Dopamine

22 hours ago, dakn said:

Or even simpler and not having to increase the spacing could be:

dopamine_selection2.jpg

Thanks for your designs. The first one looks a bit like what I had previously (before changing it to what it is now). I can't find an image right now. Yours look a bit more how Groove Music does album selections. I tried to be a bit different :). I like both (mine and yours). For now I'll probably keep it as it is. Unless nobody likes it :) 

Yeah it is similar to Groove Music, although it's is only on mouse rollover and very subtle. There is not actually a way to select an album on Groove without going to the single album view - which sucks a bit!

It's certainly not a big deal but I was just trying a way to show a selected item without obscuring the album cover - which is why I'm glad you allowed the titles to go under the artwork.

I just realised that I guess you went for your option because when you have the text on the artwork the selection box would be relatively hard to notice without increasing the spacing and having a fatter frame.

11 hours ago, Tejoenardo said:

Progress?

Nothing relevant. I've added a Cache to speed up list refreshing, then I realized the service layer is getting messy. So I'm trying to figure out a way to clean it up.

WP_20160402_18_46_23_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

don't forget device polling service =)

That's gonna be part of the PlaybackService :rofl:

Hi all. There haven't been many updates lately. Daytime job has been exhausting the last couple of weeks and I was either too tired to code or had to finish other work in the evening. I'm still finding some time here an there though.

So short status update: I'm working on a second level cache for database fetching, which will speed up loading of items in the lists. That should be ready in a day or 2. Next I'd like to speed up generation of album thumbnails as browsing through albums is rather choppy when a lot of albums are displayed. This one might be a bit harder. If it will take too much time, I'll release build before adding this change, otherwise after it.

I didn't forget about audio device polling. I first want to improve the user experience by tweaking the UI a bit. After that, audio engine  changes are coming.

4 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi all. There haven't been many updates lately. Daytime job has been exhausting the last couple of weeks and I was either too tired to code or had to finish other work in the evening. I'm still finding some time here an there though.

So short status update: I'm working on a second level cache for database fetching, which will speed up loading of items in the lists. That should be ready in a day or 2. Next I'd like to speed up generation of album thumbnails as browsing through albums is rather choppy when a lot of albums are displayed. This one might be a bit harder. If it will take too much time, I'll release build before adding this change, otherwise after it.

I didn't forget about audio device polling. I first want to improve the user experience by tweaking the UI a bit. After that, audio engine  changes are coming.

Awesome! Hope you get some rest too =)

I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I was wondering if there could be a mechanic to run the window in the Sys Tray instead of Task Bar. I have like a dozen windows open and need the real espace. 

8 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I was wondering if there could be a mechanic to run the window in the Sys Tray instead of Task Bar. I have like a dozen windows open and need the real espace. 

Yes Minimize to tray in options and then you will see all the controls from the tray icon... =)  You can also set "Close to tray"

Hm, I was looking for something that put the active player in the sys tray with the player still running, not minimized. 

Just now, Zagadka said:

Hm, I was looking for something that put the active player in the sys tray with the player still running, not minimized. 

Yes it works that way also...

Capture.PNG

15 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

Option request: Remove icon from taskbar.

Thank you!

I'll create a feature request. But no promises there, as it will need ugly workarounds which will take time to get right. Removing the icon from the taskbar BEFORE the window is minimized, causes the window to remain visible in the lower left corner of the screen as soon as it is minimized. A bit like what happened when you minimized a window in WIndows 3.11.

untitled.png

57 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I'll create a feature request. But no promises there, as it will need ugly workarounds which will take time to get right. Removing the icon from the taskbar BEFORE the window is minimized, causes the window to remain visible in the lower left corner of the screen as soon as it is minimized. A bit like what happened when you minimized a window in WIndows 3.11.

untitled.png

WOW I remember those days, can't believe that code is still in Windows...lol

does it show this behavior if you are minimizing to tray?

1 hour ago, Ravensky said:

WOW I remember those days, can't believe that code is still in Windows...lol

does it show this behavior if you are minimizing to tray?

Yes it is still there :) 

It doesn't happen when minimizing to tray when the icon is shown on the taskbar.

Actually, to explain in more detail, there is no such thing as minimizing to tray. It's a trick accomplished by 3 actions:

1. Add an icon to the tray

2. Minimize

3. Hide the taskbar icon

Because the taskbar icon is hidden after the minimize action, the problem doesn't occur. The problem occurs in this case:

2. Hide the taskbar icon

3. Minimize --> titlebar of the window remains visible at the bottom left corner of the screen. Because the application icon is not shown on the taskbar, the app thinks there is no taskbar to minimize to, and minimizes to the bottom left of the screen (this is Windows 3.1 behaviour).

A workaround I'm thinking of:

1. catch the minimize event before the window actually minimizes, and block it

2. Show the taskbar icon

3. Force minimize

4. Hide the taskbar icon

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Yes it is still there :) 

It doesn't happen when minimizing to tray when the icon is shown on the taskbar.

