Meet the browser: Vivaldi Next

Wow, I have been so waiting for this!

I think that (under Settings-->Appearance) the "Dark" Interface Colour goes so well with Neowin's Darkside theme, it's like they made it especially for us.

No problems here generally, but does anyone know how I can make a Bookmark Toolbar bookmark open up in the SAME window I was just looking at?

Thanks! (And thanks to the Vivaldi team for an awesome browser!)

14 hours ago, James7 said:

[snip]

No problems here generally, but does anyone know how I can make a Bookmark Toolbar bookmark open up in the SAME window I was just looking at?

Thanks! (And thanks to the Vivaldi team for an awesome browser!)

settings/bookmarks/open bookmarks in new tab

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ice_Blue said:

settings/bookmarks/open bookmarks in new tab

I guess I was fixated on the Tabs tab.

Thanks for this! Just what I wanted.

I actually have quite enjoyed this browser so far. Going to use it a lot over the next few days and see if it becomes my new default :)

• 2 weeks later...

Snapshot 1.1.453.6 - Further tab closing options, improved dark UI and more import options

Highlights are further tab closing activation options, more work on our Dark UI, more import options and a fix for Vivaldi stealing focus under Windows. For the full list of improvements, see the changelog below.

We are rapidly closing in on a final 1.1 release now, so let us know if you see any regressions in behaviour since the 1.0 final.

Tab Closing Options

Goodbye to old Operating Systems

With Vivaldi version 1.1 we will drop support for Windows XP, Vista and versions of MacOSX below 10.9. Recently, the Chromium project dropped support for these older OSes (Operating Systems), since they are no longer actively maintaned by Microsoft and Apple. As Vivaldi is a small team at present, so we cannot afford to support these OSes seperately.

If you are able to, upgrading your OS is the best course of action to ensure secure browsing and access to the latest Vivaldi features and fixes. If not, Vivaldi 1.0 will continue to function, though it will not receive further security updates.

We have also disabled NPAPI plugins for Vivaldi 1.1, now that the support present in Chromium has become too unreliable. PPAPI plugins and new HTML5 technologies should serve as suitable replacements going forward.

• [Regression] [Windows] Vivaldi steals focus (VB-14708)
  • [Linux][Mac] Add missing setting to switch the Vivaldi UI language (as on Windows) (VB-15885)
  • Added setting to disable the URL Dropdown
  • Add "Right of current tab" in tab settings for a Close tab (VB-12674)
  • Arrow symbol in bookmarks bar does not work properly (VB-4479)
  • Better transition for Ctrl+Enter (www.<input>.com) in URL field
  • Bookmarks bar list under chevron icon displays wrong items (VB-15831)
  • Bookmarks bar is mssing New Folder context menu option (VB-15501)
  • Browser closes when using the Pocket extension (VB-14498)
  • Can not move a bookmark item to the end of list on the bookmark toolbar (VB-15975)
  • Close Other Tab Doesn't deal with stacks (VB-15916)
  • Close other tabs when ALT-clicking tab close button: now possible to assign keyboard shortcut and accessible in Quick Commands (VB-15157)
  • Cutting from start in URL field clears URL field (VB-15350)
  • Dark scrollbars in panels and bookmarks when Dark UI is set (VB-15901)
  • Dropping a bookmark bar item on the bookmark bar creates a new item (VB-15907)
  • Faster Tab Stack Creation
  • Forward and back mouse buttons operate on wrong window (VB-14952)
  • Going to the wrong site on autocomplete (VB-15301)
  • Group similar tabs to stack can group very different sites (VB-10110)
  • Hibernate tab stack (VB-13209)
  • Hide tooltip when searchfield or URL field gets focused or updates
  • Improve automatic underscoring in menus (VB-15349)
  • JavaScript "window.open" causes 2 HTTP requests: Lastpass showed a blank page when opening Secure Note (VB-13931)
  • Menu key activates wrong context menu for Spatial Navigation highlighted links on windows (VB-9169)
  • Move to New Window option should not be in tabs in Private windows (VB-15179)
  • Not Possible to Hibernate/Close Tab Selection (VB-15037)
  • Page can override Spatial Navigation indicator (e.g. cnn.com) (VB-15735)
  • Per tab zoom does not activate immediately but only after browser restart (VB-13959)
  • Radio button in toggle image menu squeezed (VB-15013)
  • Renaming items on the bookmark tool bar is confusing with Title sorting enabled (VB-15711)
  • Reset fast forward earlier on navigation and load when idle
  • Saving changes to bookmark using enter/return (VB-15740)
  • Some URLs are searched instead of followed (VB-14729)
  • Speed dial not imported from Opera 12 (VB-15036)
  • Speed dial sorting follows bookmarks manager sorting (VB-14418)
  • Tabs cloned from stack appears to the right of the stack (VB-11055)
  • Tab Tiling is Cleared when Stacked (VB-15277)
  • Use input case when autocomplete on URL
  • Vivaldi Missing Title Case in Translation (VB-15342)
  • Upgraded to Chromium 50.0.2661.75: With this we drop support for Windows XP, Vista and versions of MacOSX below 10.9. In addition we have disabled NPAPI plugins

21 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Can it import from other browsers yet?

