How unique is a 2 USD bill?

Hi all

I've never seen a 2 USD bill before and honestly, I didn't even know it exist.

According to Wikipedia, these bills are still made, but how unique is such bill actually?

fT2VSqs.jpg

dhxGFXy.jpg

i99jsLC.jpg

I don't know if any other country has ever used a 2 dollar bill.

I remember these were sometimes considered 'bad luck', since they were associated with race tracks and betting.

There actually was a 3 dollar bill printed in the 1800's, featuring Santa Claus.

Remember that when you hear, 'phony as a 3 dollar bill' ....

Not that common but cool if you can get some, usually have to go to the bank and request them

When waiting tables, I always liked getting them.  I had one guy that always got a bundle when going on vacation, then that's what he tipped with.

I've only gotten one silver certificate.  It's got red ink.  Those are definitely more rare, but I don't think the value is particularly high, even on those.  I thought it was fake when I got it.

Overall, I can only say, I've received them back as change one or twice my whole life.  Maybe most people keep them, like me.

They are more common than you think.  My wife used to be a bank teller and had plenty in her cash drawer that nobody ever wanted.  She would often give them out to people who wanted unique items for their grandchildren or kids.  They are not printed anymore as far as I know, but they are still pretty cool to have.   I have heard stories of fast food places rejecting them because they thought they were fake until the much older manager came and took it for the customer. 

On the subject of $2 bills, check out this little video about them on YouTube by Casey Neistat..

I highly recommend subscribing to his YouTube channel - he posts some great stuff :) 

They are not really special and aren't worth any more than face value but they aren't used very much by the general public. I believe one of the reasons is because a lot of people hoard them because they think they are rare. Same problem with dollar coins, some people save them because they seem rare. I think another issue is that with $1 and $5 bills there was never much of a purpose for $2 bills. Most cash drawers aren't even set up with a slot for them and you never get them in change so that leads to even fewer in circulation. They actually are still being printed though and you can get them from any bank.

I don't know if any other country has ever used a 2 dollar bill.

I remember these were sometimes considered 'bad luck', since they were associated with race tracks and betting.

There actually was a 3 dollar bill printed in the 1800's, featuring Santa Claus.

Remember that when you hear, 'phony as a 3 dollar bill' ....

The $2USD bill started the current run simultaneously with the Bicentennial; thus the Series 1976 is especially prized among collectors.  However, because it is a non-odd bill (as opposed to the $1USD and $5USD) not many are in circulation (compared to either the $1USD or even the $5USD) - you could likely get a praise from a bank for requesting some as part of your check-cashing or other withdrawal (no - the $2USD is never loaded into ATMs).

The reverse of the $2USD is unusual in that it remains unchanged since the adoption of anti-counterfeiting methodology by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing - it remains the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

After my mother died I got a box of some US money and other Countries money.  It was given to her from her dad.  We have a few red $2 bills.  I think a Blue $2 or Blue $5.  

Money from Germany,  $1,000 bill.  It's not a Euro, I'm not sure what it is.   Some bills from France,  a bunch of other random money from all over.  I'm always curious what some of the stuff is worth.  

EDIT: 

According to this site: 

http://coinmill.com/DEM_calculator.html#DEM=1000

That bill is $700 USD...Interesting.  

Made by Parker Brothers :p

You need to realize that having different colours for different value is a great idea. Same as the metric system.

these were everywhere until the early 90s

il_570xN.434409258_6q60.jpg

God i would not want to go back to using 1$ and 2$ bills instead of coins.

You need to realize that having different colours for different value is a great idea. Same as the metric system.

And Canada is part of 'America' -- even bigger than the United States. ;)

I remember running into one or two. Given how infrequently I use cash, it seems to me that there are still a fair number circulating out there.

pre-1976 ones are worth money. They released a slew of $2.00 bills for the 200 year anniversary - the ones with the image of the signing of the Declaration.  There were so many in circulation, people were sick of them.