Dopamine

10 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

It would be better if he post it on his website for everyone to see... 

Instead of we are flipping the forum pages to find the requests/issues.

I'll agree.. Thanks for addon..

Hi everyone!

A new build of Dopamine is available. This will most likely be the last preview build before the final 1.0 release.

Here is the changelog:

19-06-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.655 (Preview)

• Updated the Greek translation
  • Fixed a sporadic crash when cycling through songs
  • Fixed a bug in the update check
  • Changed the slider buttons and made the Micro and Nano player progress slider button easier to grab

Download here

Thanks for the new update.  Solid.

Will the cloud screen animate when you rollover albums or will it be some kind of random animation?

4 hours ago, wetworker said:

Thanks for the new update.  Solid.

Will the cloud screen animate when you rollover albums or will it be some kind of random animation?

No it is rather static. What do you have in mind?

been using this build pretty much non stop since the release, nice and solid :)  Working great!  Thank you Raphael!

been listening to Twenty One Pilots new one - Blurryface - great album :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2016 at 1:02 AM, Raphaël G. said:

No it is rather static. What do you have in mind?

What would be cool.  If we had  a image of an artist, with a bit of blur that fills the background,or random pictures of all the artist in your collection that cycles randomly. small thumbnails of Artist names/pic would be floating over that big image in the background . once you rollover  an artist name/pic all their albums would then expand out. so you can then play all or a single album. or even explore news, bio or other pics.  The explore stuff might be a bit too much work though. I would settle just for the albums part.

I could do a mock-up to better illustrate it if you like.

Hello everyone!

After almost 2 years of development, I’m proud to announce that Dopamine version 1.0 is released!

The road to 1.0 was long, but I had a lot of help from all around the world. That’s why I’d like to thank everyone who was involved in any way (donations, moral support, bug reports, feature requests and ideas, translations,…). Your input made Dopamine what it is today.

So does that mean the end of development for Dopamine? Far from it! The future will bring more fun stuff, like: scrobbling, album art preview in the Taskbar, online album art fetching, lyrics support, … A Windows mobile version of Dopamine is currently also in development. If you have a Windows Mobile 10 device, stay tuned.

So that’s it, go grab Dopamine 1.0 here and enjoy your music!

Dopamine release.png

Raphael, wonderful job. Congratulations. 

Q: Does your app have a functionality that if someone, not me, could develop a plugin to incorporate a CD Ripper? 

you've made the base app, but if there was a capability, I imagine someone here could develop a plugin for CD ripping Capabilities.

Just a thought. I know you have a lot on your plate. but wonderful job and GREAT!, milestone!

Just to let you know, Panda Antivirus flagged dopamine.exe as a virus. 

Edit: it flagged it as a suspicious file.

11 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Raphael, wonderful job. Congratulations. 

Q: Does your app have a functionality that if someone, not me, could develop a plugin to incorporate a CD Ripper? 

you've made the base app, but if there was a capability, I imagine someone here could develop a plugin for CD ripping Capabilities.

Just a thought. I know you have a lot on your plate. but wonderful job and GREAT!, milestone!

There are lots of fantastic CD rip software out there... don't bloat it up with stuff that isn't needed.  Just keep it a player, ripping can be done with other free software that does a great job already.

• Like 3

Congrats Raphael, have loved coming along for the journey from MusiX to now Dopamine. 

Sadly no Windows phone but I wish you the best of luck with that project.

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

Congrats Raphael, have loved coming along for the journey from MusiX to now Dopamine. 

Sadly no Windows phone but I wish you the best of luck with that project.

Thanks!

I started development of Dopamine Mobile when Microsoft still seemed to care about their platform. Right now I have mixed feelings. I love UWP, but I don't want my work to be a waste of time. I don't like java, but there is Xamarin, which is now free, and allows creating Android apps using C#. So, my plans might change I don't know yet. Good news is I developed Dopamine in C# instead of VB. So the code is not lost. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Thanks!

I started development of Dopamine Mobile when Microsoft still seemed to care about their platform. Right now I have mixed feelings. I love UWP, but I don't want my work to be a waste of time. I don't like java, but there is Xamarin, which is now free, and allows creating Android apps using C#. So, my plans might change I don't know yet. Good news is I developed Dopamine in C# instead of VB. So the code is not lost. 

Android would certainly interest me to a degree however I don't know how others feel on this sort of thing but for me mobile media players I wouldn't really take a second look at because I'm so heavily subscribed into Google Music (my Library is stored there). I'd imagine there are countless others who subscribe to things like Spotify or Apple Music or even just taking advantage of cloud storage for streaming/offline play downloads that unless your App could hook into those and pull their libraries I can't see many people changing because of that.

