in time we might as well consider steam a separate company from valve though, and steam is a lot more efficient than Valve, annoyingly so. every time I have to reboot my computer I'm annoyed because the whole "steam is updating" is slowing the startup way down. 

Actually this is a more realistic scenario Xbox One owners could have looked forward to:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-Shutting-Down-GFWL-July-1st-2014-Why-People-Fear-Xbox-One-58433.html

That happens to apply to all console makers.  They are all doing a clean slate for next gen consoles, MS included.

As far as GFWL shutting down.  I'm not so sure this will end up as bad as you guys think.

MS is not getting out of offering a service, they are just changing it over to all Xbox branding on the pc.

So while many just want to bash MS, this lone piece of info does not tell us anything about what will be in place from MS by July 1st, 2014. So in effect, the drm concern may not matter if MS migrates it all to Xbox services.  The services exist now, and MS intends to make that the place you go to buy games, getting rid of the antiquated GFWL service.  Why have both around?

Even MS sees that GFWL is fundamentally flawed and everyone on the net is glad to see it go, so as long as they transition the server support to the Xbox service, it really wont matter.

I've signed up.  Though I do wish that you and a friend could play a shared title at the same time.. though I guess that would increase risk of a lost sale.

Valve already holds a very dominant position in the PC digital distribution market, I doubt any publisher is going to not put their game on Steam strictly because of the sharing system. After all, it only allows one person at a time to access their game, why would it matter if person A or person B had paid for it if they both need to buy it to play at the same time?

Um, EA broke away from Steam and formed Origin for issues it had with Valve's policies.  Publishers are willing to not support Steam under the right circumstances.

I'm not saying this feature would cause that, but I'm saying it can happen. 

Microsoft could implement their idea for digital titles only which is a bonus because that would get people buying those over discs for the sharing perk. This might comes as a shock but offering a choice for consumers. That is how they should have got people on board.

Now, they haven't done anything yet but I presume they would have if publishers were on board to begin with and I doubt they were. Microsoft need to tone it down considerably, like Valve have just annouced.

As you can read in the Valve FAQ, not all games are supported with this feature. Wait and see if the big publishers games are among the missing titles.

Publishers want you to buy games and not share them like discs. Valve's way is likely to be the only middle ground your going to get because it is strict enough so only one person has access to the library at one time. It remains to be seen what games are supported which should send a signal, clear as day as to how publishers feel about digital sharing.

Your comments sound very very double standard...  What's good for one is not good for the other.  Prior to the 180 Microsoft had on their website that it was the full game.  And even stated that a timed demo would have been dumb and not worth their time.  

And if Publishers were not on board, you think they would have bothered to step out and make that announcement..

And Microsoft's approach is actually better than Steams approach.

You could play all of your games even if one of your friends is playing the same game from your library.  24hr check in...

I can already share my 64 bit Atari Jaguar games with my friends by just letting them borrow the cartridge. I don't see what the big deal is here? Is "Steam" running on the Unreal Engine?

No but contracts run on Unreal.

EA is one of the very few companies with the resources to break away and do something like that.

I agree, they already had a PC development team before Origin and of course the funds and everything else needed to create a digital distribution service. Many publishers don't have the developers to create such a service and many standalone developers don't have the funding required to create such a service.

Not saying it can't happen again, but it is pretty unlikely considering the widespread Steam is.

Um, EA broke away from Steam and formed Origin for issues it had with Valve's policies.  Publishers are willing to not support Steam under the right circumstances.

I'm not saying this feature would cause that, but I'm saying it can happen. 

Let's not act like EA's reasons for "breaking away" from Steam were anything more than trumped up excuses to try and push Origin.

• Like 1

EA is one of the very few companies with the resources to break away and do something like that.

Ubisoft already allows other publishers to use their service. 

Valve didn't steal this idea from anyone, they just happen to be working on a similar solution that other companies like MS are also working on. 

Now if MS had pursued its idea and was still promoting it as coming with the launch of the system, then you could say that Valve was joining them in these features, but as it is, Valve will be the first to try something like MS' idea.

EA able to break away because PC is open platform, but xbox on the other hand ...

Um, they could always go to another console.  Nothing is chaining them to the Xbox.  It seems like publishers are very willing to side with one console or another, at least when a new generation of consoles starts.  So I could see many publishers jumping ship if they felt the policies of one console were just not in their best interest.

That is true, but now that Origin exists, whats to stop publishers from moving their content to Origin and away from Steam?

Again, I don't think this feature means we will see that, but I could see them moving if there was a policy that upset them.

