900MB limit? That's new to me. Anyway, last I heard, Bethesda was working with Microsoft and Sony to lift the limit. So glad I'm on PC. And consoles will never get the F4SE — Fallout 4 Script Extender. Apparently it can't be done. No ill will either way, it just can't be done. So that closes a few doors right there. No Place Everywhere mod. Script extending was a big part of the Skyrim modding community though, and should be for Fallout 4 in the next couple years as well.

Some of the modders are starting to back down and un-hide their mods on the Nexus page in light of this new security feature, whatever it means. Elianora, maker of popular house mods, known for placing static clutter literally everywhere (I like this — some don't), she has dozens in Skyrim and a few in Fallout 4 with more planned. Hoping Beantown Interiors gets un-hidden. I missed the boat on that one. Opens up a lot of the "closed" houses and buildings, so, moar loot! Anyway, I really hope this stolen mod fiasco blows over. It's only hurting the players.

Yeh, MS and Sony are probably weary of mod support as it is now, imagine how they would be if you could run code that exposes the game in ways it wasn't designed for. You never know, the creation kit may get some new additions to help emulate what Script Extender does.

Wont bother me either way :p I still haven't modded any Bethesda game. That may change if a modder makes a great lore friendly expansion to fill the void that Bethesda left. :cry:

Another YouTuber to check out, DefendTheHouse. Does "Mythbusters" type videos for a variety of games, including Fallout 4. I just learned that if you sit for a second in the church/chapel in Diamond City, you get a perk. It's called "Quiet Reflection" and it grants you +5% XP for "a limited time."

Now like I said in the comments section for the video, that kind of rustles my jimmies, because I've been putting a chapel area in the large wooden pre-fab shack for a while now. Upstairs, in the enclosed-ish area, I'll hang a painting of Todd Howard on the horse (you need a wall to make it stick right, it won't go on the prefab wall) and then some candles and a seating area. I think these should totally count as well.

PSA: Xbox One mods have the potential to completely brick your console!

...and one modder may be doing it on purpose!

Here's a video of Hey Im StarLord talking about it (over Doom for some reason, rather than Fallout 4, but he IS talking about a Fallout 4 mod). Give him the view and the like, he does great work staying on top of Fallout 4 news. He and MrMattyPlays are two of the best in that regard. Anyway, DDproductions83 (castle walls fix and other crafting mods guy) made a mod that, if you use it, will brick your console. StarLord doesn't think it's malicious. Clearly StarLord hasn't seen this video where DDproductions rants about console players. Warning, it's very offensive with language (even in the title). And the 25 minute manifesto can be summed up thusly. All console players are f-----s and so are any PC players who don't donate to him. He talks about people stealing mods and begging for donations, which is legit, but he blames all console players and all PC players who aren't paying him. He also complains about the Xbox One 2GB mod limit, saying all his mods together make up about a quarter of that. IIRC he doesn't actually talk about bricking consoles, but I think he mentions mods that can mess up saves (saying that it's happened, not that he's going to make mods that do so). In any case, it looks very bad for him, and I hope if anyone bricks their console by trying his mods, that they get together and sue him for damages. I don't know if they can, but dammit, they should. There's the whole "PC Master Race" thing and it's funny to some (not really me, I don't get it), but I don't think any of them, or 99% of them, want to actually damage someone's Xbox. And any who would, have no actual plans to do so, it's just trash talk.

At this point I wouldn't blame Bethesda if they just gave up on console modding entirely. Damaging customer hardware pushes it a bridge too far. Or at the very least they need a vetting process.

Been messing with the contraptions DLC.  Like that you can now display armor and weapons.  And finally a display stand for power armor as well.  Have not tried to build any of the machines yet.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:10 AM, dragontology said:

PSA: Xbox One mods have the potential to completely brick your console!

...and one modder may be doing it on purpose!

I missed this post, The mod is a lie btw, if mods had the ability to work outside of their boundary and modify startup files then there wouldn't be mod support in the first place. :p 

He turned off the power to the console, it was just FUD to scare console users.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Been messing with the contraptions DLC.  Like that you can now display armor and weapons.  And finally a display stand for power armor as well.  Have not tried to build any of the machines yet.

