Neowin's NHL Discussion Thread

of course you need offsides. If there were no offisdes games would be boring with scores much like basketball games. Who's gonna go when u score every 5 seconds? Have u really played hockey to know how much of a part of the game offsides are? they have it in basketball (over & back) i think in scocer too

If any rule really needs to be removed, it's the offsides rule. It confuses those new to the game and really slows down the game at times.

It's no more confusing than the Infield Fly rule in baseball, and an offside occurs way more than that so they should learn what it is more quickly.

Heatley Expected To Return Wednesday vs. Blues

ATLANTA (Jan. 27, 2004) -- Thrashers forward Dany Heatley, sidelined since the beginning of the season after knee surgery, is expected to play in Wednesday's game versus the St. Louis Blues at Philips Arena at 7:30 p.m. ET. Heatley returned to full-time practicing with the team last week and the game against the Blues will mark the first time he's played this season.

After Tuesday's practice at the team's IceForum practice facility in Duluth, Ga., Heatley announced to the media that he was ready to return to action.

"I feel 100 percent," said Heatley. "I'm really excited. Tomorrow is my opening night."

The Thrashers have also announced that tomorrow's game will now be televised on Turner South beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET.

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View.aspx?...ac-2c39b6341bdb

awesome!

I want to see that game!

yeah me too, but its not on tv here :angry: , so ill have to listen to the live stream, but ill be able to tape the game friday night

1. Get rid of the instigator penalty. This is the main reason that there is so much stick usage and why the skilled players are constantly abused. This is one of the worst ideas that has been introduced; the players used to police themselves.

2. Make the ice surface larger. Everything in the NHL has gotten bigger except the playing surface.

3. Enforce the rules. The on-ice officials need to call all the clutching, holding, grabbing that occurs, so that the skilled players can do what they do best.

1. Statistically the instigator rule doesn't seem to effect the game much. It's only called in a minority of fights and even if they do put your team down by a man there is only a 20% chance that the opposition will capitalize on it.

2. The larger ice surface of the international games seems to better compensate for the bigger players. I also liked the faster pace and the elimination of the red line.

3. Yea, yea. They try and deal with this every year and they always slack off when it gets closer to the playoffs. There has been a lot of high sticking incidents recently and I think they need to upgrade the penalties for these infractions (like 2 minutes if the stick was NEAR the face, four minutes if it hit someone in the face and a 5 minute major if there was blood). Currently you need to draw blood before you get the double minor (4 minutes).

yeah me too, but its not on tv here :angry: , so ill have to listen to the live stream, but ill be able to tape the game friday night

It is now. Once they heard Heatley was in they picked up the game. I hope you're watching it. :p

Hey played like 22 minutes not bad. First game in how long?

first game since he scored his 40th and 41st goals on april 6th against tampa on fan appreciation day last season. he did indeed play a couple of games in the preseason. its great to have heater back

also, thanks to whoever made this a sticky.

It's no more confusing than the Infield Fly rule in baseball, and an offside occurs way more than that so they should learn what it is more quickly.

While I do agree with that statement, a person that's only seen a few games would not. Most people are put off by the offsides rule who see only a few NHL games. It really sucks the momentum down for new fans to the game.

You need offsides, it keeps players from cherry-picking. Nothing is wrong with the ice surface, do not change it at all. You have to actually play the game, and the defensive position, to understand why you need offsides. Like I said, call some kind of illegal defense when teams run left wing locks or traps. A two minute penalty will really **** off a coach and end it instantly. I will also help with the ratings...

1. Don't take fighting out, new fans come to see that stuff first.

2. Get out there. On 01-26, the Ducks had an off night, so they did something great. Schools from all around So Cal took a field trip to the Pond, the players were doing simple drills and other things to keep the kids occupied. They each got a booklet, with bios for players, stuff about hockey and the equipment, math related to hockey and other subjects. The kids learned about geography from the players home town, and the other subjects vicariously through hockey.

3. Advertise it as the sport it is. The fastest, toughest and hardest sport to play.

4. Make your star players visible, the league needs to get its best players everywhere.

I do not see how it decreases in popularity. Everyone who goes to a live game will admit it is the best sport to see. Roller hockey is the fastest growing sport in the world and is almost surpassing ice in popularity. I just think we are in a generation slump. A few more years all these kids will be older and hopefully the ratings go up. Lets hope there is a league in a few more years though.

I never said it wasn't needed. I said it would make the game more appealing without it, basically. And: many NHL players themself have stated that the ice size needs to be bigger. Super Mario even said that if you're not going to increase the ice size that it needs to go to 4 on 4, which I wouldn't like (4 on 4, that is) overall, but would make it more fun to watch with less players on the ice.

