• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:20 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 13 has been released. This is the change log:

- [Changed] Updated the Bulgarian translation
- [Fixed] Loop issues which were introduced in Preview 12

Download here

Hello! When you run multiple files that are not in the collection, the load begins to go high. This was the case in previous versions as well. For example, if I run 14 files twice and cpu slowly starts to go high , it is as if the processor is overloaded. And it's not.

3 hours ago, kukata said:

Hello! When you run multiple files that are not in the collection, the load begins to go high. This was the case in previous versions as well. For example, if I run 14 files twice and cpu slowly starts to go high , it is as if the processor is overloaded. And it's not.

What do you mean by running files? Could tell me what exactly you're doing? Thanks :)

15 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

What do you mean by running files? Could tell me what exactly you're doing? Thanks :)

I select 14 songs from a folder. After a while I open more 14 in the same way and it starts to feel slowing down. It's like overloading the processor.  But this is not true. I must restart the player.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Galaxy Book S and the Surface Pro X on the horizon, are there plans to compile this for ARM, or will it already run natively on ARM without using the 32-bit emulation? 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Darrian said:

With the Galaxy Book S and the Surface Pro X on the horizon, are there plans to compile this for ARM, or will it already run natively on ARM without using the 32-bit emulation? 

It will have to be compiled for ARM. I'll have to do some research. At this point, I have no idea if compiling for ARM is even possible. Also, I'm relying on 3rd party DLL's which are not compiled for ARM.

Hey everyone,

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 14 has just been released. Feature-wise, nothing has changed. I did fix a bug and reverted to a lighter version of the audio engine. This is done in an attempt to resolve a high CPU usage bug which plagues some users. Lets see if this helps. This is the change log:

- [Fixed] Folders screen doesn't respect order of songs in the folder
- [Changed] Removed FFmpeg decoder

Download: https://www.digimezzo.com/content/software/dopamine/

29 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

It will have to be compiled for ARM. I'll have to do some research. At this point, I have no idea if compiling for ARM is even possible. Also, I'm relying on 3rd party DLL's which are not compiled for ARM.

does Electron cover ARM at all? might be able to get it working with your rewrite if so; maybe have it use some alternate DLLs when running on ARM if the owners don't want to recompile the ones you use currently.

Would love to use Dopamine on a Windows 10 on ARM laptop if I get one sometime in the future (probably won't be for a few years; waiting for the desktop grade snapdragon chips to mature a little more; the 8cx chip is a large step in the right direction :))

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

does Electron cover ARM at all? might be able to get it working with your rewrite if so; maybe have it use some alternate DLLs when running on ARM if the owners don't want to recompile the ones you use currently.

Would love to use Dopamine on a Windows 10 on ARM laptop if I get one sometime in the future (probably won't be for a few years; waiting for the desktop grade snapdragon chips to mature a little more; the 8cx chip is a large step in the right direction :))

As far as i could see in my short research this evening, ARM seems supported by Electron. That would be good news for Dopamine 3.0.

If it's not possible now, I know it will be, but I'm pretty sure it's already available as an option.  There's little point worrying about it today, because neither devices are available today, and owners of older, less powerful ARM on Windows devices aren't clamoring for Dopamine (afaik).  However, November 5 isn't too far off.  I wouldn't expect you to have it ready on day one, but if you could consider compiling for ARM in the future that would be awesome.  In the meantime, it should be able to (hypothetically) run the x86 version, emulated, assuming you're not compiling 64-bit only at this point.

I really want a Surface Pro X, and I'll probably get one, but I don't expect you to compile for ARM just to make one user happy. 

I'm also super-excited about the Linux release.

I missed the part about DLLs, though. I didn't realize they were architecture-specific. If it turns out to be too much work, I'm sure running the x86 version will be acceptable. I'm just concerned about performance, but it's just a music player, not a AAA $80 video game.

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 15 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Fixed] Tray icon is not visible when using light system theme in Windows 10
– [Added] Added Norwegian translation

Enjoy!

Download here

On 10/9/2019 at 10:16 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Hey everyone,

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 14 has just been released. Feature-wise, nothing has changed. I did fix a bug and reverted to a lighter version of the audio engine. This is done in an attempt to resolve a high CPU usage bug which plagues some users. Lets see if this helps. This is the change log:

- [Fixed] Folders screen doesn't respect order of songs in the folder
- [Changed] Removed FFmpeg decoder

Download: https://www.digimezzo.com/content/software/dopamine/

Unfortunately, the problem of high resource use remains. When playing more than 40-50 files sequentially (from an external folder). Tried on a laptop and desktop. 

On 10/17/2019 at 2:24 PM, kukata said:

Unfortunately, the problem of high resource use remains. When playing more than 40-50 files sequentially (from an external folder). Tried on a laptop and desktop. 

Could you tell me exactly how you are opening these songs? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "external folder". Are you opening a folder in Windows Explorer en selecting "Play with Dopamine"?. I can't reproduce this problem here, so explicit steps would really help. Thanks.

