Can I put PC2700 RAM in PC2100 slot?

I want to upgrade the memory in my friend's laptop, Compaq Presario 2100. It support 1GB memory max (2x512). I bought a PC2700(DDR333) 512MB from Circuit City. But after I put it in the 2nd slot, it won't boot up. The reason I bought PC2700 stick is it's much cheaper than PC2100, $99 VS $140.

I thought you can put higher rate DDR stick in the lower rate DDR slot, but you won't be able to put lower rate stick in the higher rate slot, right?

Do you think that I just got the bad stick or you won't be able to put the PC2700 stick in the PC2100 slot? Please help....

Thanks,

I already tired to put just 1 stick of 512MB RAM in, but it's still not working. As far as I know PC2700 is the same as PC2100, but only support higher bandwidth rate. It should work, but now I have no idea why it's not working. Do you think I got the bad stick? Or I won't be able to put PC2700 in PC2100 slot at all?

Well i remember with my desktop when i had two sticks of 128 in there, it wouldnt detect one of them till i switched the order around.. i still dont know why.. and are you putting in two sticks or something?.. or just one?.. bah.. sorry i cant help more

Thank guys, I decided to drive back to circuit city and exchange it to the new stick(the same model). Guess what, it was a bad stick that I've got. Must be my lucky day that I pick 1 out of 10 packs and got the bad stick.

Now, it's all working great.... To confirm this, You can put PC2700 stick in the PC2100 slot. It's weird that all PC2100 is more expensive than the faster module, PC2700.