Xbox One vs PS4: Who won 2014?

Personally I don't think it needs ANY exclusives if it runs 99% of cross platform titles better.  The vast majority of big games are cross platform so I'd rather run them better then have a few exclusive games.  That said though yes there are big PS4 exclusives coming out.  Sony even did a video on it:

I'd say the most "must have" ones based on hype are Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

If your prefer a somewhat higher resolution above potentially really good games, then you have your priorities wrong in my opinion.

I'd say the most "must have" ones based on hype are Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

I'm looking forward to Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7 and Planet Side 2 which are exclusive to the PS4 for consoles.

If your prefer a somewhat higher resolution above potentially really good games, then you have your priorities wrong in my opinion.

The only exclusives scheduled for release on the Xbox One in 2015 are Halo 5, Quantum Break and Fable Legends.

As a fan of previous Fable games I actually have no interest in Fable Legends. I loved fable and fable 2, didn't like fable 3 and I have seen the trailers of Fable Legends and it just doesn't appeal to me.

I haven't played or liked Halo in a long time so again zero interest and for Quantum Break it could be okay but I'm more interested in a bunch of multiplatform games than it.

Also instead of making ambiguous posts suggesting the X1 has some potentially good games coming can you tell us what these games are? As the line up I know of is far from impressive.

If there are 30 really good games released in a year and my choices are playing 22 of them at higher resolution and/or higher framerates and/or more detail (because they're cross platform) and not playing those other 8 or playing all 30 but with those 22 at lower resolution and/or framerate then yeah, I'll give up those few games happily.  That's not really the choice though anyway because as I went on to say in my post the PS4 DOES have exclusives as well so no matter which console you choose you're going to miss out on some really good games (unless you buy both).

I'm looking forward to Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7 and Planet Side 2 which are exclusive to the PS4 for consoles.

Make sure you've signed up for the PlanetSide 2 Closed Beta then:

https://www.planetside2.com/ps2onps4

It starts on Jan. 20 so we've less then 2 weeks left to wait!

The order 1886 so far isn't shaping out to be good. The press got really bad impression of the game with the tgs build and sony experiance build didn't help it either. With no co-op, no mp and maybe 8-15 hours of single player. I don't have high hopes for that game. 

Personally I don't think it needs ANY exclusives if it runs 99% of cross platform titles better.  The vast majority of big games are cross platform so I'd rather run them better then have a few exclusive games.  That said though yes there are big PS4 exclusives coming out.  Sony even did a video on it:

The order 1886 so far isn't shaping out to be good. The press got really bad impression of the game with the tgs build and sony experiance build didn't help it either. With no co-op, no mp and maybe 8-15 hours of single player. I don't have high hopes for that game. 

Personally I'm not looking forward to any of those games I listed, I was just going by hype.  I've had every PlayStation and I've never played a single Uncharted game, nor have I ever played Demon Souls or the like.  I couldn't care less about FPS games like Halo (or Destiny) either.  Most of the games I'm looking forward to next year a cross platform (Arkham Knight probably being the biggest).  Out of that 15 exclusives video I think the biggest ones I'm looking forward to are No Mans Sky and Alienation but they pale in comparison to my desire to play Arkham Knight.

Arkham Knight looks awesome, Still haven't beat any of the latest batman games that came out for ps3\360\pc. I need to go back and replay them.

Personally I'm not looking forward to any of those games I listed, I was just going by hype.  I've had every PlayStation and I've never played a single Uncharted game, nor have I ever played Demon Souls or the like.  I couldn't care less about FPS games like Halo (or Destiny) either.  Most of the games I'm looking forward to next year a cross platform (Arkham Knight probably being the biggest).  Out of that 15 exclusives video I think the biggest ones I'm looking forward to are No Mans Sky and Alienation but they pale in comparison to my desire to play Arkham Knight.

