Have you played it?

I've read a lot of gamer reviews that say there is plenty of gameplay and the story is decent enough. Yet again it seems the gaming media are hating on something just for the fun of it. I'm not saying that the game is perfect and deserved 9's and 10's but what do the gaming press expect to happen when new IP's are introduced to a torrent of abuse? Developers fold, or just jack in their ideas resorting back to COD type formulas. 

Eurogamer for example wrote "it has next gen graphics but last gen gameplay" - I mean, what does that even mean??? Define 'last gen gameplay', then define 'next gen gameplay'.

The media are, in my opinion, the reason why the gaming industry is so stale.

The fact that The Order is getting scores around 4-6 with some outliers in both directions, and games like Halo MCC scored 8s and 9s, despite it STILL not working months after launch, is baffling. There is zero obejctivity or consistency in the games media.

Then you have the unprofessional asshats from Kotaku making fun of the Order on Twitter, and IGN posting lame image memes doing the same thing and it just paints a pathetic picture of the entire community.

I get my "reviews" from here and GAF. Even GAF's discussion quality has gone down as of late. Peeking into any Order thread is proof enough of that. But they are still way more fair and real than the paid reviewers.

I only have a few things to say here, nothing big but first up, short AAA games need to die! Sorry but at $60 for a new game to only give me 6-8hrs of game play is just wrong. Second, it does look good but the levels are limited from what I've seen, a corridor shooter if you will, I don't have a big issue with this per se but when you get terrible pacing in the mix, a cut scene every few minutes, then it falls apart.

As far as rest and all that I don't care overall because it looks good but why the bars guys? I feel the whole cinematic look idea is being used to cover up for shortcomings. We can't get it looking this good at 1080p so instead of cutting it down too much let's slap black bars top and bottom. It's fine in movies but i'd like to use my whole screen for my games personally.

• Like 2

I only have a few things to say here, nothing big but first up, short AAA games need to die! Sorry but at $60 for a new game to only give me 6-8hrs of game play is just wrong. Second, it does look good but the levels are limited from what I've seen, a corridor shooter if you will, I don't have a big issue with this per se but when you get terrible pacing in the mix, a cut scene every few minutes, then it falls apart.

As far as rest and all that I don't care overall because it looks good but why the bars guys? I feel the whole cinematic look idea is being used to cover up for shortcomings. We can't get it looking this good at 1080p so instead of cutting it down too much let's slap black bars top and bottom. It's fine in movies but i'd like to use my whole screen for my games personally.

Black bars are for under powered consoles. This new gen of consoles needs ways around their crappy hardware.

It doesn't run at 800p. 800p is obviously less than 900p, and 900p is 1600x900 = 1440000 pixels. The Order is 1920x800 = 1536000 pixels.

None of the picture is stretched in any way like 900p games.

Really not hard to grasp http://tay.kotaku.com/why-the-order-1886-is-1080p-and-not-800p-1518902908

Ontopic gutted the games story can't hold it up. This is definitely a cheap pickup for a tech demo/atmosphere. Good luck with the sequel if it gets one RAD, a lot needs to change (besides the graphics).

Games like TO:1866, TitanFall, and Ryse have to be given proper sequels... We may rag on them... But I believe a good foundation has been established in each of these games...

As long as they don't go the route of Assassin's Creed... These games can become special, in a future iteration.

The fact that The Order is getting scores around 4-6 with some outliers in both directions, and games like Halo MCC scored 8s and 9s, despite it STILL not working months after launch, is baffling. There is zero obejctivity or consistency in the games media.

Then you have the unprofessional asshats from Kotaku making fun of the Order on Twitter, and IGN posting lame image memes doing the same thing and it just paints a pathetic picture of the entire community.

I get my "reviews" from here and GAF. Even GAF's discussion quality has gone down as of late. Peeking into any Order thread is proof enough of that. But they are still way more fair and real than the paid reviewers.

Could not agree more. The whole reviewing websites need to just f'off and die. They do nothing but poke fun at new games and ideas (which are usually on the Sony platforms as they tend to be the only ones who try and innovate) yet praise big franchise titles, such as COD and Halo, even when they don't work as you mention.

It's a joke of an industry and to be honest new IP's need to be supported - yes, the game in question could have been better but the media could have been far less cruel in how they have gone about this. I really hope that despite all the crap it's got it sells well and funds a sequel that takes on board the issues raised.

That's the only way games will ever truly change. Let the old franchises die and bring in new ones. What I think The Order should have done is sell it at

Prior to this they made PSP games, such as GoW. It's their first console outing (GoW on PS3 was a port of PSP games), so I doubt it's anything to do with inefficiency and a lot to do with learning. Even with talent they've brought in from other studios they're still fairly new to the scene. This is their first IP built from the ground up, everything else has been ports or someone else's original work/IP. Definitely not on the scale of EA/Activision or any other large dev/pub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_at_Dawn

Chains of Olympus = INSTANT CLASSIC!!!!!  when i had the PSP, I beat that game like 3x...

Difference... Halo MCC has a TON of gameplay.. I agree a very important aspect of the game is broken.. Single player, lengthy campaign in each of the Halo games work flawlessly..

$60 4 lengthy single player games.. Broken MP (very important not downplaying it)... replay value....

1866 can be beating in a 1 1/2 days... Where do you go from there...

Thus there should be a difference in review scores..  Even if Halo: MCC didn't get high scores... It should still be scored higher than 1866

• Like 2

Wow.

