Plz help me configure XP for 3D software

I use a AMD 1,8 ghz pc with 1500 ddram and a 128 mb ram graphics card.

The following software is installed not counting XP:-)

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Acrobat

Maxon Cinema Cinema 4D

I have all the latest drive installed.

I patched XP with Uxtheme so I can use diffente windows ms styles

******************************************************************************************

Here is my 3D software related problem...

The other day when I tried to render one of my HDRI scenes with a robot I modeled, I thought I take a look at taskmanager to

see how much CPU and memory cinema 4d crunched up.

And as usually when rendering big scenes on my modest pc machine CPU usage goes up to 94-100 % but in taskmanager also saw that cinema 4d was only using 600 mb of my ddram ? other processes runinng at that time consumed about around 50-100 ddram.

*This made me wonder were is the rest of my memory if 700 mb were allocated for usage at that point ?

*Shoulden?t there be about 800 ddram free somewere in my machine that i could assign to cinema 4d to speed it up ?

Things I?ve tried to speed up rendering time are ...

***I?ve tried shutting down diffrente services to speed up render time but shutting down services only seem to speed up XP usage not 3D software ?

***I?ve tried differente membooster softwares but I haven?t noticed any boost to render time here either.

I?ve seen post here on Neowin for gaming computer configs that boost preformance when gamming so there shoulden?t be that big diffrence when doing a good 3d software config or is it ?

Im not soo into whats under the shell in XP and how to optimize it, the only things a now a little bit about is 3D software and modelling /animation

character design :)c. :)

Im soon going to buy a true 3d graphics card for 3d software, but for now it would be nice to allocate more memory to cinema 4d or

to boost preformance some other way so please help me neowin :)ople :)

post-11-1071608305.jpg

how much physical ram do you have, and how big is your page file?

to find your page file size: open system properties in control panel and look on the advanced tab. in the performance box, click settings. on the advanced tab, look at the bottom. it will show the total page file size there.

I think most 3D programs use the processor for rendering and the RAM, video memory for workspace view. If you really want to speed it up, you should get a nice fast processor. And although it won't help much, you can turn off the XP graphical effects and stuff.

The CPU is where the rendering is done, the ram just stores the data when the cpu renders it. If you want to speed up your rendering you wanna get more cpu power behind it. but since its using 95% of your cpu you aint gonna get its running quicker with your current setup.

Your better off getting a quicker cpu to help with your rendering time, a graffics card will only help a little when in the program, not rendering

See the attached image here for more info on pshysical mem and page file

I have two hard drives on me machine one with XP and the software i use

and the other with page sysfile on it + a lot of textures and HDRI images for my 3D software.

post-11-1071609243.jpg

Guess I have to get myself a super pentium processor and a new graphics card :-)

Do anyone know what kind of super machines they used to render thoose scences in the beginning of animatrix you know thoose sences maid by the same people that maid final fantasy spirits from whitin ?

web Links to manufactor of thoose 3D supermachines anyone ? would be nice to check out prices of thoose

monsters :-)

Thnx for the reply?s so far guys I have to go to bed now so I?ll check this thread tomorrow

Heh, they're probably only a few hundred thousand dollars :rofl: I think most of them are clusters of smaller computers.

But, you can use those beasts for your renders! There are render farms where you can send them your picture and they render it, charging you per hour and depending on the software you use.

Edited by Banjo

Guess I have to get myself a super pentium processor and a new graphics card :-)

Do anyone know what kind of super machines they used to render thoose scences in the beginning of animatrix you know thoose sences maid by the same people that maid final fantasy spirits from whitin ?

web Links to manufactor of thoose 3D supermachines anyone ? would be nice to check out prices of thoose

monsters :-)

Thnx for the reply?s so far guys I have to go to bed now so I?ll check this thread tomorrow

If money isnt a issue then your looking at a render farm to do that sortta thing, look to spend upwards of $500 000 for them.

For "home" 3d look for p4 system with HT, wont cost you a bomb and will be better than your current setup. graphics wise look at a resable 3d gamers card, wont cost the earth and will give decent performance.

For a nice site with some cool hardware look at http://www.sgi.com they got some nice pro kit there, but there are alot of $$$ envolved !