It's been able to do that from the beginning afaik... Vivaldi Menu | File | Import Bookmarks and Settings

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ViperAFK said:

It's been able to do that from the beginning afaik... Vivaldi Menu | File | Import Bookmarks and Settings

Haha. Oops missed that. Thanks. 

Snapshot 1.1.453.30 - More fixes as we close in on the 1.1 stable update

fix the issue with Ctrl clicking on Speed Dials, make fast forward more reliable and fix an issue with URL autocomplete.

We have a few more fixes already in the pipeline. The next release will likely be a 1.1 release candidate.

Known issues

We have received a few reports about the following. Fixes are already being tested internally and should arrive in the next snapshot.

• [Regression] POST to new window results in second GET request to same URL (VB-16295)
  • [Linux] HTML5 proprietary media does not work in Vivaldi 1.1 under Ubuntu with chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra version 49.0.2623.X installed (VB-16300)

Changelog

• [Regression] Ctrl or Shift Click on Speed Dial entry opens blank tab (VB-16199)
  • [Regression] Fast forward button is not activated sometimes (VB-15979)
  • [Regression] Title completion in bookmarks is not working (VB-16202)
  • [Regression] Items for Mail and Contact panels show up View menu on all builds (VB-16194)
  • [Regression] Installer mentions Chrome in an error message (VB-14837)
  • Translation updates

Is there a bug report repository I can search? If so, I wanna do some searching before I consider reporting the easily reproducible bookmark ordering issue I've experienced.

12 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Is there a bug report repository I can search? If so, I wanna do some searching before I consider reporting the easily reproducible bookmark ordering issue I've experienced.

Try this - https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all

Snapshot 1.1.453.36 - Vivaldi 1.1RC1

Changelog

• [Regression] POST to new window results in second GET request to same URL (VB-16295)
  • [Regression] Characters lost in URL field (VB-16268)
  • [Regression] Cannot create a new bookmarks folder (VB-16165)
  • [Regression] Use of Find In Page makes tabs unresponsive (VB-16332)
  • [Linux] HTML5 proprietary media does not work in Vivaldi 1.1 under Ubuntu with chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra 49.0.2623.X (VB-16300)
  • [Linux] Possible crash under 32bit (VB-16270)
  • Disable all but Ctrl+t,n,w keyboard shortcuts when plugins are focussed: Workaround for clashes e.g. backspace in Flash or PDF forms. A few more may be enabled before the 1.1 final (VB-15312)

Snapshot 1.1.453.43 - Vivaldi 1.1RC2

Changelog

- [Regression] Keyboard shortcuts don't work in internal pages, svg, error page and PDFs (VB-16438)
- Fix for error page graphics
- Updated to Chromium 50.0.2661.89

Blogpost - https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/108-snapshot-1-1-453-43-vivaldi-1-1-rc2

Not mentioned on the blog yet, but when you go to vivaldi.com to download the browser you get version 1.1 stable (build # 1.1.453.47).

No time to rest. Vivaldi 1.1 is here with enhanced tab handling, better hibernation and more!

launching Vivaldi 1.1. This is a result of the feedback we've received over the last 3 weeks, to make Vivaldi even better. Read on to find out more about some of the interesting changes.

Download Vivaldi 1.1

We know tab handling is important for many of you, so we now have even more options. You can select opening behavior on cloned and stacked tabs. You can close all other tabs by holding Alt and clicking on the tab close button or via Quick Commands.

Close all other tabs

You can further adjust tab activation options upon closing a tab. For instance, you can choose whether to automatically activate the tab to the right or left.

Tab activation on closing options

We also made tab hibernation even better. You can now choose to hibernate an entire Tab Stack. You can also select to hibernate tabs by Ctrl or Shift clicking on the tab.

Speed Dials are imported from Opera 12. Hopefully, this will convince some hold-outs to try Vivaldi ;)

We also updated to Chromium 50, which brings in the latest standards support. This means we no longer run on Windows XP, Vista and Mac OSX below 10.9 nor use older (less secure) plugin formats.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...