Dopamine

18 hours ago, dakn said:

Is this just in the previews? I like the idea as it makes reporting easier but could it not be on the first page of the settings? Then it can just stay there regardless of version.

Once you've added the Maximise/Fullscreen button up there it's gonna be getting busy - That was a cheeky reminder of that request. :D

For now I'll keep it where it is. There are a lot of users reporting vague issues like: "covers don't work", "lyrics don't show", "Dopamine seems lazy to display lyrics". As I don't have a crystal ball, I then ask for the log file. You can guess the next question: "where can I find the log file?". So the bug is there in an attempt to make bug reporting more straight forward for users and for me. If I move it to a secondary screen, they'll again fail to see it and the same question will pop up again.

The bug is only shown is previews. The final release won't have it.

Edit: the fullscreen button won't be in 1.2 final. So that gives me some time to think about it :)

18 hours ago, dakn said:

Nice. I like that location (Y)

18 hours ago, Ravensky said:

same, its perfect there! (Y)

Glad you like it. We finally found a location who pleases myself and my users :)

17 hours ago, Ravensky said:

Raphael, do you have a topic in here for Knowte?

No. Should I? :)

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

For now I'll keep it where it is. There are a lot of users reporting vague issues like: "covers don't work", "lyrics don't show", "Dopamine seems lazy to display lyrics". As I don't have a crystal ball, I then ask for the log file. You can guess the next question: "where can I find the log file?". So the bug is there in an attempt to make bug reporting more straight forward for users and for me. If I move it to a secondary screen, they'll again fail to see it and the same question will pop up again.

The bug is only shown is previews. The final release won't have it.

Edit: the fullscreen button won't be in 1.2 final. So that gives me some time to think about it :)

Yeah understood. I knew that was the reasoning trying to make reporting as easy as possible. I can live with it (don't even noticed it), was just a thought.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a reason why there seems to be a difference between what is displayed for "album art" and what is shown in the now playing bar? If there is no "album" can it not just display the track art?

1wbNDfT.png

10 hours ago, Skiver said:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a reason why there seems to be a difference between what is displayed for "album art" and what is shown in the now playing bar? If there is no "album" can it not just display the track art?

1wbNDfT.png

That's exactly what it does now (since a few builds). The info bar always tries to show the art which is embedded in the file. If it doesn't find embedded art, it tries to find external art files (folder.jpg,...), and if it cannot find those, it tries to show the album art.

That's why you see a difference between album art and track art. The track probably has embedded art, but the album has no cover, because the album title is not filled in for that track. Dopamine then uses "Unkown album" in the album view. Unknown albums never get a cover.

Another preview of Dopamine 1.2 is available: 1.2 build 840 (preview)
If no major issues are found in this preview, that will be the last preview before 1.2 final is released.

This is the change log:

– [Added] Added option to remember the last played song and its playback progress at the next start up
– [Added] Added Artist and Genre order toggle
– [Fixed] Crashes at startup which multiple users were experiencing
– [Fixed] Album art is trimmed horizontally

Download here

• Like 2

Hi everyone!

I’ve got an early Christmas present for you.

After almost 3 months of development and testing, I’m proud to announce that Dopamine 1.2 has been released!

This is the full change log since version 1.1.1:

2016-12-24: Dopamine 1.2 Build 845 (Release)

