The idea I have

sell it as a house phone..lol

actually I own a new samsung android phone that is being used as wifi only for sms and phone calls using talkatone.

but really though you could sell your phone  with those cheap(free) local area plans. for people that can not afford $40 dollar a month plans.

Seems as if I indeed, missed your post. Havent thought about the cost, profits is something I do not look for. Just for my own good, my own fun is this project. And niche market is it already, its not a smartphone ;)

I haven't really followed this discussion, but my initial thought is that the battery is going to be the biggest problem.  If you want the charge to last 2 months, you're going to to have to revolutionize battery technology.  A cellular radio is power hungry, and even if the phone is a plastic box with only buttons, a speaker, and a mic, you'll need a pretty huge battery to achieve a 2 month charge.

Battery tech hasn't progressed much in the past decade since anode/cathode swelling and heat are massive problems when making a dense battery.  The only solution is to make a less dense, thus bigger, battery, but that severely hurts weight and portability.  This is the reason why smart watches and electric cars won't be a great value until somebody discovers a battery breakthrough.  Whoever figures it out will be an instant billionaire.

@ Astra.Xtreme , it has been covered in thread. Two months for standby. Not impossible, if nokia 105 with 800mah battery, screen, and more adds can get 35 days of standby out of single charge.

Talk times is different story, of course

And niche market is it already, its not a smartphone ;)

By niche, I mean like an expensive high quality but limited fashion phone for rich people to show off. Maybe you could strike a deal with bulgari (bvlgari).

Okay, here is the first ever (and bad-bad-bad) render of a new idea, with screen:

untitled18.png

Just checking in whether im on a right track here, before polishing it. So the idea here is somewhat more complex, and of course, would be more expensive, the screen is transparent, all way around. Something like some Sony phones used to have for lighting, I would use as screen:

Sony-Xperia-See-Through-Transparent-.jpg

ye or ne?

EDIT: looking further this kind of thing has been done bfore, let me introduce you to Xperia Pureness:

sony_ericsson_xperia_pureness.jpg

and LG Crystal:

lg-crystal-1.jpg

again, when you have final design and everything worked out, kickstarter and indiegogo would throw money at this like candy on Halloween.

Yeah, and I need to work everything out before that, and I mean everything, not only design. I need to have at least some type of prototype to show off

Yeah, and I need to work everything out before that, and I mean everything, not only design. I need to have at least some type of prototype to show off

Yup, specs, OS, hardware, etc.

It does look plenty promising for what it is. However, giving some thought into it... I myself, need whatsapp at the very least some sort of messaging (as I'm a hard messager with people cross countries)  and given how the majority of people are into some sort of social networking... I can see this phone though, going up in some sort of work type atmosphere. 

Yup, specs, OS, hardware, etc.

It does look plenty promising for what it is. However, giving some thought into it... I myself, need whatsapp at the very least some sort of messaging (as I'm a hard messager with people cross countries)  and given how the majority of people are into some sort of social networking... I can see this phone though, going up in some sort of work type atmosphere. 

you will need a smartphone for whatsapp...

The OP is working on the cellphone... not smartphone.

you will need a smartphone for whatsapp...

The OP is working on the cellphone... not smartphone.

yup I agree, alls I was pointing out is the demand for normal cellphone keeps going down and down.

No, after considering alot, I wiill not give up my original idea - the first project, and I call it the first one, will be screenless. Reasons? Simpler to design (schematics wise and all other ways one could think of), cost effective and thats it. Im not super genius to figure all out at the first time round now, am i? Lets face it, designing a board to do all the cellular stuff is going to be a harsh and tons of work for my first project anyway, especially since im quite new to it, and just starting to learn it. Easier to program etc. I will say this though: if I will be successful with this one, I will do another similar project.

Therefore, I bring to you a new, final model I have in mind:untitled30.png

Middle frame is metal, its just in the middle (kind of like apples iphone 4), but the deal here is, its magnetic, strong magnets hold it still, therefore no screws or sim slots is present to user, one simply removes it to access screws for disassemble or insert sim, change battery maybe also.
Front is polycarbonate, but it has this soft kind of coating on it, giving it sort of rubbery feel, you know, like the Thinkpads used to have.

