PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Let's say you have a room that needs to be painted.

After assessing the situation, it is determined that 2 gallons of paint are needed to paint the room properly and to have a nice, even, pleasing to the eye paint of coat throughout the room itself.

No doubt there are a few options one could take in order to get away with painting the room with only 1 gallon of paint. You may even believe initially that deciding you can get away with painting the room with 1 gallon is reason enough to celebrate.

However choosing to paint the room with only 1 gallon means that inevitably sacrifices need to be made. The room simply is just not going to look as good as if it was painted with 2 gallons.

I present this example for those of you are loyalists to the XBox movement and now believe that the One will have parity with the PS4 from a graphical standpoint. Keep this example in mind as there is a very distinct possibility that even though resolution may be increased in certain games, only 1 gallon of paint is being used to cover the room instead of 2. Sacrifices will be made.

So now ps4 twice as powerful as Xbox one? If the choice is between 1gallon and 1.5gallon then you are making sacrifice anyway.

So now ps4 twice as powerful as Xbox one? If the choice is between 1gallon and 1.5gallon then you are making sacrifice anyway.

Depends on the game. CoD is twice as demanding on the PS4 as it is on Xbox. Being twice the resolution. Tomb raider is twice as demanding, being double the framerate. Others are a much smaller difference. Same framerate and 900vs1080

It's definitely not 2x as powerful, but the graphics cards are fairly different which leads to the biggest discrepancies in resolution/framerate.

HhcwjYj.png

Depends on the game. CoD is twice as demanding on the PS4 as it is on Xbox. Being twice the resolution. Tomb raider is twice as demanding, being double the framerate. Others are a much smaller difference. Same framerate and 900vs1080

How many gallons of paint is that? We are discussing raw specs here!

;-)

:huh:

That's impossible. You could probably run Diablo 3 at 1080p on a 7 years old PC ...

If this is true there's something going on other than just hardware. Probably the changes MS did to the dev kit lately.

That's impossible. You could probably run Diablo 3 at 1080p on a 7 years old PC ...

If this is true there's something going on other than just hardware. Probably the changes MS did to the dev kit lately.

If the changes to the dev kit were in effect, then you would think the numbers would be the same, not a difference like this.

I assume its about locked 60 opposed to just get it running at 1080p.

If the changes to the dev kit were in effect, then you would think the numbers would be the same, not a difference like this.

Maybe. It's not like Diablo 3 is a demanding game. I can't see why the XBox One hardware could not run it at 1080p.

Maybe. It's not like Diablo 3 is a demanding game. I can't see why the XBox One hardware could not run it at 1080p.

It's probably not one thing, they're probably not using the ESRAM as best they can?  Some say that's the issue that adds complexity, the June SDK talks about new tools which I'm betting help with that area and getting more out of it.   Either way, the June SDK just hit, I doubt it'll make a difference to games that are in the final stages of testing and close to release.  Now games that are coming next year, like Destiny, then we know those will probably see a difference.

Sony: "download the hardline beta,and play it in its 1080p 60fps glory"

51:12s

On PS4, we see the same 1600x900 native rendering resolution and identical post-process anti-aliasing, along with a performance profile that's similar - perhaps possibly worse - than its DICE stablemate's.

General action sees us sees vary wildly between 40-60fps - with sudden fluctuations in frame-time giving a disjointed, judder-filled gameplay experience - definitely more than just a visual issue, as controller response definitely feels muggier when the engine is under stress. It seems that a combination of effects brings the frame-rate down, with transparencies in particular causing the PS4 version to struggle.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-battlefield-hardline-beta-performance-analysis

Having seen Sunset Overdrive gameplay, it's not the type of game IMO that would see much benefit from a higher FPS.  I'm still firm in my opinion that only a set type of game needs 60fps,  First person shooters are the obvious ones, and some around here also say racing games, but to that I'd say it again depends on the type.  An open world racing game could be just fine at 30 while a closed track one would be better at 60.

As far as XB1 games go, the June SDK and performance boost won't be seen by any of the 2014 games, too late in the development process, they could get a post-release update later though.  I think the effects of the June SDK will show in the first half 2015 titles while the later mentioned DX12 boost will show in the later half of 2015.

Given Sony are pretty often creative with the truth, this doesn't quite surprise me

Having seen Sunset Overdrive gameplay, it's not the type of game IMO that would see much benefit from a higher FPS.  I'm still firm in my opinion that only a set type of game needs 60fps,  First person shooters are the obvious ones, and some around here also say racing games, but to that I'd say it again depends on the type.  An open world racing game could be just fine at 30 while a closed track one would be better at 60.

As far as XB1 games go, the June SDK and performance boost won't be seen by any of the 2014 games, too late in the development process, they could get a post-release update later though.  I think the effects of the June SDK will show in the first half 2015 titles while the later mentioned DX12 boost will show in the later half of 2015.

