ESXi 5.5 - My Experience (and some questions)

ok i got you, will have another look over the next few days

I think i may have an old Nic in a computer in the attic, will check that later too

I've sent 3 of those TP-Link cards back as they have massive packet loss issues when they get warm. Their UK support (TP-Link) is an "office" portacab within a warehouse in some industrial estate.

Buy the Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E 1x as budman originally suggested if you want any reliability under a virtual environment.

I've sent 3 of those TP-Link cards back as they have massive packet loss issues when they get warm. Their UK support (TP-Link) is an "office" portacab within a warehouse in some industrial estate.

Buy the Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E 1x as budman originally suggested if you want any reliability under a virtual environment.

that's the problem with those cheap NICs; they lack the good passive heatsink because the OEM jams too much into a very tiny piece of silicon; also the fact that the microserver is pretty tight doesn't help.

Guys on auto start of your VM what time limit do you put on there

0 for my pfSense VM, usually 30 second increments thereafter between tiers.
  • Like 2

As to different networks - first one to break off would be your wifi. But sure your dmz can be only vms, that is how i have it setup as well.

I never understand the cost difference to be honest, if that card sells for $30 USD, then in the UK it should be like 20 quid.

It's the law of supply and demand: high demand in Europe, prices go up. For example i'm considering buying a HP 4 port NIC, because brand new in Amazon costs 4x less then in my country; even with taxes and costumes it still will be cheaper. It's just disgusting, TBH.

also if you have an DC be sure that one is one of the first if not the first one to boot.

I don't think it has anything to do with supply and demand to be honest..  It getting what price they can get..

I don't think it has anything to do with supply and demand to be honest..  It getting what price they can get..

It is: most of the stuff i get is from US companies and they export into other countries, there for the prices will rise (distribution is always more expensive the more far from the HQ it is); yet i can buy stuff directly from US companies and is much, much cheaper then to buy locally or even from EU. Again, the problem is distribution chain that increases prices into hell; I've dealt with some hardware contracts from some top companies (IBM, Toshiba, etc.) and sometimes it was more cheaper to buy directly from the factory in Japan (Toshiba) in volumes or to buy from another country (IBM) then to buy locally, even with costumes and taxes. Heck, last year i bought a switch from Spain because the same switch costed 3x more in my country (Portugal) and why? Because there was a huge demand for that switch from many companies, turned to be very popular...It's nuts.

Having said that, i've had huge discounts when companies lower their profit margin when they want to grab the client, many times as much as 3x or even 4x less.

People are kind of locked into what they can buy locally and companies ripoff them because there is a huge demand; when same companies are faced with heavy competition, prices go down. That's why i like to shop internationally, i can get heavy discounts; the sad part of this is the fact that that doesn't help our local economy :/

Well getting on fine so far, i managed to get plex working fine and it now takes over for my old install

I also started playing about with Arch again and got that all up and working, so far so good

post-229387-0-03858400-1420902807.png

not sure being honest lol

when i ssh into the vm and do df -h i get this

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        40G  1.2G   37G   4% /

not sure whats going on lol

question for you all

should i create a new datastore for each vm?

I cant work out why my arch VM says its using all the space

No you would not create a datastore for each PM..  Did you thick, thin provision the disk?  When you setup the vm.. What did you set for the disk?

post-14624-0-57925000-1420978727.png

thick provisioning will do that - reserve the space on the disk that you configured as the size for the virtual drive, that is.

Two questions to ask yourself -

1) Do you really need thick provisioning

2) Do you really need a disk that big

You can add more virtual disks to the VM later.

so if i tell it to use 40gb max for example but use thin provrovision it wont reserve that space?

You know i had arch working last night now the networking is broken again lol

^ basically yes, it will consume the disk as and when it is needed.

I personally thick provision everything, but I keep the system disks on all of my VMs as small as I can get them (10GB or so on Linux) and then connect additional space from the NAS VM via iSCSI.

Thanks for that :)

i will play about and see what i can do and them prob reboot it and start again

Depends what dependencies your VMs require, if they don't require any, 30 seconds between each one is fine. 

Just an FYI - typically in a production environment, your data store is either on a NAS or a SAN, connected to the vSphere farm via iSCSI or Fibre to the hosts. 

This also allows you to use some of the cool technologies in VMware like vMotion. 

(I make my bread and butter from VMware and Microsoft products)