– [Added] The last played song and its progress is now optionally remembered on next start
– [Added] Added “Play next” feature
– [Added] Songs screen has an optional column that shows if a song has lyrics
– [Added] Possibility to re-order songs by drag and drop in playlists and Now Playing screen
– [Added] A more visible tray icon for systems which are not running Windows 10
– [Added] It is now possible to edit tags in Now Playing screen and Mini Player
– [Added] Added options to show a notification when pausing and resuming a song
– [Added] Added Last.fm scrobbling
– [Added] Added a ‘Love’ button which can send ‘Love’ and ‘Unlove’ requests to Last.fm
– [Added] Added lyrics support (automatic lyrics download, edit lyrics, and screen to display lyrics while playing)
– [Added] Added an option to modify how much the volume changes when scrolling with the mouse on the volume bar
– [Added] Collection refresh on startup is now optional
– [Added] Added an Artist information screen
– [Added] Added download of album covers from the Internet
– [Added] Added “Play with Dopamine” to the Windows folder context menu
– [Added] Added “Add to playlist > New playlist…” on the context menu of all screens
– [Added] Added download of cover art for albums
– [Changed] When enabling “Open the last selected page at startup”, the last selected Now Playing page is now also remembered.
– [Changed] Upgraded to the latest version of the CSCore Audio Library
– [Changed] Changed the album selection box, as it wasn’t visible enough.
– [Changed] The notification window now puts emphasis on the song title instead of the artist name
– [Changed] Sorting by album on the Songs screen now respects the track order inside an album
– [Changed] The “Columns…” button on Songs screen was moved to right-click menu
– [Changed] The playback controls pane is now narrower
– [Changed] Improved the quality of the cloud screen covers
– [Changed] Improved the “Follow song” description as it was confusing
– [Changed] “See you later” screen when closing is only displayed when there are background tasks remaining
– [Changed] Removed song covers from playlists. They were in fact albums covers and were confusing for users.
– [Changed] Updated the Chinese Traditional translation
– [Changed] Updated the Chinese Simplified translation
– [Changed] Updated the Spanish translation
– [Changed] Updated the Greek translation
– [Changed] The comment field is now multiline
– [Changed] Moved the “Shuffle all” button to a more logical place
– [Fixed] Improved sorting on the Songs screen
– [Fixed] The same audio files are added multiple times to the collection in some cases
– [Fixed] Removed the blurry background when semantic zoom is visible. It made semantic zoom harder to read.
– [Fixed] The main window is still visible in the ALT-TAB menu when minimized or closed to the tray
– [Fixed] Multiple issues when switching audio devices
– [Fixed] Notifications cause closing of tray controls
– [Fixed] Opening a playlist causes a crash
– [Fixed] A lot of bugs in processing of metadata
– [Fixed] Unrating a song is now easier
– [Fixed] Refreshing of covers is more fluid
– [Fixed] Song covers are more accurate. Covers stored in or with the audio files have higher priority than album covers.
– [Fixed] Fixed now playing information not updated when metadata changes
– [Fixed] MusicBee ratings are not read from MP3’s
– [Fixed] “Follow the Windows color”, which was broken since version 1.1.
– [Fixed] A big memory leak
– [Fixed] Search field not always visible when coming back from Settings or Information pages
– [Fixed] Album art is not displayed on the background of the Now playing screen when double-clicking files from explorer
– [Fixed] The Manual equalizer preset is not translated when selected
– [Fixed] Chinese metadata is garbled
– [Fixed] Clicking a scrollbar plays the selected item
– [Fixed] Rating to MP3 files doesn’t work if the file is not in the collection
– [Fixed] Windows case insensitivity for files and folder names isn’t respected

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release: testers, developers, people who suggested great ideas and those who donated.

Download Dopamine 1.2 release

Edit: the 1.2 installer apparently had an issue where upgrading from an older version caused Dopamine to be uninstalled but not installed again. I've fixed that in version 1.2.1 build 846. I removed build 845 from the download section, and replaced it by build 846. That is also a "Release" version.

If you install build 846 over build 845, you'll notice that the issue still occurs. It however only occurs when you're upgrading from 845 (which has a broken installation). You can fix the 845 installation by running the MSI installer again and by choosing "repair".

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:35 AM, PabUK said:

Another great update, and perhaps a good time to sneak in a re-request for manual audio output device selection. :)

This would be REALLY sweet with an option for Automatically change to default audio device in settings then if this is set to Off have a selectable dropdown box of audio devices to manually set it to.  I prefer auto because I use an onscreen audio device selector to change my default audio device, Dopamine picks up the change automatically (thank you Raphael) and changes it instantly.  I am using: Headphone / Speaker Switcher for Rainmeter which I LOVE!