I should get to playing it soon, Marcy Long needs to try out the stocks... somewhere far from where I work and not visible. :D 

12 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I should get to playing it soon, Marcy Long needs to try out the stocks... somewhere far from where I work and not visible. :D 

Haha, saw a video where Preston was put in the stocks.  That was funny.  Have not fooled around to much with anything other than the weapon and armor displays.  Redid one of my buildings in Sanctuary and moved a few things around.   There is a ton of new stuff like a new building tier, signs, 2 - 4 story elevators, and all the machines you can build now.  Does not look like you can place the elevators inside easily, which is kind of disappointing.  Tho I have not looked in to it to much yet.

17 hours ago, techbeck said:

Love the scaffolding set. The warehouse stuff is okay, but mostly just retextured from the barn set, plus a couple additions.

I don't get why the windows are broken. Why would you "make" broken windows? Or dirty concrete, for that matter. It's silly. It's fine to find broken windows but to make them just seems daft.

16 hours ago, Louisifer said:

I missed this post, The mod is a lie btw, if mods had the ability to work outside of their boundary and modify startup files then there wouldn't be mod support in the first place. :p 

He turned off the power to the console, it was just FUD to scare console users.

Yeah, silly lack of an edit feature on this site. I found out it was a hoax later, and I hate double posting. I didn't mean to help spread FUD, of course, but DDP is kind of a menace to the community. I chatted with him on Reddit last week over this, and he was surprisingly chill, though. He's a pretty good troll. He isn't stupid, and he stirs the pot without letting the issues that arise get to him. And we know he's a talented modder. I told him to get help. He reminds me of Phil Fish, but less talented and possibly more vitriolic.

I think the pillory (stocks) is immersion breaking... Fallout is all about 1950s ideals, and while the stocks were certainly used in colonial times, they haven't been used in the US in over 100 years. I read up on them (a pillory is just the head and wrists while stocks also bind the ankles) and they were used chiefly for humiliation, and passers-by were allowed and often encouraged to throw rotten food at people so restrained. But sometimes they also threw stones or simply walked up and struck them. People were also whipped or beaten in stocks. Wikipedia didn't say one way or another, but it seems like someone stuck in a pillory would be a prime target for sexual assault.

I vaguely remember Fallout 3 having them in The Pitt (near where you meet the underground leader, whatever her name was) so they're not new to Fallout, at least I don't think so, but I won't be putting them in any of my settlements. And my character started out evil. There might be a cause for them in Nuka World since we'll be leading raiders, and they live like that, but I'd rather lock someone up or just shoot them. No, there's a better humiliation device for Marcy Long, and it was specifically made for "nagging women." I kid you not, nagging was a punishable offense way back when. So this thing — think The Man in the Iron Mask — was this sort of muzzle, but there was a piece that went in the mouth and actually held the tongue, so the wearer could not speak (or at least they could not speak well). Sometimes the tongue piece had sharp claws to it, so the tongue could be damaged if it were moved. Anyone who thinks it would be cool to live in the olden days should look at how they punished people, and the things you could do to get that done to you. The standards were quite low.

On a lighter note, how about that cut content? Namely the paintball gun!

I wouldn't be surprised if the paintball gun make an appearance in one of the last 2 DLC or it could be left in so the community can make use of it.

A while back I was thinking Curie is essentially a Granddaughter so I made some tweaks to her:

TdK2DrF.jpg

I gave her a Vault 81 Jumpsuit too so she can represent and be my decoy.  :shiftyninja:

On 6/24/2016 at 3:12 PM, Louisifer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the paintball gun make an appearance in one of the last 2 DLC or it could be left in so the community can make use of it.

A while back I was thinking Curie is essentially a Granddaughter so I made some tweaks to her:

I gave her a Vault 81 Jumpsuit too so she can represent and be my decoy.  :shiftyninja:

Why a Vault 81 suit?  Should have given her a 111 Suit to be a true decoy.  :p  There are 2 extra (new) suits in the vault.  There are also a lot of other vault suits

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_jumpsuit_(Fallout_4)

She has a tendency to make her way back to Vault 81 when not a companion so I think 81 Vault Suit helps her blend in with the people she's lived next door to for hundreds of years. :p 

3 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

She has a tendency to make her way back to Vault 81 when not a companion so I think 81 Vault Suit helps her blend in with the people she's lived next door to for hundreds of years. :p 

Really?  Mine stays put in Sanctuary.

