LiveTuner - Simply improve Windows performance smartly

Tried this in Windows 8.1 and after those tweaks OS rebooted automatically.

Some BSOD probably. That's a pity.

Any suggestions?

That's strange. I'm using both Windows 7/8 and they all worked fine. I also tested 8.1 before releasing it too. Boot into safemode and Uninstall it. What is your hardware specs and OS edition installed btw?

I live by the principle that an OS is self-contained and perfectly balanced when left untouched. You should not worry about the internals of your OS. That alone should keep your PC speedy enough to last a few years.

• Like 2

Tried it, program stopped responding upon reboot. Dell Inspiron 1545 C2D, 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows 8.1. Had to force close program. Tried a second reboot, thinking maybe it was just a small glitch....no go, did the same thing. Unfortunately, uninstalled. Had to, esle keep having the same problem every reboot. :/

Or power 'end user' thinking default environment is the best for every hardware/application and will only wait for fixes to be applied from Windows Update don't touch software like this?

Some tweaks included in here are from update hotfix pages and most registry fixes through update has only one constant safe values while it should be optimized accordingly to hardware specs. Well, it's user's choice to decide what's best for them. Maybe not this kind of thing isn't suitable neowin.net. Even single HPET tweak got 6 pages long and some people're still debating it for bad tweak regardless of benchmark and applications. I'm not saying HPET is always good though. It's just some people don't really know why Microsoft added it and who needed it.

It's not a debate. There has been no credible evidence that HPET results in performance improvements in real-world scenarios. The only thing that was ever definitively shown was was that it lowered the latency of a single system call. I discussed in detail the flawed methodology used in the claims (in post #73). If this had been a peer reviewed paper submission to a conference, the glaring benchmarking issues would have gotten the paper immediately rejected. Unless you can cite some real-world results showing performance improvements for games or other algorithms, don't make claims because otherwise you are just spreading misinformation.

For the record, HPET is not a Microsoft specific feature. It's a hardware timer in x86 that improves on some of the limitations of the older hardware timers. Specifically it is higher resolution and faster to schedule one-shot interrupts with in comparison to the older RTC/PIT timers, and it doesn't have subtle gotchas that result in bugs when using the TSC counter for timing (well the non-invariant version anyway). Though it is worth noting that the latter counter is just as precise as HPET and is the default timer in Vista/7. In fact, I believe it is still used for scheduling process time quanta even with HPET enabled in Windows 8. My understanding is that HPET is used when idling or sleeping.

From what I gather, the purpose of enabling HPET in Win8 is to enable the OS to use a variable length (dynamic) tick because a variable tick enables energy savings by allowing your CPU to sleep as much as possible (or to say it another way, to allow the OS to wake up only when exactly needed). HPET is not some new timer, it's  been supported in Windows since Vista. The thing is TSC was just preferred because reading from it is faster than using HPET. But, HPET certainly offers the one-shot interrupt advantages if you want to save on energy.

Tried it, program stopped responding upon reboot. Dell Inspiron 1545 C2D, 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows 8.1. Had to force close program. Tried a second reboot, thinking maybe it was just a small glitch....no go, did the same thing. Unfortunately, uninstalled. Had to, esle keep having the same problem every reboot. :/

Could you attach screenshot or give me details about error itself? Is it livecore having error or one of your software having it?

• 1 month later...

Version 2.0 Released

Changelog

-Added Computer Audiophile Server application optimizations
-Added creating installation log in Windows\livetuner.log for reporting
-Added lower Windows Defender's service priority option
-Added readme section explaining how software works
-Changed default options to what most people use which are 'Laptop/Tablets' and 'Office/Internet'
-Fixed startup optimizations to keep process running only when required
-Increased trimming unused file cache responsiveness a bit more (20->15)
-Re-configured increasing NTFS cache for 4GB+ RAM instead of 2GB+
-Re-enabled SuperFetch so that ReadyBoost can function

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That's a whole lot of hate that you're having to put up here. I used to have a Pentium 3 for way longer than I should have, and I can vouch that some of these tweakers actually work and make a difference. Now, with a Core i7 and a SSD, I don't need this. But, I'm sure someone else will find this useful.

• Like 3

Yeah. Sad but true that many people letting out their hatred before trying and consider its real worth. Most people who actually tried for few days of usage mostly found it positive like improved system caching performance and online gaming performance. Sure that high performance hardware may not find a great boost but it's still zero plus software.

Yeah. Sad but true that many people letting out their hatred before trying and consider its real worth. Most people who actually tried for few days of usage mostly found it positive like improved system caching performance and online gaming performance. Sure that high performance hardware may not find a great boost but it's still zero plus software.

We're just asking for actual numbers showing the performance difference and not the "I feel it's faster", and a better description of what each function does so we know it's not messing with things it shouldn't or reducing the actual functions of the system to minimally improve performance in some situations and so we know it doesn't do anything that could break stuff we use. 

