Neowin's NHL Discussion Thread

Hows your ankles Boffa and Catnip?? Brandwagon jumping will do that.?:laugh:h:p:p

j/k

oh wait, didnt see the j/k there.... man i had a big defense typed up about being a thrashers fan from day 1 and about the importance of team loyalty, and i didnt even get to use it.. ill have to save that for later.. go thrashers!

oh wait, didnt see the j/k there.... man i had a big defense typed up about being a thrashers fan from day 1 and about the importance of team loyalty, and i didnt even get to use it.. ill have to save that for later.. go thrashers!

lol. It was just a joke dudes. :p

i like that goalies cant play the puck behind the net. but whether you like the rules or not, this could be a big step towards a labor agreement. a 2005 nhl season with a few rules you dont like is better than no season at all.

Yes, but the thing is many goalies (and even players, according to articles I've seen) don't like the new rules at all, so the labor union probably wouldn't be for it...

Yes, but the thing is many goalies (and even players, according to articles I've seen) don't like the new rules at all, so the labor union probably wouldn't be for it...

Perhaps the strategy was to propose two rule changes involving goaltenders so as to have them agree to at least one (pad size).

Possibly, but I don't think the other rules involving goalies made them more willing to concede to the pad size. Honestly, I think they were more willing to accept it before they announced these "rules" than they are now.

lol. I just started watching hockey again during the playoffs last year for the first time since the jets left winnipeg. At the end of last year I just liked the wild because they kicked out colorado. At teh beginning of this year in the pre-season i chose ottawa atlanta and teh wild to be my teams. I have givin up hope on atlanta and more or less the wild, but if they make it thats awesome. Other than that Ottawa is cool and im all ofr every canadian team making the playoffs

Well, they certainly did get him at a good price (and the Capitals didn't do so bad, either), but I don't know if he'll really stick around there long. I'm not sure if he'll fit in, either... Not quite sure why they really need him, though.

Bondra is a Senator now! good move for ottawa but i dont really think they need him unless they plan on trading one of their other forwards in the near future.

Not such a great move in my opinion. Ottawa will never be succesfull in the playoffs unless they toughen up. They need grit to contend with Toronto or Philly.

As for my team, I hear the names O'neil, Gonchar and possibly Pronger. If I could have any I'd take Pronger. He's the piece that will get us a cup.

:woot: :woot: did anyone happen to see the end of the thrashers/senators game?? AWESOME! Atlanta was down 2-1 and scored the tying goal with 10.1 seconds to go, then scored the game winner about a minute into OT.. thats 2 wins in a row and 3 of 4.. still 10 points out of the playoffs, but that was awesome

:woot: :woot: did anyone happen to see the end of the thrashers/senators game?? AWESOME! Atlanta was down 2-1 and scored the tying goal with 10.1 seconds to go, then scored the game winner about a minute into OT.. thats 2 wins in a row and 3 of 4.. still 10 points out of the playoffs, but that was awesome

The thrashers did my Leafs a big favour so thanks dudes.

Well, they certainly did get him at a good price (and the Capitals didn't do so bad, either), but I don't know if he'll really stick around there long. I'm not sure if he'll fit in, either... Not quite sure why they really need him, though.

It seemed pretty one sided to me. Peter Bondra for a 2nd round pick and a non-roster player? Ottawa even gets the club option for next year (if there is one) so it's not just a rent a player.

It's only a passable deal for Washington if there is a work stoppage and Ottawa can't use their club option. It's a fantastic deal for Ottawa if they can use it.

Washington is in financial trouble this year and they are not going to make the playoffs. They don't want to get stuck with the contracts over the work stoppage so they are having a fire sale.

Minnesota is kind of picking up a bit too, I hope they can do something and get into the playoffs again this year. By the way I know this is hardcore noob, but how do the teams get into the playoffs, is it the top eight from the East and top eight from the West?

but how do the teams get into the playoffs, is it the top eight from the East and top eight from the West?

Yes thats correct. The winner of each division also gets a top 3 position. Hope that helps. ;)

Minnesota is kind of picking up a bit too, I hope they can do something and get into the playoffs again this year. By the way I know this is hardcore noob, but how do the teams get into the playoffs, is it the top eight from the East and top eight from the West?

Each Conference is made up of Three divisions. The division leaders are ranked 1 to 3 by their overall points. The rest of the conference teams are ranked 4-8 and are placed by overall points.

If two teams are tied in points for a spot the tie breakers are as follows:

1st Tiebreaker is Wins.

2nd is the winner of the season series of the tied teams.

3rd is Overall Goals For..

w00t, Red Wings are now in first place again :D

The best thing that ever happened to the wings was hasek calling it quits this year. No more goalie controversy is exactly what you need.

The best thing that ever happened to the wings was hasek calling it quits this year. No more goalie controversy is exactly what you need.

I don't think there ever really was a controversy with Hasek getting injured so early in the year.

But, actually, there still is controversy. Some people (myself included) think Legace is the best man for the job. I don't really care who's playing in goal as long as we're winning, though.

Roenick is considering calling it quits after his 9th concussion. He's really displeased with Hitchcock and may have had enough. Too bad cause he's an entertaining guy to watch.

Hasek and Joseph was a controvery. Thankfully the whiner Hasek is gone and won't be flopping around any time soon. As for Legace being better than Joseph, you are nuts. Joseph has experience which is very important in the playoffs. Legace needs a season of action before going into playoff action. He's not in any position to run in and win a cup. Cujo will be the man in the playoffs for you and that's the way it should be.