Yeh, its a bug that companions can walk to their default location instead of walking to a settlement when dismissed, I had to teleport to her to find out where she was hiding, she was just casually being a resident and not in her lab where I assumed she would go. :p 

About companions straying... I couldn't find Longfellow (Far Harbor) for the life of me. Finally got that guy and got my last companion perk. I can't get Cait's, she's bugged. Told me she wanted to go to Vault 95. Took her there. Quest was gone and she wouldn't sit in the chair. I didn't want her perk, just wanted it done. Well, I guess it's done but I don't have the perk. Don't really need it. I think it's one of those stupid "if you're below X health you get this stupid thing you don't want" perks.

Anyway, I've had both Hancock and Deacon go home. Got their perks, or at least I think I still do. Deacon is in Railroad HQ doing his thing, and Hancock went back to Goodneighbor... He was in Sanctuary, I had to recruit him again for the Silver Shroud; if he's available to be a companion, when you "talk to Hancock as the Shroud," you have to recruit him first — sent Longfellow to Red Rocket, did the dialogue, caught Longfellow at the bridge and we went after what's-his-name's lieutenants. Went to turn in the quest (man, saving Kent was something else, you got to kill the guy in one hit or stagger him because, first thing he does upon detecting you is shooting Kent in the head) and he's walking, so I fast travel to Bunker Hill trying to get ahead of him (this worked in previous Bethesda games) but at some point he just up and teleported to Goodneighbor. Far as I know he's still there. I dismissed him in his home. He got up and followed me to the stairs but no further.

Curie's still in Sanctuary, though.

I regret saving the people of Covenant. Never. Doing. That. Again. You want one good place for all your companions to go. You could put an ounce of effort into it and use a place like Starlight, the drive-in, and make a place befitting each companion perfectly, and then assign them the bed. Like Cait's gonna have a bunch of whiskey and Psycho laying around, and Hancock's gonna have Revolutionary War stuff around, like the painting of Godd Howard on the horse (supposed to be Paul Revere, I believe). I think this could be done to great effect. But nah, I'm gonna slaughter the Covenant guys next time around, and that's gonna be where all my companions go. Not really the best for their individual needs, but I set out this little porch area between the store and that one house that's locked... to the left of the store as you look in from Covenant's entrance. Where the cage is. Anyway, it's just a few shack floors with the legged supports, a little fence, a bar area, a couple picnic tables, some chairs, a bench, and some crates and barrels to make it believable. It's hard to furnish Covenant and not make it look like crap, but to have the rag tag bunch that your companions all make up. Men, women, a dog, a ghoul, a Super Mutant, a Synth, a Mr Handy, a... whatever you make Ava out to be... you kind of have to mix it up a bit, but not too much. It's got to be a melting pot of personalities, and it's got to work for everyone. You got to believe that all those people call this place home.

Oh, and try the pillory. Put someone in. You get an achievement.