Buttons themselves contain of two materials, glass and same soft plastic.

It has motor to put it in vibrating mode (holding down 9 key, you know its on when it vibrates, off when it makes a tiny beep). Some keys also double as +/#/* keys, not all is figured out yet.

Oh and it has wireless charging build in, just to remove any ports (since it will be designed to be water and dustproof)

And thats all there is as of now, new ideas/implementations still welcome

There should be pound (#) and asterisk (*) symbols on the phone too. Almost every voicemail and automated answering service requires you to use these two buttons. Also letters on the number keys would be a must as well.

There should be pound (#) and asterisk (*) symbols on the phone too. Almost every voicemail and automated answering service requires you to use these two buttons. Also letters on the number keys would be a must as well.

Since I'm building it for myself, and I do not live in US, the phone numbers 1-800-TEXT does not mean anything to me, therefore the letters are unneccessary.

As for # and *, the thing is, voicemails and such only listen to the tone it returns (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_keypad ) therefore if I can get the same action out of some other key some sort of action, it should still work fine. I dont use the voicemail either actually, so that would not be huge problem for me, but yeah, the seperate keys are actually not neccessary

Since I'm building it for myself, and I do not live in US, the phone numbers 1-800-TEXT does not mean anything to me, therefore the letters are unneccessary.

As for # and *, the thing is, voicemails and such only listen to the tone it returns (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_keypad ) therefore if I can get the same action out of some other key some sort of action, it should still work fine. I dont use the voicemail either actually, so that would not be huge problem for me, but yeah, the seperate keys are actually not neccessary

Well, if you are building it for yourself, then why post stuff here?

You aren't thinking right.. because someone else will steal your idea and start the mass production that looks like your phone.   You get mad because you will say "Hey! That is my idea... dammit!"  Too bad.

If you want to show off, then just wait until you got the final stage of the phone and show us your photos of your new phone.

Thought I'd get some good ideas to improve it, before starting the build process. And guess what, I did get quite a few.

As for someone stealing, I dont think this idea is as huge to be worth stealing anyway, and I cannot see any company being innovative or big enough to actually build it with the standards and quality I have in mind. Especially not startups, some creaking plasticky things just do not work out for me. I spend as many resources as I can to achieve this, no matter what.

Oh.. and I will post a build log and such, dont really care if anyone steals it, builds it themselves, or whatever, im just being kind here ;)

Thought I'd get some good ideas to improve it, before starting the build process. And guess what, I did get quite a few.

As for someone stealing, I dont think this idea is as huge to be worth stealing anyway, and I cannot see any company being innovative or big enough to actually build it with the standards and quality I have in mind. Especially not startups, some creaking plasticky things just do not work out for me. I spend as many resources as I can to achieve this, no matter what.

Oh.. and I will post a build log and such, dont really care if anyone steals it, builds it themselves, or whatever, im just being kind here ;)

No you didn't get the ideas from us because you changed mind and used the final render that shows us that you won't use the screen and keypad placement that I suggested earlier.

:rolleyes:

But I did get others, for example, doubling keys as dual function and Bigkaye post in first page brought new ideas to table, smartwatch integration thingy seems interesting too, although I'm not sure it'll make it. One would sure need watch when you cant even get that from a phone, but I might somehow add that functionality too (eg hold 5, show sequence of current time, whatever)

But I did get others, for example, doubling keys as dual function and Bigkaye post in first page brought new ideas to table, smartwatch integration thingy seems interesting too, although I'm not sure it'll make it. One would sure need watch when you cant even get that from a phone, but I might somehow add that functionality too (eg hold 5, show sequence of current time, whatever)

OK but what if people do not want a watch?  I don't want a watch.

People rather have the screen on the phone. They don't want a watch or link it to the phone.

I'm sure there are lots of things that you use of your phone besides calling and watch today, therefore I'd say - you're not the target market. At the moment, noone is, but me. And I did give a simple example how clock could be easily implemented, only matter of programming it in.