Removing Network Locations in Windows 8

Network discovery isn't an exact science with Windows 7+.

It's a mess of NetBIOS, DNS, WINS (If available), UPNP, RIP (If the feature is enabled) and sends/receives discovery information to/from compatible peers (other workstations).

You can try disabling network discovery, restart workstation, re-enable and re-run discovery.

Or you can try the following commands as needed:

Clear DNS cache:
ipconfig /flushdns

Clear NetBIOS cache:
nbtstat ?R

Clear ARP cache:
arp -d *

But you'll likely need to run any clean up tasks or rediscovery on all workstations or zombie machines will keep coming back in the short term.

You can look to see the discovery method - go to details on your view and then make sure you select the discovery method column (right click column headings), might as well add mac and IP as well to help identify the item if that info is given.

post-14624-0-86583100-1398600786.png

After we know the discovery method, have better idea how to remove it, etc.

SeH0VCq.png

I used HostGator's VBS script to add the network location. Doesn't work very well mostly because it just displays an empty folder once you click there and you have to manually type DavWWWRoot in the address bar to go anywhere, so I just manually added a network drive. Can't seem to be able to delete this network location though.

Are you trying to hide the NetBIOS name altogether? You need to make sure it has a unique one or else you face multiple issues on the LAN.

You can disable NetBIOS broadcast at the router, or in Windows Network Connection Properties (along with a couple of other ways if that doesn't work).

Its seems he ran some sort of script to add a network location - and something went wrong with it.. Unless he whited out the entries there is no computer name or workgroup, etc.

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough. The script did work and added the location, but the main issue I ran into is when I double clicked on the network location, it would show was the folder being empty, even though it was't. 

ZPKQKvz.jpg

To access the folder I had to manually type \DavWWWRoot\ on the address bar.

YefZqF1.jpg

But I didn't want to go through all this trouble so I just mapped a network drive and that worked beautifully.

muROTVJ.jpg

At this point I'm really just looking for a way to remove the network location that was added by the VBS script provided by HostGator, but Windows doesn't give the option to have that removed

I don't have an account for them - and I didn't see where to grab this script in a cursory look..

In the Files section, click the Web Disk icon.

Scroll down to the Main Web Disk Account section and click Access Web Disk.

Choose your operating system (for your personal computer).

Click Download Quick Start Script.

In the File Download pop-up, click Save File and save the file to your local computer.

On your computer, open and run the file.

Could you post this script so we could see what they did to add it. If all they did is add a shortcut you should be able to just highlight it and delete it.