I don't think the paintball gun is meant to be a standalone gun. Here's my theory. It was just meant to be part of the turret thing. That IS in the game. It's this turret thing that, when turned on, I think it's like a trap, it spits paintballs. And because these gun traps usually have a gun in them (in Fallout 3 I think it was just combat shotguns... you see all kinds in Fallout 4), I think there's the actual paintball gun that StarLord and others have found and reported on, because it's part of the trap, and that's why it looks like a pipe rifle. That's not what a paintball gun looks like at all. I think they look like Super Soakers, with that hopper to feed the paintballs in. But Bethesda didn't design it because it was never meant to be used on its own. I'm hoping — nah, expecting — the modding community to create a skin for it, so it looks real. I'd like to see some kind of multiplayer thing, I was talking to my wife, who doesn't like Fallout (or Elder Scrolls) at all. But since she's my wife, she hears all about it. And she thinks it's okay, but she doesn't want to mess with all the "stats" and "perks," like she thinks it's Fallout 1 and it'll be super hard if she doesn't min/max the character perfectly. Anyway, I suggested this idea to her. What if it's two players, say, and each player is given a field. It's a big walled-in area. Think like an ice skating rink, but many times larger. And you can only see your half. You're in workshop mode but on a timer. And instead of green light for a border, it's a black wall. You can't see outside it. You get half of this large building. You got some terrain but not much, or it's variable. Beach/water biome, mountainous biome, or flat plains, maybe a city, stuff like that. So you get this big area... maybe not as big as the island settlement, but bigger than most of the others. And you get a timer. Say, 30 minutes. And so many resources. And maybe you can find more if you look, or scrap some stuff, I don't know. And you build structures. You set traps. You can set up turrets, but they only spit paint. When the timer's up, you're kicked out of workshop mode and transported to a set position at the far back of your settlement. And then you hunt one another. No SPECIAL stats, no perks, just you and your paintball gun. One guy has red paint, the other guy has blue paint. And maybe there could be objectives, things in the enemy camp to deface with paint, and nothing can be built in front of it (so you can't, say, just stick a wall in front of it). And the building would be super simplified. No decorations, only one kind of wall (to fit the biome), floor, ceiling, stairs etc., so you can just slam buildings up in seconds... tons more prefabs, you get to know them and just drop 'em out and focus on the traps... And maybe the Creation Engine isn't up to all of that.  But it sure would be fun.

Dammit Sony. If I were to get a console, I'd get a PlayStation 4. I think it's the better of the two consoles. I think it looks better. I do think Xbox has the better controller. Never liked Sony's controllers. I think Sony has the better interface, and I think they have better hardware support (e.g. external hard drives). And in my opinion they have better exclusives. But they've always had issues with Bethesda. Skyrim and the PS3 had DLC issues. They got it sorted, but it took a while. My PC is pretty beast and I don't have to go to consoles, but I'm thinking when my video card is no longer good enough, I might just get a Mac and a PS5/6 then. Building computers was fun, but I'm not that much of a gamer anymore. I pretty much just play the Bethesda games, the TellTale games, and a few indie titles. A PlayStation would be good enough. So would an Xbox, but generally I think Sony gaming is better. Again, just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrapping a barn (warehouse?) around the diner part of the Starlight Drive-in? Nice! Those little diner modules make for great bars/restaurants, don't they? There's also one at Egret Tours Marina. norespawns has a few videos on using boxcars, buses, and maybe one other similar structure to make a great bar/restaurant you might look into. The actual structure is the sleeping quarters/storeroom of the proprietor. He builds the seating area on top with scaffolding (improvised, before we actually got it). Good stuff.

So I learned today that there actually exists a key for Kellogg's house. Directly below it are some stadium seats you can activate to search. Mama Murphy tells you about them if you go see her while the quest "Getting a Clue" is active. And in case you didn't know, during the following quest, "Reunions," she will give you a perk that makes Kellogg do 25% less damage. I found out because instead of giving me the perk, she told me about the key. Never had that happen before. So next time you do the main quest, you don't have to buy the key from the mayor's secretary, or steal it, or get a master level in pickpocketing. Just hop down and grab it from the seats below. Bada bing, bada boom.

Not much else outta me. I've been AFK for the first 2 weeks of the month, in CA visiting family and friends. I did start a new game when I got back. Did all the endings before the trip for the achievements. Yeah, I still don't have all of them. So I got this new mod... "Traits and More Perks," from the modder who brought us... the one that gives you the full dialogue text. That's like, a must-have mod. It has new perks and they can be crafted for what the mod author says are very high requirements. I haven't looked into them. The traits are free and can be chosen from a terminal just inside Vault 111. (I don't think it's there until you go to leave, when it's right by the elevator up.) Traits, like in New Vegas, give you an advantage and a disadvantage. I took three (you can take as many or as few as you like). Four Eyes is like in New Vegas. All glasses give you +1 PER, but not having glasses gets you -1 PER. Easy to get glasses, but you can't wear masks with glasses, so that limits you a bit. Good Natured means speech checks, vendor prices, and intimidation checks are easier, but you do less damage. And Memento Mori is the real game changer. Double XP across the board, but you take double damage and healing is half as effective. So I get my —— kicked a lot, but I'm level 25 and I just iced Kellogg. I also have Gift of Gab from romancing Piper, so I get about 100XP for each location I discover. But I just found an explosive shotgun on a legendary synth in Fort Hagen, and I have the Overseer's Guardian, and I'm dumping perk points into Rifleman, Demolitions Expert, and Gun Nut. Also focusing on defense, so Toughness and Armorer.

