Linux Browser

I am using Firefox 37.0.2 for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0

The problem I am having, that witth some flash games, it says I don't have Flash 11.03 or something... I looked around, and it seems only available with Chrome.

Now here's my thing with Chrome. When I open up any browser, I usually have 10 tabs up. Chrome will update every page, not only if you click on it. (I can't find app at moment) I know there is one program that will disallow that, but it doesn't work like I want it to.

I never really liked Opera, was way too busy feeling like. Like too much in one package.

I don't think Chromium will make that big a difference.

Edit: Anyway, I'm looking for something new, you got anything?

The problem I am having, that witth some flash games, it says I don't have Flash 11.03 or something... I looked around, and it seems only available with Chrome.

Now here's my thing with Chrome. When I open up any browser, I usually have 10 tabs up. Chrome will update every page, not only if you click on it. (I can't find app at moment) I know there is one program that will disallow that, but it doesn't work like I want it to.

I never really liked Opera, was way too busy feeling like. Like too much in one package.

I don't think Chromium will make that big a difference.

Have you tried the new chromium based opera? it was totally re-written and its now very clean and minimalist, quite different from the old opera, you may find that you like it: 

W1ClGPz.png

You can configure opera to delay loading of background tabs on startup so that they only load once you click them: 

Go to opera menu > settings > show advanced settings > check the box for 'delay loading of background tabs'

Regarding flash player, since opera uses chromium you can install the up to date pepper flash (vs the out of date npapi version firefox is stuck with on linux), just install the "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" package :)

Have you tried the new chromium based opera? it was totally re-written and its now very clean and minimalist, quite different from the old opera, you may find that you like it. I prefer it to chrome/chromium on linux, IMO the ui is less ugly than chrome's there.

You can configure opera to delay loading of background tabs on startup so that they only load once you click them: 

Go to opera menu > settings > show advanced settings > check the box for 'delay loading of background tabs'

Regarding flash player, since opera uses chromium you can install the up to date pepper flash (vs the out of date npapi version firefox is stuck with on linux), just install the "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" package :)

Haven't seen you around here lately...

I'll try chromium/opera. :)

Haven't seen you around here lately...

I'll try chromium/opera. :)

Yeah I only occasionally play with linux on my spare laptop these days :( Just installed the new debian jessie today :)

Ok, the only problem i had with opera was the bookmarks. But I found a guide to help me with that. Had to use chrome, import firefox bookmarks, and then copy the "bookmarks" file into Opera. Why it wouldn't work with Firefox, I'm not sure, but I got it working :D

Also got my 2 plugins (well one) Lastpass and a different ad blocker.

Edit: oh, the guide was for windows, but i found the files needed ;)

• 8 months later...
On 28/04/2015 at 2:24 AM, Mindovermaster said:

15 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

or have a look on vivaldi. impressive browser

I actually loved the old Opera! I can't wait for Vivaldi to come out of beta.

1 minute ago, James7 said:

I actually loved the old Opera! I can't wait for Vivaldi to come out of beta.

i was a long time opera user when still on windows (win vista and win 7 times), somehow i never really used it since i was on linux and now i am a bit confused. i know vivaldi is basically a fork from opera, but then there is also an "old" opera and a "new" opera and on top of this there is otter-browser, which is also some kind of fork. i tried otter-browser but vivaldi felt more complete.

- vivaldi: rendering engine??? closed source

- otter-browser: open source, rendering engine???

- opera "old":  rendering engine???

- opera "new": rendering engine???

can anyone complete this and maybe add information about what else is different?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 0:06 AM, Simon Lang 9047 said:

or have a look on vivaldi. impressive browser

Would have been impressive if they had a bookmark manager, I lost a tonne of bookmarks because I couldn't export them, I even tried their instructions of installing Chrome to get at the bookmarks, that didn't work.

1 minute ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Would have been impressive if they had a bookmark manager, I lost a tonne of bookmarks because I couldn't export them, I even tried their instructions of installing Chrome to get at the bookmarks, that didn't work.

but it has... "file", "export data",  chose name and folder where you want to export your bookmarks.... 

On 28/04/2015 at 2:24 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Install Pepper + Freshplayer. It'll give you the same flash that's available through chromium.

Shockwave Flash

File: libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
Version: 20.0.0.228
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0

That's from my Firefox about:plugins. I haven't updated it in a while though because I rarely use flash anymore. I prefer Mozplugger + MPV and VDPAU acceleration.