Neowin's NHL Discussion Thread

Dude use your head. The playoffs is a different story. Legace's only experience in the playoff is in bench warming. Sorry dude but CuJo can win you a cup Legace would only be on the winning team.

Use my head?

You mean the same head that stores the memories of Joseph's absolutely HORRID playoff appearances last year and his common chokes in the playoffs where he lets in "soft goals" that shouldn't even be allowed in the regular season? Oh, that head.

Consider that goalies with very little playoff experience have proven that it really means very little anymore in the past 4 or so years.

Not quite sure, to be honest. Maybe one or two.

But, as I said, look at the goalies last year who played in their first playoffs game. And even before that you had some good, fresh goalies who did well. And they all were on mediocre to decent teams. Tell me what would happen if a goalie like that played for an elite team.

Playoff experience for goalies is good and all and does help, but it's the skill that really matters. And Legace is highly skilled. I'd rather have him between the pipes than CuJo.

(Nice way to change the subject, too :laugh: )

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because there's no way that you can convince me that Legace is better than CuJo. The coaches of the Wings are the most knowledgable on this subject and you'll see that they choose Joseph. :p

(I try. :laugh: )

True... I have very little doubt that CuJo will at least start the first two games of the playoffs. But I'm not sure if they'll pull him in favor of Legace soon thereafter.

:)

Playoff starts is a BS misconception. Take a look at Giguere last year and the whole Ducks team for that matter. It does not matter about experience, if you are a player unfaised by pressure, it wont matter. The Red Wings will be fine this year, Hatcher will be back come playoffs. He is the last defensemen I would want to go into the corner with to get a loose puck, then maybe Rob Blake. Detroit better do it this year though, Yzerman is going to retire after this year and no one in hockey deserves to go out on top like he does. When you think Red Wings hockey, you think of Steve Yzerman, NOT Gordie Howe.

I am looking forward to my Ducks extending this nice little push they have going now though, no one will want to play them in the playoffs. They have gotten some forwards back from injuries and trades. Plus Ozolinsh and Neidermeyer are coming back from injuries soon. So everyone sleep on Anaheim again, Federov will prove his status as the most complete player in hockey. I hope they play Colorado in the first round too, I want to see Kariya on his ass.

Playoff starts is a BS misconception. Take a look at Giguere last year and the whole Ducks team for that matter. It does not matter about experience, if you are a player unfaised by pressure, it wont matter. The Red Wings will be fine this year, Hatcher will be back come playoffs. He is the last defensemen I would want to go into the corner with to get a loose puck, then maybe Rob Blake. Detroit better do it this year though, Yzerman is going to retire after this year and no one in hockey deserves to go out on top like he does. When you think Red Wings hockey, you think of Steve Yzerman, NOT Gordie Howe.

I am looking forward to my Ducks extending this nice little push they have going now though, no one will want to play them in the playoffs. They have gotten some forwards back from injuries and trades. Plus Ozolinsh and Neidermeyer are coming back from injuries soon. So everyone sleep on Anaheim again, Federov will prove his status as the most complete player in hockey. I hope they play Colorado in the first round too, I want to see Kariya on his ass.

Wow, this was a very candid post.

First, Giguere was not the sole reason the Ducks did so well. They trapped like mad and bored other teams to sleep. That's why they were so successful. Granted Giguere was awesome but Legace wouldn't have the trap to help him as the Wings are a run and gun team. Hatcher will help the defensive core a lot. He is a big strong guy that will do wonders for the Wings. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the scariest guy back there but he's top 5. I'd say the massive Chris Pronger or Rob Blake would top my list. As for Yzerman, he is a great leader for his team. He will be inspirational in their cup drive. I wouldn't say he's more recognizable of a Wing as Howe but they are definately on a par.

Now for the Ducks. Giguere is undergoing what I like to refer to as the sophemore jynx. He played amazing last year but has not been stellar thus far. Much like what Theodore underwent just a year ago. I, personally, don't like Ozolinsh as he is a hog with the puck and gives it a way in what often results in goals. Fedorov is a good player but not the most complete in the league. He does not have to physical power that a counter part such as Foresberg has. I also don't believe he is the leader that everyone is cracking him up to be. I expect the Ducks to end the season well but not do nearly as well in the playoffs as they did last year.