Got a new plan for settlements. I'm only going after Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Covenant for the most part. I may also link a couple farms. Red Rocket is mine. Sanctuary for Minutemen and special NPCs, like Tina De Luca, the Vault-Tec Rep, the Nuka Cola guy Sheffield, and others like them. Covenant is for the companions. No settlement beacons. Sick of random settlers. In the endgame, I'll get them, and I have "Don't Call Me Settler," a mod to give them names, but in the meantime, I'm keeping it small. I actually made a really cool house for the Minutemen protectees... Preston got sent to Covenant with the other companions. Mama Murphy and Sturges have rooms downstairs, and I'm really proud of Sturges'. Mama Murphy's is a WIP. The Longs have the whole upstairs except the bathroom. Nice place. Fully lit, decorated, and furnished. Oh, and because reasons, on Jun Long's side of the bed, there's a straw pillow... gotta get that subtle storytelling in! Oh, and because other reasons, Tina De Luca is shacked up with Sturges. I just mashed two single beds together. Assigned him to one and her to the other. Since they're both the fixer-upper type, figured they'd make a nice couple. Same thing I did for the Longs' room, except they get the big beds. Two, I guess full beds next to one another.

Gonna set up a townhomes/shopping mall in Sanctuary... Gonna try to repurpose all the broken home lots. The "Casa de Sanctuary" as I called it is in the home past the one with the workshop... the shopping center will probably be on the other side, closer to the bridge, by the home with the cooking station in front. And what it's going to be is, this sort of open area you can walk into with storefronts, but walled off. You can't get back there. It's a walled in little courtyard with vending machines and seating. The shopkeepers will have an entrance around back which will lead to sectioned off areas where they can set up shop, and also live, with all their living stuff upstairs. That's where the Vault-Tec Rep, Trader Rylee or whatever her name is, and I think Anna Hargraves is the other trader, will live. I'll probably have to draw that out and plan it. Shouldn't be too hard. A shared bathroom in the middle (which is just for posterity, nobody uses them) and then the rest of the upstairs will be divided into three apartments. All they need on the ground level is their shop and stairs, and some boxes and crates to make it look good.

Everyone I've seen protecting Sanctuary is making one big wall around the perimeter. Why not put walls around the individual buildings you're using, where people are living, then use walls to connect them on the outside edges? So there can be some areas outside the walls that are still part of the Sanctuary land. Might even move the farming out there, even. But people live and traders work inside the perimeter. But if you look at what norespawns has done on his main save, he's only using a small part of Sanctuary. Nate/Nora's house. The one across from it with the workshop. And the two behind them (farther from the bridge). He's got a wall around that and the cul-de-sac behind it, and the, however many houses between it and the bridge, are just left open and largely unprotected. That's kind of my idea, except I'm going to use all the empty lots (where the broken down, scrappable houses were) and protect them, Nate/Nora's house, and maybe one other... like the one right up in front. The rest will be walled off and abandoned, though my walls will be set up to where if I want to bring in settlers, I can knock down part of the wall, and encircle a house in the walls.