Let's not act like EA's reasons for "breaking away" from Steam were anything more than trumped up excuses to try and push Origin.

But that doesn't change my point.  They broke away because they didn't like something about Steam/its policies or just to push Origin.  You can claim it was just a greed move, whatever, it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

This isn't about EA's motives anyway.  Just the reality that it CAN happen. 

But that doesn't change my point.  They broke away because they didn't like something about Steam/its policies or just to push Origin.  You can claim it was just a greed move, whatever, it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

This isn't about EA's motives anyway.  Just the reality that it CAN happen. 

It absolutely changes your point, breaking away with an ulterior motive negates your reasoning. You're arguing the impact of policies, corporate greed has nothing to do with policy.

Your comments sound very very double standard...  What's good for one is not good for the other.  Prior to the 180 Microsoft had on their website that it was the full game.  And even stated that a timed demo would have been dumb and not worth their time.  

And if Publishers were not on board, you think they would have bothered to step out and make that announcement..

And Microsoft's approach is actually better than Steams approach.

You could play all of your games even if one of your friends is playing the same game from your library.  24hr check in...

You couldn't a straight answer from Microsoft after E3. It was a mess, very confusing time. Not sure how final things actually were with publishers if at all, the 24hr check seemed to be news to a few.

It wasn't specifically mentioned it would be full games at the beginning, just your libriary so could have been an extended demo like was rumoured. Microsoft said afterwards it was full games but they could say anything at that point and save face.

Sitting back and reading what they actually had to offer you must see the reality with some common sense. It was too good to be true even with the 24 check in.

I just don't believe it was possible. It would be exploited and worse than used games ever were. Not about whether Microsoft said this and that, the feature was so ridiculous it could never happen. For example, one friend could buy 10 games, share those with 10 friends and those friends could buy 10 different games and do the same thing.

100 games bought shared among 10 friends who can be playing each others libriary at the same time as long as it isn't the same game. Crazy talk.

Now, yes a few might buy their own copy to play online with their friends so that is an extra sale but bloody hell, publishers would be losing stupid amounts of money and a few quid from Microsoft and Xbox Live Gold isn't going to put a dent in that loss if Microsoft wanted to share than pie which would be a straight no way in hell.

To be fair to them, going by normal ValveTime estimates, they would have started working on this about 10 years ago!

There's no way Valve could've knocked this up this quickly :p

They're on Valve time because of the immense gravity caused by Gabe Newell's immense weight. Time to them runs at a different pace.

It absolutely changes your point, breaking away with an ulterior motive negates your reasoning. You're arguing the impact of policies, corporate greed has nothing to do with policy.

I was arguing that publishers are not tied to Steam if they think they want to break away.

People were trying to say that everyone would just go along with whatever Steam does because there was no alternative.

Whether its due to policy issues or greed, publishers in fact DO have an option other than Steam, so if they feel strongly enough about something, they go elsewhere.

I don't even know the real reasons EA broke away.  I know you say it was all greed related, but I don't know what has been confirmed in that regard. Lets not derail this any further to be about EA.

You couldn't a straight answer from Microsoft after E3. It was a mess, very confusing time. Not sure how final things actually were with publishers if at all, the 24hr check seemed to be news to a few.

It wasn't specifically mentioned it would be full games at the beginning, just your libriary so could have been an extended demo like was rumoured. Microsoft said afterwards it was full games but they could say anything at that point and save face.

Sitting back and reading what they actually had to offer you must see the reality with some common sense. It was too good to be true even with the 24 check in.

Again, we aren't talking facts.  You are taking the small amount of detail we got on their program before they pulled the plug and applying what you believe would have been the outcome.

Why is it so hard to just say we really don't know what it would have been considering the fact that the program is gone. You said it yourself, we had not even gotten all the facts from MS yet.  Who knows what the details behind the scenes were.

Whatever MS does in the future, it will most certainly be different.  It may be the same thing Valve is doing, or it may be different. 

I think its a waste of everyone's time to argue about a program that doesn't exist (MS' first plan) vs the program that has just been announced (Steam's sharing plan).  If you liked some of the ideas that MS was bringing up and want to see those ideas in other programs like Steam, that's fair to point out, but this isn't a case of 'evaluating' programs.

<X> oem releases a Windows 8 computer... Front page news. World's largest PC gaming company makes one of the biggest changes to their subscription platform... no mention. Sometimes I get the impression these days that Neowin is just a marketing mouthpiece for Microsoft. How is this not on the front page :/