Giguere definitely wasn't the sole reason why the Ducks were doing well. I said it to a friend about 3/4 of the way through the year that I didn't want the Wings to play them in the first round of the playoff because they were tearing it up the second half of the season.

But, I must agree that it really just depends on the goalie. If you take pressure well then there should be few problems. I think Legace could easily be that kind of goalie if he were given such a chance. You have to start somewhere, just as Osgood turned into a good (not amazing, but good) goalie when he was given the reins.

I also don't think Giguere is ever going to be the player he was during the second half (and playoffs) of last year. He may become a decent goalie again, but I just can't picture him ever getting back to that amazing status that he had. As BMac said, though, Fedorov really isn't the league. I think he's the best two-way player in the league, but he really is nothing for a leader. I really can't see the Ducks going anywhere in the playoffs, but you never know.

Giguere definitely wasn't the sole reason why the Ducks were doing well. I said it to a friend about 3/4 of the way through the year that I didn't want the Wings to play them in the first round of the playoff because they were tearing it up the second half of the season.

But, I must agree that it really just depends on the goalie. If you take pressure well then there should be few problems. I think Legace could easily be that kind of goalie if he were given such a chance. You have to start somewhere, just as Osgood turned into a good (not amazing, but good) goalie when he was given the reins.

I also don't think Giguere is ever going to be the player he was during the second half (and playoffs) of last year. He may become a decent goalie again, but I just can't picture him ever getting back to that amazing status that he had. As BMac said, though, Fedorov really isn't the league. I think he's the best two-way player in the league, but he really is nothing for a leader. I really can't see the Ducks going anywhere in the playoffs, but you never know.

Giguere plays textbook goaltending with little extras. I agree, he had a great run but will probably never return to that state.

Glad to see we agree on Anahiem. I think you could argue that Foresberg is the best two way play, but he gets more recognition because he checks. Remember Federov played defense for Detroit for a while so he is good both ways.

Forsberg and Fedorov are probably the top two two-way players in the league, I won't deny that. I don't quite know who's better, but I think there's no arguing they're both good at what they do.

Although, Forsberg does "flop" a lot ;) There was some quote about Forsberg being good about hockey because he 'was on the Sweedish diving team', LMAO... I don't recall who stated it, but it was funny. He's still a darn good hockey player with or without the diving ;)

Forsberg and Fedorov are probably the top two two-way players in the league, I won't deny that. I don't quite know who's better, but I think there's no arguing they're both good at what they do.

Although, Forsberg does "flop" a lot ;) There was some quote about Forsberg being good about hockey because he 'was on the Sweedish diving team', LMAO... I don't recall who stated it, but it was funny. He's still a darn good hockey player with or without the diving ;)

Whether or not Foresberg sometimes dives he's still far tougher than Federov. Foresberg would kill Federov in a fight.

Yes, but that's not the question. The question is who's a better two way player, not who'd win in a fight ;)

But we all know what this is going to boil down to, so let's just get this out of the way: my dad could beat up your dad. ;) lol

But we all know what this is going to boil down to, so let's just get this out of the way: my dad could beat up your dad. ;) lol

:rofl:

Oh ya well my mom could beat up your mom. :p

lol, this thread needs some more posting, i was just trying to jump start it by making someone talk.. On a 'related note' Pittsburg beat Pheoninx!!!

yeah, they were going to win eventually. (Y)

red wings beat the flames tonight, so i have nothing to complain about. :D

I had originally posted something about the high cost of a rumoured Sergei Gonchar trade to Toronto.

It had been rumoured to include either Stajan or Antropov along with Coliacavo and a 1st round pick.

I notice that today's Star suggests the Brian Leech could be had easily for half of that price. Leech is about seven years older than Sergei Gonchar but could accomplish a similar effect without selling the farm.

You can find the article at http://waymoresports.thestar.com