Dying Light

Sounds positive so far, I may have to look at this once the price drops. Would like it if there was a demo :p

There's many good games by smaller studio without season pass and for a fair price (i.e. not 70$ CDN + taxes). Honestly i'm looking at my Steam library and i'm almost not buying games by big studio anymore unless they are GOTY or complete version at a reduced price.

Nothing wrong with season passes. They are optional. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy them.

Played for about 90-120 minutes last night. I am liking it so far. A lot actually. Playing on the PS4 and it seems to be holding its end of the bargain on the technical side of things so far.  Only saw some frate rate drops once, and it was at night and I also think it might be because I bugged out and started running like a madman and did not realize I was stuck in some weird little crevice between a house and an alleyway. So I think it might have been something were I made it happen as I was doing something 99% of other players would never do.  :rofl:

I never fully got into Dead Island as the controls were very clunky (I did play Dead Island on the PC though with a KB&M, not sure if that matters as clunky should be clunky), but they seemed to have fixed and/or addressed most of the issues I had with the controls no doubt.

I am also just a sucker for any "parkour" related games at the end of the day, and I think from what I have seen so far they have done a pretty damn good job of creating a FPS parkour system. Right before I called it a night I had unlocked the ability to run up and past zombies, and it just felt really natural and smooth. I would say most people would agree that Mirrors Edge set the standard for what a parkour based FPS could be. And so far they seem to have done a damn good job of taking that premise and applying it to an open world environment, which is no easy task.

I have zero regrets with my purchase and unless something goes horribly wrong I actually think I am going to wind up very much enjoying the game itself. I can say the story seems a bit hokey, but I also have shared on these forums many a time I am a person that has never looked towards video games for a good story. With that said, I thought it was awesome that one of the NPC's tells jokes to another every time you walk past them and hear their conversation. That was a nice little touch. 

Played for about 90-120 minutes last night. I am liking it so far. A lot actually. Playing on the PS4 and it seems to be holding its end of the bargain on the technical side of things so far.  Only saw some frate rate drops once, and it was at night and I also think it might be because I bugged out and started running like a madman and did not realize I was stuck in some weird little crevice between a house and an alleyway. So I think it might have been something were I made it happen as I was doing something 99% of other players would never do.  :rofl:

I never fully got into Dead Island as the controls were very clunky (I did play Dead Island on the PC though with a KB&M, not sure if that matters as clunky should be clunky), but they seemed to have fixed and/or addressed most of the issues I had with the controls no doubt.

I am also just a sucker for any "parkour" related games at the end of the day, and I think from what I have seen so far they have done a pretty damn good job of creating a FPS parkour system. Right before I called it a night I had unlocked the ability to run up and past zombies, and it just felt really natural and smooth. I would say most people would agree that Mirrors Edge set the standard for what a parkour based FPS could be. And so far they seem to have done a damn good job of taking that premise and applying it to an open world environment, which is no easy task.

I have zero regrets with my purchase and unless something goes horribly wrong I actually think I am going to wind up very much enjoying the game itself. I can say the story seems a bit hokey, but I also have shared on these forums many a time I am a person that has never looked towards video games for a good story. With that said, I thought it was awesome that one of the NPC's tells jokes to another every time you walk past them and hear their conversation. That was a nice little touch. 

I'm beginning to think I should have bought the PS4 version for a consistent experience. However, in the UK the physical version has been delayed a month and I don't fancy paying

My system should be able to handle 60fps without issue... it drops between 24fps and 60fps... all over the place.

Got the Nvidia optimisations disabled - even tried knocking it from 1920x1080 to something like 1050ish... nothing.

My system should be able to handle 60fps without issue... it drops between 24fps and 60fps... all over the place.

Got the Nvidia optimisations disabled - even tried knocking it from 1920x1080 to something like 1050ish... nothing.

drop down the view distance, that's pretty much the only setting that has any major effect on minimum fps, this game is almost entirely cpu limited.