So what you're saying here is that we should buy the console that works best for our preferences? Sure, maybe you think the PS4 is better cause of the resolution differences. But it appears you don't seem to care about 1st party titles or exclusives. So if the only thing you're going to play is multiplatform games, you may as well get a PS4. But if you want to play multiplat and some exclusive titles then the XBox One has that market won right now with a far better (bigger) selection of exclusives. And so far (imo) Destiny plays better on the One than on the PS4.

So what you're saying here is that we should buy the console that works best for our preferences?

I don't believe that's what I said at all in that quote you selected however I DO agree completely with that statement. Furthermore none of my posts in this thread (quoted or not) have been intended as general statements about which console is better in a general sense or what others should buy. Again, I agree with the above quote (even though it has nothing to do with what I said).

Sure, maybe you think the PS4 is better cause of the resolution differences. But it appears you don't seem to care about 1st party titles or exclusives. So if the only thing you're going to play is multiplatform games, you may as well get a PS4.

This is a more accurate representation of what I said.

But if you want to play multiplat and some exclusive titles then the XBox One has that market won right now with a far better (bigger) selection of exclusives.

This is wrong. It's wrong because while I personally may not care about most of them the PS4 DOES in fact have exclusives. Others may, and in fact many do, care about those exclusives and so even if they don't care about resolution differences in multiplat titles the PS4 may still make more sense for them because they like PS4 exclusives more than the Xbox One ones, even if the Xbox One currently has a bigger selection. So back to the first quote above... you should buy what works best for your preference.

And so far (imo) Destiny plays better on the One than on the PS4.

I've not played Destiny on both to compare them so I'm not going to agree or disagree with that. I personally can't stand the game at all not being a FPS gamer in the first place (I only played the beta on a free invite from a friend who preordered it) It's not an exclusive for either console though so I don't even see how that fits into the conversation. If you personally prefer Xbox One exclusives though then by all means you should have an Xbox One, at no point did I say otherwise. If you prefer PS4 exclusives then get a PS4. If the vast majority of games you play are multiplats then you're probably better off with the PS4 as it tends to do a little better overall on them (not to say there aren't exceptions). If you want to control your cable box or use motion controls get the Xbox One. I could go on and on but again my point in this thread was NOT to make some general statement about one console being better for EVERYONE than the other. Get the console that works best for your preference. I simply shared MY personal opinion, if yours differs that's fine.

So what you're saying here is that we should buy the console that works best for our preferences? Sure, maybe you think the PS4 is better cause of the resolution differences. But it appears you don't seem to care about 1st party titles or exclusives. So if the only thing you're going to play is multiplatform games, you may as well get a PS4. But if you want to play multiplat and some exclusive titles then the XBox One has that market won right now with a far better (bigger) selection of exclusives. And so far (imo) Destiny plays better on the One than on the PS4.

According to wikipedia and all gaming websites that list the exclusives of both consoles the PS4 has more exclusives out now and more exclusives set for release in the coming months. Where are you getting this information that the X1 has more exclusives?

How does Destiny play better on X1? Destiny has more content on the PS4 and a bunch of other benefits for PS4 users due to some deal struck up with Bungie and Sony for the game.

According to wikipedia and all gaming websites that list the exclusives of both consoles the PS4 has more exclusives out now and more exclusives set for release in the coming months. Where are you getting this information that the X1 has more exclusives?

How does Destiny play better on X1? Destiny has more content on the PS4 and a bunch of other benefits for PS4 users due to some deal struck up with Bungie and Sony for the game.

This is something I have discovered in the last few weeks, I've been going along with an opinion that the XB1 has or at least will have more exclusives however looking at what is confirmed for coming soon, the PS4 actually has an amazing lineup of games. The Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted are hugely popular exclusive titles, The Order being the one I am most jealous of.

This is something I have discovered in the last few weeks, I've been going along with an opinion that the XB1 has or at least will have more exclusives however looking at what is confirmed for coming soon, the PS4 actually has an amazing lineup of games. The Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted are hugely popular exclusive titles, The Order being the one I am most jealous of.