1. Agreed

2. Yeah, that's cool.

3. Agreed again.

4. Completely agreed... Though we need more star players.

It decreases in popularity because people see it on TV and are put off by it. Hockey is probably the best sport, bar none, to go see live. But it isn't that great on TV...

NO, NO, NO DON'T ADVERTISE THE GAME!!!!

Here's why....

First if this really happens, the Canadian hockey teams would be in BIG BIG trouble. Once the game is well known in the states the big sports television networks (FOX, ESPN...) will sign a big contract to the NHL, now here's the problem.

Will the big networks in states broadcast the Canadian hockey team's home games?

Of course not!! because there isn't enough Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Canadians, Ottawa, and Toronto fans in the states!

So what does this mean?

The Canadian hockey teams that's not profitable will move to the states and even if they are profitable they know that they will make a LOT more if they move to the states.

The american hockey teams will be able to afford more talented players but the price of players will definitely go up

Canucks- Eariler in the season they were for sale.

Flames- They haven't been able to make it to the play-offs for the last 7 years and they would need to go DEEP into the play-offs just to break even.

Oilers- They have declined a lot this season and they are the least valuable team in the NHL according to Forbes.

Canadians- A team that's fighting hard to get into the play-offs.

Ottawa- They are bankrupt but they are expected to win the cup.

Leafs- They are the center of media attention because hockey isn't popular in the states.

Whoever stickied this I love you. :laugh: ;) So Heatley's back and Lindros could be done for good. To be honest Lidros was done before this last concusion. Jagr is doing ok suprisingly enough. :p Hasek is on his way back just in time to screw everything up again. EXCELLENT! :p Visors are the most discussed thing in the game. Can we discuss some of these issues rather than the depressing CBA talks that may inevitably kill my favourite sport in the world. Let's talk hockey not business.

It would be cool for them to make visors manditory so then the players coudl wear them wihtout losing 'face' and it woudl help them keep their faces...

While I do agree with that statement, a person that's only seen a few games would not. Most people are put off by the offsides rule who see only a few NHL games. It really sucks the momentum down for new fans to the game.

how is it confusing? Puck goes in before players do. That's all. Its a lot more confusing than those goddamn baseball and football rules. there are similar rules in basketball, football, soccer and rugby. If american's are TRULEY that stupid that they cannot grasp the concept of the puck going in before the players do, then there is a serious education problem in that country. I really doubt that americans are that stupid especially when they can follow complex football strategies/plays.

well $^@& %$#^ $@^$ &%$. :angry: 2 wins in the last month?? gimme a friggen break. were supposed to be good this year. one fuking goal a game isnt gonna get you into the playoffs. absolutely enormous game against tampa tomorrow, a month ago we were 7 points up, now were 9 points back. friggen bs. seriously, things need to get straightened out NOW, or the franchises first playoff berth may have to wait til next season.

well $^@& %$#^ $@^$ &%$. :angry: 2 wins in the last month?? gimme a friggen break. were supposed to be good this year. one fuking goal a game isnt gonna get you into the playoffs. absolutely enormous game against tampa tomorrow, a month ago we were 7 points up, now were 9 points back. friggen bs. seriously, things need to get straightened out NOW, or the franchises first playoff berth may have to wait til next season.

Toronto has a big game tomorrow too. Against division and top-seed rival Ottawa.

I do think it's funny that Atlanta is trying to catch Tampa for 3rd place in the east yet it is unlikely that they could catch the NYI for 8th place in the east.

@ boog: You're the man. :D (Y)

@ boffa: Do you think they should grandfather it like they did with helmets?

@ catnip: Ha my team wooped you. :p

@ fred666: Yes the game verse Ottawa is huge. They've beat us 7-1 twice. I hear nolan should be back. Hopefully we will redeem ourselves. Atlanta's only shot at the playoffs is by winning the division. Otherwise they won't make it imo.

@ most (except one :p ): Thanks for talking hockey guys not CBA. :D

@ catnip: Ha my team wooped you. :p

Atlanta's only shot at the playoffs is by winning the division. Otherwise they won't make it imo.

yes they did, we played pitiful tonight, but its great to have savard and heatley back. i do think there is a chance to have atlanta and tampa both make the playoffs, but our playoff run has to start tomorrow against tampa, this cant go on any longer.

best, yes, but not our only shot. i dont really care how we get in though as long as we do. it has just been brutal lately with all these injuries, no offense, worn out defenders, mediocre goaltending, playing a lot like the atlanta teams of the past 4 years