1 hour ago, Ravensky said:

This would be REALLY sweet with an option for Automatically change to default audio device in settings then if this is set to Off have a selectable dropdown box of audio devices to manually set it to.  I prefer auto because I use an onscreen audio device selector to change my default audio device, Dopamine picks up the change automatically (thank you Raphael) and changes it instantly.  I am using: Headphone / Speaker Switcher for Rainmeter which I LOVE!

Genuine question: What is the benefit of having it in Dopamine compared to just clicking on the Volume icon in the system tray and fast switching audio devices? 

mixer.jpg

2 hours ago, dakn said:

Genuine question: What is the benefit of having it in Dopamine compared to just clicking on the Volume icon in the system tray and fast switching audio devices? 

mixer.jpg

This is fine but with all the notifications I get in that same area its a pain in the ASS...but I wasn't the one requesting the feature... I have that issue resolved already.

7 hours ago, dakn said:

I explained my need for this feature here when I first made the request. In short, I have 2 audio devices setup (headphones and speakers) and I want to keep the default on headphones while forcing Dopamine to use the speakers.

3 hours ago, PabUK said:

I explained my need for this feature here when I first made the request. In short, I have 2 audio devices setup (headphones and speakers) and I want to keep the default on headphones while forcing Dopamine to use the speakers.

I'll have look at that in version 1.3.

20 hours ago, Zlip792 said:

Good to see that blogs like ghacks also covering Dopamine..

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/30/dopamine-1-2-audio-player-released/

Certainly nice! But, tough crowd :pinch:. Also, 105 MB is quite low for Dopamine. They'll be disappointed after using it extensively...

33 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Certainly nice! But, tough crowd :pinch:. Also, 105 MB is quite low for Dopamine. They'll be disappointed after using it extensively...

If it's any consolation, I'm quite particular about memory usage and I think ~100 MB is acceptable for a player as aesthetically beautiful as Dopamine. Lower is always better, but it's certainly not a problem at the moment.

4 hours ago, dakn said:

Keep meaning to mention that I've noticed a bug with the new shuffle all button, at least I assume it's a bug, as it only shuffles whole albums, not individual songs..?

It's supposed to shuffle your whole collection? It doesn't?

Hey everyone. I just released a new version of Dopamine. This is the change log:

Dopamine 1.2.2 Build 857 (Release)

Disclaimer:

This release requires unpinning and pinning Dopamine from and to the Windows Taskbar.
That is expected, and caused by changes to the installer, see (*). Please don’t e-mail about this.

– [Added] Added MetroLyrics as extra automatic lyrics provider (because Chartlyrics went dead)
– [Added] Added an option to enable/disable automatic lyrics providers individually and an option to set a lyrics download timeout
– [Added] Mouse XButton1 plays the previous song, XButton2 plays the next song.
– [Fixed] Artists sorting (song, album, all) was restored after an unmanagable amount of complaints about its removal.
– [Fixed] Lyrics search stops if querying 1 lyrics provider fails, even if there are still other providers to left to use.
– [Fixed] Mute doesn’t stick when the next song starts playing
– [Fixed] (*) Hopefully fixed an issue with the installer, which caused missing files on some computers (I hate Windows installer).

Download here

• Like 3

I released another version today: version 1.2.3 (build 860)

Hopefully this one gets it right. Change log:

– [Fixed] Instability on 32-bit Windows versions
– [Fixed] Fixed a bug in the Artists sorting

Download and info

Hey folks, I have a question.

I got multiple requests for folder play, but as I don't need such feature myself, I'm wondering how it can be useful. Why should a music player replicate ones folder structure? Isn't that just the same as opening Windows Explorer, browsing to the desired file, and double clicking it? Or right clicking a folder, and choosing "Play with ..."?

Honest question. I'd like to understand why some people find a player without folder play "worthless".