Neowin's NHL Discussion Thread

those of you in america, the thrashers are on ESPN2 right now playing the flyers, 1-0 Atlanta after the 1st period. i know a lot of you probably havent seen much of this team, if you get a chance, you should give them a look tonight.

Thrashers win over philly 4-1. that was impressive, hopefully that gave the nation a good look at atlanta and proved that they were for real, just like ive said all along. great win tonight over the best record in the league :)

blind refs, missed a few boarding calls, and a few dives. too bad kovalchuck can't hold his self up against brashear, little kids. :)

oh come on give us a little credit :rolleyes:

They need a goalie before they'll win though. Cloutier won't cut it.

Cloutier is fine this year. It takes a team to win a game, not just the goalie. That goes for any NHL team. Don't forget Hedberg too. He was an awesome steal! Just like Naslund! w00t.

Wings VS Thrashers... Whew... What'd you expect from the two highest scoring teams in the league? :D

that was an impressive showing by atlanta last night. sure they lost, but they earned a point in the standings and in the process showed yet again that they are ready to play with the big boys of the NHL. i cant wait for playoff time :D

I hope that the return of Heatley (whether it's in a month or playoff time) isn't a distraction for the team. I worry there will be mixed reactions towards him causing a team distraction. If they can accept that it was an accident and they welcome him back with open arms then watch out cause next year they'll be a team to be reckoned with. If not I fear they'll need to trade him and that would only hurt hockey in Atlanta.

that was an impressive showing by atlanta last night. sure they lost, but they earned a point in the standings and in the process showed yet again that they are ready to play with the big boys of the NHL. i cant wait for playoff time :D

Yep! I'm pretty good at picking the surprise teams... I picked the Canes in 2002, Lightning last year, and Atlanta this year (no joke on all three!)... Only thing is I thought that the Blue Jackets were going to be a bit better, too :laugh:

Anyways, glad to see Zetterberg is tearing it up right once he got back. Datsyuk and him are going to be amazing in the future -- Lidstrom, when he was going to buy a car with Zetterberg, called him the next Yzerman. I think he's right.

I would totally disagree with the Yzerman statement. Zetterberg is a very talented player for sure but Steve Yzerman is a leader like no other to ever play the game. He leads the wings, in national events he is the leader of Canada and so forth. Zetterberg may have the talent Yzerman had but at the moment it appears he will never be the leader Stevie Y is and was.

No, Zetterberg is an excellent leader from what we know. He's very wise with the puck, too. You've got to remember that Yzerman was pretty much in the same position as Zetterberg when he came (except he was drafted high, unlike Zetterberg) and he was given the 'C' rather quick... Then again, that was in the '80s. But people in Detroit really like him, as well as the coaching staff. I think with Lidstrom says that he'll be the next Yzerman that it really shows his support for him... If he didn't think that he wouldn't have said it. When you have someone like Lidstrom who trusts your talent and leadership I don't see where you can go wrong.

No, Zetterberg is an excellent leader from what we know. He's very wise with the puck, too. You've got to remember that Yzerman was pretty much in the same position as Zetterberg when he came (except he was drafted high, unlike Zetterberg) and he was given the 'C' rather quick... Then again, that was in the '80s. But people in Detroit really like him, as well as the coaching staff. I think with Lidstrom says that he'll be the next Yzerman that it really shows his support for him... If he didn't think that he wouldn't have said it. When you have someone like Lidstrom who trusts your talent and leadership I don't see where you can go wrong.

I never doubted his talent I said it's impossible to fill Yzerman's leadership shoes. How bout last year in the playoffs Yzerman played on what was dubbed (never confirmed) broken leg. That takes a certain type of talent that we have not seen from Zetterberg. He was hurt and took his time to get better. That's good no doubt but come playoff time Stevie never lets his team down. There has never been a player like him on the wings since Howe. I appreciate the fact that Lidstrom speaks highly of him but I don't think he meant it in the way your thinking. He meant it as in production, offensively and hopefully defensively, not in the leadership way. Yzerman is one in a million in terms of leadership. Lidstrom should not throw Zetterberg in Stevie's shadow. Look what it did to a man named Daigle. Zetterberg's a great talent but lets not count chickens before the eggs hatch.