Seems, yet again, that SCEE have screwed up. Dying Light is no longer available to purchase on the store.

They really are an embarrassment. 

I'm beginning to think I should have bought the PS4 version for a consistent experience. However, in the UK the physical version has been delayed a month and I don't fancy paying

• Like 2

I just started playing. So far so good.    However, it is funny to me, that my METAL PIPE, is completely worn out after hitting 3 zombies.   It is a god damn metal pipe, not a stick, it should not just disintegrate! LOL

I cringe at the thought of paying

how do you see FPS in the game? 

i want to check mine. i never bothered before, but i am curious now, since it seems ok, but glitchy at parts, and i want to know why.

how do you see FPS in the game? 

i want to check mine. i never bothered before, but i am curious now, since it seems ok, but glitchy at parts, and i want to know why.

New Steam has an FPS counter - to enable it...

For now, the new feature is available only if you choose to participate in the Steam Client Beta, which you can do by simply going to Settings, then Account, and choosing the Steam Beta Update. One you downloaded the latest update, you can enable the FPS counter by going to Settings, then In-Game, and checking the box for "Show in-game frames/sec (FPS)." Once you do that, the next time you'll launch a game you'll notice a counter in the top left corner of your screen telling you how many frames per second your PC is pushing at any moment.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's my rig or the game, but the game just randomly goes to a black screen after which if I alt-tab or hit the win key to minimize the game I can see a windows error box (which I can't click to see what it says) and then the game crashes (and I had to do a hard restart a couple times in fact). The game runs smooth as silk maxed out for me, so I'm not sure what it could be other than a memory leak issue, or bugs in general or even an AMD driver issue.

Still, I find the first person parkour kind of weird and very disorienting sometimes. Plus the whole "stare at the ledge then hold a button and then jump" to jump across things I don't like much. Other than those things, the game seems good so far lol Haven't tried Be a Zombie mode or any coop (mostly due to the crashes obviously).

• Like 1

Not sure if it's my rig or the game, but the game just randomly goes to a black screen after which if I alt-tab or hit the win key to minimize the game I can see a windows error box (which I can't click to see what it says) and then the game crashes (and I had to do a hard restart a couple times in fact). The game runs smooth as silk maxed out for me, so I'm not sure what it could be other than a memory leak issue, or bugs in general or even an AMD driver issue.

Still, I find the first person parkour kind of weird and very disorienting sometimes. Plus the whole "stare at the ledge then hold a button and then jump" to jump across things I don't like much. Other than those things, the game seems good so far lol Haven't tried Be a Zombie mode or any coop (mostly due to the crashes obviously).

Happy Birthday :)

In all honesty, I was so let down by Dead Island I can't help but look at this in the same light. Looks impressive but in practice will be pretty boring.

Hopefully they will do a demo closer to release and I can actually play it.

I actually finished DI.  Thought it was pretty fun.

Thank you sir! Still a few more hours until Depression Day starts for me though :D

My timezone must be triggering the Neowin birthday banner 'early' :p

Yeah, apparently it's my birthday already according to my settings on the forums as well. Depression Day 2015 starts early woohoo!

ok, come on! depression day :rolleyes:

how old you are to be saying this???

EDIT:  39 (from your profile)   -   yeah, the age where you are too young too be thinking of inevitable, but too old to like that you are getting older.... LOL  

i am getting close to it myself....  hopefully my light will not die too early. ;)   (keeping it on topic)

ps.  after teh depression days, the happiness days starts again, once you get old enough to be super happy to live another year

I got turned on to Dying Light. it is a First person zombie action thriller that mixes assassins creed with zombie shooters in first person mode as  Imentioned before. $59.99 on steam but has been worth it.

*spoiler You have to finish the prologue to unlock COOP mode!! I know because I just finished that part!

here is a 12 minute in game video

Added: they said 2014 however my wife verified on steam that it was just released earlier this week. She loves zombie games. my steam username should anyone want to link up and coop with me, I'm known as "Demented"

http://youtu.be/J2TSCZqcjR0