Actually, to explain in more detail, there is no such thing as minimizing to tray. It's a trick accomplished by 3 actions:

2. Minimize

3. Hide the taskbar icon

Because the taskbar icon is hidden after the minimize action, the problem doesn't occur. The problem occurs in this case:

2. Hide the taskbar icon

3. Minimize --> titlebar of the window remains visible at the bottom left corner of the screen. Because the application icon is not shown on the taskbar, the app thinks there is no taskbar to minimize to, and minimizes to the bottom left of the screen (this is Windows 3.1 behaviour).

A workaround I'm thinking of:

1. catch the minimize event before the window actually minimizes, and block it

2. Show the taskbar icon

3. Force minimize

4. Hide the taskbar icon

what about no taskbar icon while its not minimized?

3 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

what about no taskbar icon while its not minimized?

That's no problem. The problem occurs when minimizing. So I have to take this case into account.

I don't know about if this has been covered in 87+ pages of posts. But this Dopamine works perfectly in Windows 7 Home Premium. As I was listening to Hinder's "lips of an angel", in all its awesome sound on DTS Audio, I got to thinking Raphael.

I know Amazon seems to be API friendly I was thinking of a feature for streaming my music off my amazon account. At this moment, I can play my albums through my browser but I'd much prefer (again, as I always say, "if its not too code heavy) but allow for streaming of amazon audio from our accounts in a future build.

as for the install, it went without a hitch, I HIGHLY suggest users of windows 7 to NOT use the feature when you install, make the color of dopamine the color of your window or something like that. It causes the application to grow dark and makes it kind of difficult to see. probably an issue of using Windows 7 but working with the colors otherwise works great. I'm getting into saving hard drive space (1TB or actually 931 GB formatted) so I'm looking at a music player that can allow streaming from the big audio sellers: in this case, Amazon. they list the albums accordingly like Dopamine does so that could be easily remedied I'm sure (Geez I hope so :D ).

********** added for Clarity***************

I don't remember much about programming but, the libraries you use for Dopamine look all the same within Windows 7. But you created a music player that works with Windows 7 through 10. Not bad my brother. Keep up the good work.

Edited by chrisj1968
added for clarity

14 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I don't know about if this has been covered in 87+ pages of posts. But this Dopamine works perfectly in Windows 7 Home Premium. As I was listening to Hinder's "lips of an angel", in all its awesome sound on DTS Audio, I got to thinking Raphael.

I know Amazon seems to be API friendly I was thinking of a feature for streaming my music off my amazon account. At this moment, I can play my albums through my browser but I'd much prefer (again, as I always say, "if its not too code heavy) but allow for streaming of amazon audio from our accounts in a future build.

as for the install, it went without a hitch, I HIGHLY suggest users of windows 7 to NOT use the feature when you install, make the color of dopamine the color of your window or something like that. It causes the application to grow dark and makes it kind of difficult to see. probably an issue of using Windows 7 but working with the colors otherwise works great. I'm getting into saving hard drive space (1TB or actually 931 GB formatted) so I'm looking at a music player that can allow streaming from the big audio sellers: in this case, Amazon. they list the albums accordingly like Dopamine does so that could be easily remedied I'm sure (Geez I hope so :D ).

********** added for Clarity***************

I don't remember much about programming but, the libraries you use for Dopamine look all the same within Windows 7. But you created a music player that works with Windows 7 through 10. Not bad my brother. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback concerning Windows 7. Sad to see you go back from 10 to 7. Anyway, Windows 7 support is one of the requirements of Dopamine, as I'm using Dopamine to listen to music at work and our work laptops are powered by Windows 7. So I make sure it works :) 

Concerning your Amazon request. I think you asked something similar inside these 87+ pages :) I would love to add streaming features later. I can't promise anything yet, as I'm still trying to tackle other issues right now, and trying to get basics right and performant.

In other news, this is what I managed to do for the next build, so far:

12-04-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.638 (Preview)

- Order by date added is now based on the creation date of the files

- Now playing is now accessed by clicking the playback information at the bottom left of the main window

- Querying the database is now more efficient, which speeds up refreshing of the lists

- Removed album layout selection. It slows down rendering and scrolling of album lists.

- Switching between album sizes doesn't require a full reload of the albums

- Fixed a bug where the Task bar icon doesn't appear when restoring from tray in maximized mode

- Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation

I'll probably release a build soon, and push audio engine improvements for the build after that.

5 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Thanks for the feedback concerning Windows 7. Sad to see you go back from 10 to 7. Anyway, Windows 7 support is one of the requirements of Dopamine, as I'm using Dopamine to listen to music at work and our work laptops are powered by Windows 7. So I make sure it works :) 

Concerning your Amazon request. I think you asked something similar inside these 87+ pages :) I would love to add streaming features later. I can't promise anything yet, as I'm still trying to tackle other issues right now, and trying to get basics right and performant.

In other news, this is what I managed to do for the next build, so far:

12-04-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.638 (Preview)

- Order by date added is now based on the creation date of the files

- Now playing is now accessed by clicking the playback information at the bottom left of the main window

- Querying the database is now more efficient, which speeds up refreshing of the lists

- Removed album layout selection. It slows down rendering and scrolling of album lists.

- Switching between album sizes doesn't require a full reload of the albums

- Fixed a bug where the Task bar icon doesn't appear when restoring from tray in maximized mode

- Updated the Portuguese (Portugal) translation

I'll probably release a build soon, and push audio engine improvements for the build after that.

sounds great =)