From seeing your contributions in this topic I'm wondering what you're actually sticking around for?

The game looks graphically stunning, nowhere is really disputing that so I can only assume "wow" is your best effort to put down me or anyone else who only thinks what the masses are saying.

Stare at an Apple and hope it turns into a Lemon for as long as you want, but it won't. Pickup one or two rough textures in The Order and it won't convert the popular opinion that the game is gorgeous to look at.

I'm going to assume you're happy to accept critic opinion on gameplay or story, so why not graphics as well?

• Like 3

Difference... Halo MCC has a TON of gameplay.. I agree a very important aspect of the game is broken.. Single player, lengthy campaign in each of the Halo games work flawlessly..

$60 4 lengthy single player games.. Broken MP (very important not downplaying it)... replay value....

Thus there should be a difference in review scores..  Even if Halo: MCC didn't get high scores... It should still be scored higher than 1866

True, the MCC has more content, but the campaign saves didn't work 100% when the game launched, and it's essentially a remake of last-gen games. That coupled with the fact that the mutliplayer didn't and still doesn't work, and you have a half-broken rehash of a game(s). But who cares! 9/10 across the board, because...Halo.

I would argue a technically sound game that works as advertised should score higher than a broken game, regardless of content. A short, well polished game is much more worth the money than a game overflowing with content but doesn't work; in my opinion. If you don't like the subject matter or the gameplay, that's one thing. If the gameplay is fundamentally unbalanced, broken, or simply doesn't work, that is totally different. But I guess it all boils down to the fact that reviews aren't objective. (and they should be)

MP in MCC is working flawlessly for me, as well as the SP.

If this game doesn't sell bye bye Ready At Down, 5 years in dev, high budget, and heavily pushed by Sony.

(Cool, devs located in the same city where i live, one of the most expansive cities to live in California)

MP in MCC is working flawlessly for me, as well as the SP.

MP works for me as well... I meant to use "was broken for awhile" vs "is broken"...

But I only wanted to get a point across...

So you're telling me the Xbox one is full of black bar games?

i think Kvally was being sarcastic...

BtfrVHa.jpg

I don't quite get this MJ? I agree with your argument that The Order could have done with pricing a bit lower than RRP but any time a PC argument is brought into console discussion it is usually unfair. A graphics card that can run 4K at 60FPS will cost you near enough the cost of a PS4 (

I don't quite get this MJ? I agree with your argument that The Order could have done with pricing a bit lower than RRP but any time a PC argument is brought into console discussion it is usually unfair. A graphics card that can run 4K at 60FPS will cost you near enough the cost of a PS4 (

You're reading too much into it; it's just a joke I saw on r/pcmasterrace.

The world of a console peasant is a tough one!

• Like 2

I mostly agree with this. I'd say 6-8hrs of game play on a $60 game MIGHT be ok if it had great multiplayer and/or HUGE replay values (lots of branching in that time and a bunch of different endings so each play through may be 6-8 hours but you'd be tempted to play it again and again to see what resulted from different choice combinations). Unfortunately The Order has neither of those things.

I suspect the bars are because the GPU can't handle those graphics at full 1080p and a rock solid 30fps. The game is 1920x800 so it's the full width with no upscaling required. That means it's total pixel count (excluding the black bars) is 1,536k. That's still more than the 1,440k total pixel count that 900p games like Battlefield 4 ship with and avoids the need to use an upscaler that introduces artifacts in the image. With that in mind I'd actually prefer the 1920x800 with black bars over an upscaled 900p image but yeah, getting full 1080p would be better. Also a lot of Blu-Ray movies are released with those same black bars because they did match the movie aspect ratio so there is SOMETHING to the whole "cinematic" thing. I don't buy for one second they did it ONLY for cinematic effect though, they'd have made it 1080p if they could but they chose the "cinematic" 1920x800 over unscaled 900p since they couldn't hit 1080p.

Really though if the game is mostly cut scenes and QTEs they probably could have done a great deal of it prerendered, then heck the PS3 could do 1080p prerendered, rofl.

Really though if the game is mostly cut scenes and QTEs they probably could have done a great deal of it prerendered, then heck the PS3 could do 1080p prerendered, rofl.

yeah, i think this is the main issue.   they already took away part of your screen, then we find out they took away most of the gameplay too.

if there was better bosses, more werewolves,  in fact, more gameplay moments (vs just the cutscenes)   -  people would not bother to complain about graphics.

but now, everyone is disappointment in many other aspects,  they are also whining about the black bars.   if the gameplay way more gameplay and less interactive cutscene, everyone would praise the game and not give a damn about the black bars.

lets hope for a sequel, now that they have got the engine and artwork down, maybe they focus more extending gameplay and adding more to it.

@Ironman

There is more to graphics than resolution and framerate. The Order is using some of the best lighting models, material simulation, and AA in any game to date. That kind of stuff has a huge impact on visual quality. I agree with you about the framerate discussion, thouh.

But the game engine only has to render 1920x800 pixels for each frame. So isn't that, by definition, 800p? If the game was rendering 1920x1080 every frame, then you could call it 1080p, but the Order is NOT doing that.

"..Resolution is measured in pixel density, and The Order may have a display ratio of 1920x800, but keeps the same pixel density as a 1920x1080 resolution..."

e.g.,

Ryse - Runs 1600 x 900 (1.78:1 ie, your typical 16:9) 1,440,000 pixels

The Order - Runs 1920 x 800 (2.40:1 or cinematic widescreen)  1,536,000 pixels