• Like 3

Care to elaborate on the differences between Desktop and Laptop/Tablets for the device optimization options?

It handles about worker thread optimizations, paged/nonpaged pooling optimizations and some power saving optimizations. I plan to make additional dialog briefing some tweaks to show some changes below applying.

We're just asking for actual numbers showing the performance difference and not the "I feel it's faster", and a better description of what each function does so we know it's not messing with things it shouldn't or reducing the actual functions of the system to minimally improve performance in some situations and so we know it doesn't do anything that could break stuff we use. 

Some guys in ghacks.net/2014/01/29/livetuner-optimizes-system-based-two-simple-parameters/ posted some positive result there like feel snappier or get faster boot time with actual number report like 13 seconds faster. You can try it and see for yourself. None of applied tweaks are outside MSDN reference and uninstall will revert tweaks back to system defaults so I hope that should sound safe and convincing enough.

Added lower Windows Defender's service priority option

why does this make "Windows" faster/better or whatever your app is trying to do?

why does this make "Windows" faster/better or whatever your app is trying to do?

Some old computers will face overall system slowdown issue when security software scanning files. Reducing process' priority level can help multi-tasking. But it's not affected on modern machines running 4 cores so it'll not be applied by default.

To answer what this program does, short answer is it simply adjust system parameters according to hardware/application based on tweaks found in MSDN resources. For more information, please read in http://www.windowsxlive.net/livetuner

I tried this software out, seems to interfere with EA's Origin from logging in! I used the online gaming setting. From my testing of my system it otherwise makes no difference bar the priority setting for explorer. But i believe this software might help out a older/ lesser machine. 

It's probably caused by tcpackfrequency = 1 disabling delayed ack. I heard it improve latency in online games but maybe not so good for every case. Will try to make it more reliable in next release. It may take a few days to feel the changes on modern machines like someone mentioned in ghacks but it sure did help in some way if consider from technical side.

You heard...

So where's the thorough testing before packaging up and sending out to users?

1. I heard from a few gaming communities that it reduce lagging issues.

2. I implemented it in my software and use it with reduced ping significantly.

3. I don't have login issues for Steam and such.

4. I sent it to my friends and tested on my brother's machine and they all said it improved online gaming performance.

5. I released it to website.

That's the process I did. Explain why I put one tweak in doesn't mean that's all I did before releasing it. I hope you understand it clearly now.

I might give this a try, mainly because I'm curious.  My PC is running nicely but I'm a tinkerer, a beta ######, and not paranoid when it comes to my computer practices.

• Like 2

Any effort on free apps is commended but this kind of tools doesn't have a place today.

I speak from personal experience as I wrote VistaTweaker (a fairly popular app back in those days) which offered different kinds of tweaks. With the hardware that is out from a few years until today, there really is no need to "shave" a second or two from something when most of the time the user won't notice anything. Placebo effect on hardware optimization occurs more often than not.

When Windows 7 reached RTM I ran different tests with hardware optimizations. It didn't make a difference so I stopped writing an new app for it. Windows 8-8.1 is greatly optimized as well. I still have plans for a new app to address options and settings but it still in the shelf for now...

Having said that, there is still need for interface tweaks, enabling hidden options and other things but from a hardware perspective, there are really no needs, even with fairly old hardware in this two OS's.

I would suggest you to document the changes being made and offer a way for the user to know what's being modified so anyone trying it can see what it is doing at least. Another advice would be to completely change the UI. those kind of designs are ugly and detract from whatever you app can do/is doing.

Good luck.

PS: I don't want to sound like an arrogant guy. I'm just a spare-time programmer which is still learning stuff and wanted to add my two cents about your program and what other posters said in this thread regarding this kind of apps.

Hmm ... did a before and after Speedtest.net.

I don't know if it is a placebo effect -- but my wf-fi speed basically doubled.

Asus -- Windows 7 laptop

Although Windows 8.1 is already doing fine jobs with machine these days and improvements won't be significantly right after reboot. However, tweaks I applied in this software aren't really obsolete. Some still play in critical parts of the operating system and it can ensure to balance the resources suitable for your applications like MMCSS, some server 2012 optimizations for filesystem and memory management. These still hold true and I tweak with real hardware/software check not fixed values for every machine.

Thank you guys for suggestions. I'll be sure to improve things with suggestions I received and show some concrete tweaks before actually applying. It may not be all since it's a bit tricky to display everything but most of them should be convincing enough. I mainly rewrote this app again to help my dad's i5 PC and now I'm also using it with everyday machine so I'd like to bring the best of it and share it with everyone.

OK.  I may seem like a nay-sayer here.  I simply do not trust the development of such toold - as a lot is based upon personal opinion against posted tweaks.

So here's a thing.  I am going to be formatting soon.  As such, I will format cleanly, install something like PhotoShop and create a MASSIVE graphic.  Test rendering time before and after the tweaks.  Also a few things like downloading a large file.

Sound fair?

• Like 2