@Raphaël G.Why not try to run your software via some static analysis tool e.g. PVS Studio (offered free to Open Source projects) and then try to find some memory leaks or other bugs?

19 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Could you tell me exactly how you are opening these songs? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "external folder". Are you opening a folder in Windows Explorer en selecting "Play with Dopamine"?. I can't reproduce this problem here, so explicit steps would really help. Thanks.

I select them from a folder and choose to run with Dopamine. Not added to player playlist. If added to the player there is no problem. But that is how he played over 40 songs in a row.

https://imgur.com/ZBxcSFZ

Edited by kukata

On 10/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, Zlip792 said:

@Raphaël G.Why not try to run your software via some static analysis tool e.g. PVS Studio (offered free to Open Source projects) and then try to find some memory leaks or other bugs?

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out, as soon as they send the trial license I requested :)

11 hours ago, kukata said:

I select them from a folder and choose to run with Dopamine. Not added to player playlist. If added to the player there is no problem. But that is how he played over 40 songs in a row.

https://imgur.com/ZBxcSFZ

Thanks for the precise description. It's a real pity that, even following these instructions, I cannot reproduce this issue here. I currently have no idea what is going on. :( Even the code which is executed when performing these actions, is not doing anything CPU intensive.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Dopamine 2.0 Preview 16 has just been released!

This is the change log:

– [Added] Added an option to remove songs from disk in the Now Playing context menu (can be enabled in the settings)
– [Changed] Updated the Japanese translation
– [Fixed] Fixed a crash which occurs when removing all songs from Now Playing
– [Fixed] Removed a dotted border that sometimes appears around buttons
– [Fixed] Discs are ordered wrong when an album has more than 10 discs
– [Fixed] Pressing the keyboard left arrow doesn’t jump a song back to the beginning when it has been playing for less than 15 seconds
– [Fixed] It is not possible to type + and – in the last.fm password box

Download here

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I've been busy this weekend and processed another batch of issues. Because the list of issues remaining for a final 2.0 is now very small, we've reached beta. So:

Dopamine 2.0 Beta 1 has just been released.

This is the change log for this beta:

– [Fixed] Lyrics are not saved to the audio files
– [Fixed] Lyrics are not displayed the 1st time the lyrics page is shown
– [Fixed] File size information in the songs lists is rounded down
– [Fixed] It is not possible to re-order static playlists
– [Fixed] It is not possible to add songs to playlists from the Now Playing screen
– [Fixed] Playback order is not reset when song order is changed on the songs list and songs are enqueued again

Download Beta 1 here

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Dopamine 2.0 Beta 2 has been released. This is the change log:

– [Changed] Updated the Chinese (Traditional) translation
– [Changed] Updated the German translation
– [Changed] Updated the Greek translation
– [Changed] Updated the Swedish translation
– [Fixed] Multimedia play and pause keys are not always working
– [Fixed] External control server fails to retrieve current track

Download here

Enjoy!

27 minutes ago, Neyht said:

I cant setup media keys in logitech options anymore on beta 2 or 3.  Beta 1 works fine.

Could you enable the option "Enable default multimedia key support" and see if that helps?

Some explanation concerning this new option:

To my great joy, there are multiple mechanisms to control media keys in Windows (Why make it easy for developers...). On some computers, only mechanism 1 works, for others, only mechanism 2. Then, last but not least, are those for which both mechanisms are triggered when pressing media keys. Great fun. So, previous versions of Dopamine (until Beta 1) tried to be smart about this (to be compatible with everyone) and supported both mechanisms at once. For the people where both mechanisms work and both trigger media keys, there was a problem. Play and pause would negate each other. Next and previous would be triggered twice. So I had to split both mechanisms up and added the option "Enable default multimedia key support", which essentially toggles between both mechanisms. When this option is disabled, Dopamine listens to low level Windows media key presses. When enabled, Dopamine listens to appcommand media key presses, which are usually triggered by multimedia keyboards and headsets (e.g. Logitech). The name for this options comes from Winamp (I haven't invented it).

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Could you enable the option "Enable default multimedia key support" and see if that helps?

Yeah, it works now.  Thanks.  I didn't think to look for an option in settings.

One more thing though.  There is a visual bug when playing though a smart playlist with shuffle enabled.  It goes to the next song in the playlist, then (sometimes) briefly scrolls down to the bottom of the playlist for a split second, then goes back to the playing song.  This doesn't effect playback at all, it's just a visual bug.  It doesn't happen on a normal playlist.

The playlist is a 162 song favorites playlist

37 minutes ago, Neyht said:

Yeah, it works now.  Thanks.  I didn't think to look for an option in settings.

One more thing though.  There is a visual bug when playing though a smart playlist with shuffle enabled.  It goes to the next song in the playlist, then (sometimes) briefly scrolls down to the bottom of the playlist for a split second, then goes back to the playing song.  This doesn't effect playback at all, it's just a visual bug.  It doesn't happen on a normal playlist.

The playlist is a 162 song favorites playlist

Excellent! (that it now works)

Thanks for the issue report. I've created an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/digimezzo/dopamine-windows/issues/1086