Hugely popular? They're not even released yet. There is some buzz, but I wouldn't say there's a lot of excitement. The Order looks really lackluster, no one really knows what Bloodborne actually is except being a difficult game, Uncharted looks good though... 

Hugely popular? They're not even released yet. There is some buzz, but I wouldn't say there's a lot of excitement. The Order looks really lackluster, no one really knows what Bloodborne actually is except being a difficult game, Uncharted looks good though...

Citation needed...

Pretty daft thing to say given we've had 3 Souls games, and for Bloodborne specifically a beta test and lots of media coverage.

It's another Souls game.

Hugely popular? They're not even released yet. There is some buzz, but I wouldn't say there's a lot of excitement. The Order looks really lackluster, no one really knows what Bloodborne actually is except being a difficult game, Uncharted looks good though... 

I'll give you the Order, no we don't know what we'll get, hugely anticipated may have been more accurate phrase of words. If I owned a PS4, I'd be looking forward to it though.

However As Audioboxer has pointed out, Bloodborne is effectively a new name for a sequel in what is a massively popular series, as is Uncharted. So no, they could absolutely be flops, but history would say they will be big titles for the PS4. Titles that will attract those who have been fans of the past games but are yet to buy a PS4. These, in my humble opinion, are console selling titles. 

In a join response to both you and Asmodai the X1, as far as I can tell, has more AAA exclusives. I know of very few AAA exclusives on the PS4, one of which is a remaster of an old PS3 game. Sure, MCC is a remaster as well but it also came with a lot of new content and is in no way a flat remaster. Also, as far as I've read online Sony's game lineup in 2014 was lackluster at best.

The reason Microsoft made such headway in the last few months was not just a $50 price cut and MCC (which is riddled with issues in its multiplayer). But because the game selection for the console is more robust. I don't have specifics, I understand that (I can get more detailed later when I'm not at work).

As for the Destiny thing, for me it's almost entirely the controller. Something about Destiny on the PS4 just didn't seem right. I may have to say it's due to the triggers which are almost always a failing point for DS controllers. You seem to be readily confusing gameplay for game content. Not sure how you crossed those wires.

In a join response to both you and Asmodai the X1, as far as I can tell, has more AAA exclusives. I know of very few AAA exclusives on the PS4, one of which is a remaster of an old PS3 game. Sure, MCC is a remaster as well but it also came with a lot of new content and is in no way a flat remaster. Also, as far as I've read online Sony's game lineup in 2014 was lackluster at best.

The reason Microsoft made such headway in the last few months was not just a $50 price cut and MCC (which is riddled with issues in its multiplayer). But because the game selection for the console is more robust. I don't have specifics, I understand that (I can get more detailed later when I'm not at work).

As for the Destiny thing, for me it's almost entirely the controller. Something about Destiny on the PS4 just didn't seem right. I may have to say it's due to the triggers which are almost always a failing point for DS controllers. You seem to be readily confusing gameplay for game content. Not sure how you crossed those wires.

Neither is TLoU a "flat" remaster. Sure the storyline is the same, but so are the Halo storylines. TLoU remaster comes with the SP DLC, MP DLC, photomode, voice actor commentary, etc. Not to mention it launched at a "budget" price, not $60. The fact it's one of the best SP games ever made helps its case  :)

It's in no way in the same category as some of the HD remake cash grabs.

Don't get me wrong, The Order being delayed didn't help Sony's slim exclusive catalogue for 2014, but both it and Bloodborne are out very early in 2015. As well as Grim Fandango, now anyone saying it's not a AAA game can GTFO  :wub:

Indeed. Xbox One clearly had the best line up for the next gen consoles in 2014. Looking at 2015, it will be a repeat based on everything we have seen. But its good to be a multi-console owner so that I can get to enjoy all the games.