Well Bungie are aiming to do it, and Destiny is coming in September. No reason the other AAAs can't do the same. Leaving it until 2015 shouldn't be necessary. Games will make use of resources "on the fly" without much input on devs behalf from what I've read. Managing it with the ESRAM maybe but that's nothing new for them.

DX12 is a different ball park entirely.

We'll see what they do, I don't see devs pushing out updates to titles though, at least no one has said they will.

It seem that Microsoft has been boosting the GPU speed on the console to try to keep up the performance of the PS4 because of the DDR5 ram. I don't see this a big deal to get it as fast as ps4 because it can do 1080p at 30fps while PS4 does it at 60fps with small drops at times. It's great that Microsoft want to get more power out of the system but both can't do 4k gaming and I can see these boost will burn/crash the system.

I know they upped the CPU and GPU speed before it went to market back in November by a bit, small overclocks aren't anything to worry about specially not with that big heatsink and fan the Xbox One uses.  I don't know or haven't read about the new June updating upping the GPU speed again or anything only that the new June XDK unlocks the 10% reserve resources that they had before this so now Devs get more to play with.  

If they feel they can up the CPU and GPU clocks by another, say, 20Mhz, then that's fine with me, it's not like they're boosting it by say, 200Mhz like what some PC users do (or even more).   The June XDK also, from the sounds of it, helps with performance by other factors, more optimized code and better developer tools to help use the hardware better with less hassle, all of which will improve performance.

There isn't any real value in either console doing 4K (most people aren't going to have a 4K TV until the next console cycle, and the people that care about 4K gaming are going to be playing games on the PC), but for many people, there is a big difference in the way games feel at 60fps compared to 30fps, so it's in Microsoft best interest to get as provide as much performance to developers as they can.

There is lots of room for speed in the SDK...

That small high performance RAM is a nice cache but complicated to manage... but if the SDK handles this automatically and also gets optimized more, then the XBO will get as fast as or faster than the PS4.

Also DX12 will provide lots of performance gains in the future :-)

I hold back with buying a console till they sorted out their stuff and more games get released... then i might buy one of them or both...

That small high performance RAM is a nice cache but complicated to manage... but if the SDK handles this automatically and also gets optimized more, then the XBO will get as fast as or faster than the PS4.

I hold back with buying a console till they sorted out their stuff and more games get released... then i might buy one of them or both...

The esram is too small to be of significant value to the performance, plus the fact that the GPU plays the main part in graphics processing.. I don't see the X1 ever matching or exceeding the PS4 graphics capabilities unless they made some hardware changes.

• Like 2

By that same token, Sony has potential to optimize it's software further with it's SDK's. 

Only time will tell how this plays out, and will know towards the end this cycles console competition which hardware was better and/or who optimized there software better. 

The Witcher 900/30 XB1

Meanwhile, Mamais confirmed that the version of Witcher 3 shown during Microsoft's E3 press conference was indeed running on an Xbox One at 900p resolution and 30 frames per second.

It looked pretty good to our eyes, but Mamais insisted it will end up looking even better by the time development is finished for Witcher 3's February 2015 release date.

"We're still optimising for Xbox One and PS4 so it should look better than that in theory," he said. "But everything we're doing optimisation wise for PS4 and Xbox One, we're also optimising for PC. It's a cross-platform engine, so any optimisation we do for one platform goes into the other platform and just speeds it up, basically."

A 900p resolution is CD Projekt's "minimum", Mamais said. "We will hit 900p no problem. We'd like to get it up to 1080p on Xbox One. That's our goal. Whether we can do it or not I don't know. We've got to squeeze everything we can out of the hardware.

"Microsoft and Sony say 900p is the sweet spot, and there's not a lot of difference visually between 900p and 1080p, but it's a hot topic now. So that's what my goal is."

To this end, CD Projekt is working directly with Microsoft engineers to try to improve the game's performance on Xbox One.

The Witcher 1080/30 PS4

As expected, on PlayStation 4 Witcher 3 outputs at 1080p resolution.

"It's just a slightly more powerful machine," Mamais said. "That's pretty known. But I think in the longer run everything is going to be on both platforms running at 1080p. It's just taking developers longer to do it than they expected because the architecture is a little more challenging on the Xbox One.

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox.

"But we anticipate being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on the Xbox."

The esram is too small to be of significant value to the performance, plus the fact that the GPU plays the main part in graphics processing.. I don't see the X1 ever matching or exceeding the PS4 graphics capabilities unless they made some hardware changes.

They have already shown that DX12 plus offloading to the "cloud" can surpass the PS4 performance without hardware changes to the Xbox One.