Now if you could somehow develop an app that could mix your ITunes Library with your Google Music Library etc that would be amazing but I'd imagine both Google and Apple don't have any for of API's for that sort of thing otherwise It would have been done by now.

I don't mean to put you off in anyway, just sharing my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Android would certainly interest me to a degree however I don't know how others feel on this sort of thing but for me mobile media players I wouldn't really take a second look at because I'm so heavily subscribed into Google Music (my Library is stored there). I'd imagine there are countless others who subscribe to things like Spotify or Apple Music or even just taking advantage of cloud storage for streaming/offline play downloads that unless your App could hook into those and pull their libraries I can't see many people changing because of that.

Now if you could somehow develop an app that could mix your ITunes Library with your Google Music Library etc that would be amazing but I'd imagine both Google and Apple don't have any for of API's for that sort of thing otherwise It would have been done by now.

I don't mean to put you off in anyway, just sharing my 2 cents.

That's actually useful info. Maybe a music player (offline, without subscription) doesn't make much sense on a mobile device. Plus, I guess (didn't check) there are probably a massive amount of alternatives. On Windows Phone it makes some kind of sense. There is room for improvement :). I'll think about it.

Best music player on earth in 1.0 ! Congratulations ! :)

I would love a C# UWP version ! I own a Lumia 930, Surface Pro 3, Xbox One, and bought recently a Lumia 950 XL, it would fit perfectly on all these devices :).

In C# it could be more powerful than VB version :).

On 29/06/2016 at 7:46 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Hello everyone!

After almost 2 years of development, I’m proud to announce that Dopamine version 1.0 is released!

The road to 1.0 was long, but I had a lot of help from all around the world. That’s why I’d like to thank everyone who was involved in any way (donations, moral support, bug reports, feature requests and ideas, translations,…). Your input made Dopamine what it is today.

So does that mean the end of development for Dopamine? Far from it! The future will bring more fun stuff, like: scrobbling, album art preview in the Taskbar, online album art fetching, lyrics support, … A Windows mobile version of Dopamine is currently also in development. If you have a Windows Mobile 10 device, stay tuned.

So that’s it, go grab Dopamine 1.0 here and enjoy your music!

Dopamine release.png

Congrats on the great news and milestone for Dopamine, @Raphaël G. :)

It's been a long way as you said, and I'm grateful to have been able to colaborate on some degree.

All the best moving forward, mate! You surely deserve it!
Thank you! :laugh:

Congrats on the 1.0 milestone.  Dopamine has been my default music player since you started releasing the previews and I'm sure it will continue to be for years to come.  It's a wonderful piece of software, so thank you so much for all the hard work you have put in and your continued efforts.

On 6/30/2016 at 7:31 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Maybe a music player (offline, without subscription) doesn't make much sense on a mobile device. Plus, I guess (didn't check) there are probably a massive amount of alternatives. On Windows Phone it makes some kind of sense. There is room for improvement :). I'll think about it.

While I understand the point of an online player, I'm one that ripped 100s of CDs and managed my library locally over the years. Don't see the point in paying Apple for listening to something I already own, so I'm definitely an offline player user. I've used Track8 on iOS as my default player since iOS5, and despite it being abandoned ~ iOS7 it still works well on iOS9. I'd pay for Dopamine on iOS but I know that won't happen.

Anyways, contrats on 1.0

Well done! I'm still using Dopamine as my main/only player and loving it.

Regarding UWP, as an owner of a Surface and Lumia 950, I personally wouldn't use another player on my phone other than Groove as it does the job just fine for my usage, but I would really love to have Dopamine on my Surface.

Maybe if that means we get both then I would definitely give it a try on my phone and try to help you find any issues.

Someone has attempted to make a Zune like player in UWP but it isn't up to Dopamine standards - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/bloom-music-player/9nblggh4ls1s

On 6/30/2016 at 7:31 AM, Raphaël G. said:

That's actually useful info. Maybe a music player (offline, without subscription) doesn't make much sense on a mobile device. Plus, I guess (didn't check) there are probably a massive amount of alternatives. On Windows Phone it makes some kind of sense. There is room for improvement :). I'll think about it.

If you go with UWP, you get the Windows 10 Phones and also the Windows 10 tablets which are a rapidly growing segment due to the surge in the "2 in 1" devices.

You also get Windows 10 Desktop but you already have that. Depending on how your code is structured, the Xamarin Forms could be just another 10 to 20% to get Android and IOS but then there are a ton of mobile issues you haven't had to deal with. Even UWP adds the need to consider a lot more power states, device variations, storage management and sandboxing issues which can be non-trivial depending on your current code layout.

The VLC project has source code to a Windows 10 player which could be interesting for you to examine but of course they have a lot of baggage to deal with so maybe not...

Anyways, congrats on your 1.0 milestone!