Neither is TLoU a "flat" remaster. Sure the storyline is the same, but so are the Halo storylines. TLoU remaster comes with the SP DLC, MP DLC, photomode, voice actor commentary, etc. Not to mention it launched at a "budget" price, not $60. The fact it's one of the best SP games ever made helps its case  :)

Don't get me wrong, The Order being delayed didn't help Sony's slim exclusive catalogue for 2014, but both it and Bloodborne are out very early in 2015. As well as Grim Fandango, now anyone saying it's not a AAA game can GTFO  :wub:

So TLoU is not a cash grab but MCC is? I am trying to understand your logic here. MCC comes with more content than TLoU, that is an objective fact.

So TLoU is not a cash grab but MCC is? I am trying to understand your logic here. MCC comes with more content than TLoU, that is an objective fact.

Where did I say that? MCC is hardly a cash grab based on the amount of content alone.

I was simply defending TLoU, not attacking MCC....

Gameplay is a vague term, so you think the gameplay of the X1 Destiny is better purely because you prefer the X1 controller. That is fair enough.

But the game mechanics, how the game works and runs is the same on all platforms with the only difference being the PS4 version has more content which would logically make it better on the PS4 compared to the rest.

When you say gameplay I don't think most people are thinking your just basing it on personal controller preference.

Both are cash grabs.

I didn't mean to imply that TLoS is a flat remaster. In fact I don't really know what additional content was added. But I don't think many games add as much content as 343 did with the MCC. Skulls in every game, Terminals in every game, Remasters of several multiplayer maps, online multiplayer in Halo CE for the first time on consoles. Adding all the content from the Halo PC and Halo 2 Vista games. Completely new cutscenes for Halo 2 campaign. It's quite a lot of stuff.

I know we have a lot to enjoy in 2015, but I won't hold my breath for any of them on either console. If Halo 2 taught me anything it's to not buy into hype. And 2014 has only firmly reinforced that notion. I'll wait till games are released to really say if they're good or bad.

Gameplay is a vague term, so you think the gameplay of the X1 Destiny is better purely because you prefer the X1 controller. That is fair enough.

But the game mechanics, how the game works and runs is the same on all platforms with the only difference being the PS4 version has more content which would logically make it better on the PS4 compared to the rest.

When you say gameplay I don't think most people are thinking your just basing it on personal controller preference.

Both are cash grabs.

That's not logical at all, that's subjective. More content may very well not be worth it to someone who prefers to enjoy playing the game over having a few extra tidbits. The truth is, and I've seen this pretty much across the board, Dualshock controllers have always had poor triggers and have thus been disliked for shooter games. People obviously deal with them but the popular PC controllers are not Dualshock ones, but 360-style ones (as that would be the more objective market).

I know you were making that Grim Fandango comment as a sort of joke, but as much as I can't wait for that game, let's not delude ourselves into think that is a big release for the console. I would absolutely love to see a huge sales victory for the title, but its an old school adventure game. Even TellTale games aren't runaway successes sales wise and those are using currently popular properties.

We represent a smaller subset of gamers that still enjoy this genre. I have to admit though, the last year has seen a surprising resergence in adventure games (Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, King's Quest, Space Quest, etc), so I'm very happy.

Both are cash grabs.

Most games are cash grabs.

The better question is does that matter if the content is what you want?

That's not logical at all, that's subjective. More content may very well not be worth it to someone who prefers to enjoy playing the game over having a few extra tidbits. The truth is, and I've seen this pretty much across the board, Dualshock controllers have always had poor triggers and have thus been disliked for shooter games. People obviously deal with them but the popular PC controllers are not Dualshock ones, but 360-style ones (as that would be the more objective market).

It's not subjective that one has more content then the other. It IS subjective which controller is more comfortable. Also while it's true Dualshock controllers have traditionally had poor triggers it is largely agreed that this has FINALLY been corrected with the DualShock 4. (it's impossible to get everyone to agree because it IS subjective)

When someone asks is game X better on console A or console B I seriously doubt they want the comparison to be based "almost entirely" on your personal opinion of the ergonomics of the consoles controller. It IS logical to assume they would want a comparison based on objective metrics like content, framerate, resolution, etc. and not subjective criteria like which controller you personally prefer.