Lastly: While the game considers the usable Sanctuary houses to be protected from the elements (to satisfy the need of having sheltered beds), using the Place Everywhere mod (and F4SE), we've been able to use metal walls (they look more appropriate) to patch up the houses' walls, but now we can also use the warehouse roofs to patch the roofs. Not the internal, flat ceilings (there are hacks for that, egregious uses of the rug glitch, but I can't be bothered), but the slanted roofs on top. The game won't even let you do it with Place Everywhere... I have to have them floating, then use the console command 'modpos z -25' to shove them down 25 units. They will sometimes snap to each other, sometimes not. But when it's all said and done, it looks great on the inside. It's a lot of work to make them look good, but I've given up on Spring Cleaning, the mod that lets you remove most of the clutter. Anything I really need to remove, I quick save, then use the 'disable' console command to do the same thing.

On 6/30/2016 at 10:49 AM, soniqstylz said:

Not stressed.  Don't plan to play FO4 until all the DLC is out.  Might even start over then.

I am only about 12 hours in and, my gawd, there seems like so much to do.

But it is the kind of game that, if you become sick of it, you can just give it a rest for awhile and then pick it back up where you left off.

that is the sensible thing to do. . . I am not sensible.

Man, I just said I wouldn't use norespawns' roof glitch... and he goes and makes a video showing how easy it is again and some more cool applications to do with it. 25 minutes but so worth it... his videos used to be a lot shorter, 5-8 minutes on average, but he got them longer and longer. He could probably stand to do some editing, get them down under 10 minutes, because he talks a lot and we see a lot of trial and error, but I think it helps, and he says it does as well, to see this process. Still, I think he'd get more viewers if he edited them down.

How many of you actually use windmills? I'm guessing very few. They're big, they're not that good looking, and they don't generate enough power for how big and unwieldy they are. But, if you stick one on top of each Sanctuary or Sanctuary-style house (this video is at Greentop, and you know they have one), they actually look really cool, in a kind of... Final Fantasy 7 slums, or Fallout 3 Megaton style. Which is really what Bethesda was going for anyway. Unlike norespawns, I'd reserve the barn and maybe even warehouse pieces (especially the walls) for the more eastern settlements, leaving the western ones more urban and sturdy, but that's just me. Like if you're out at the Coastal Cottage, or Nordhagen Beach, or Spectacle Island, those buildings would look great. But not in Sanctuary. Stick to the wood, metal, and concrete. Kthxbai. But that's just my design language... each builder is going to have their rules, or maybe none at all. And norespawns certainly has his rules. Number one being to mix and match pieces so no two are next to each other, and a close second being that nothing should look professionally done... everything should be haphazardly thrown together and sloppy, yet functional. Like a bunch of nobodies scattered around the Commonwealth built it, not the more focused soldier or lawyer Sole Survivor.

11 hours ago, dragontology said:

Wrapping a barn (warehouse?) around the diner part of the Starlight Drive-in? Nice! Those little diner modules make for great bars/restaurants, don't they? There's also one at Egret Tours Marina.

Yea, used warehouse material.  I had the idea all of a sudden.  I have 2 bars inside and a clinic.  May move the clinic and put another bar in there, but I am looking for a spot for the new clinic.  I pillar glitched the stores inside as well as the whole building around.  I couldn't get the whole floor glitched with the wood floors, but I think it looks really good with the wood/original concrete mixed in.  And the building fit perfectly. No gaps on the backside at all and everything is level.

Other side of the drive in, I have a 4 story building with an elevator inside.  Bottom floor is the armory/workshop, 2nd-3rd floors house about 18 suits of power armor, and 4th floor is my penthouse.  Nice NPCs cannot use elevators so no one gets up top.

My main settlement is Sanctuary with the Caste next and Drive in 3rd.  The blog I build in to my arena.  I took the main building in The Blog and made that my hangout room with a bar/pool table.  Left side is a hangout/dance area and the right side I glitched/blocked off one of the door ways and glitched a door in the other door way.  Turned it in to a workshop.

Reduced my farms in each settlement to be a little above the population count.  I have 130 food in some settlements.  Still plan on turning Spectacle Island in to a big farm (have 14 bots farming it now) but have not worked on that in a while.  I also have about 7 free roaming deathclaws on the island.  I got about 12 water purifiers as well.  I am going to eventually build this out, create a bunch more farm bots.

Sanctuary holds all my companions except for Strong. His annoying ass I sent to Red Rocket. The lvl 4 merchants are bugged as hell so doubt I will get them all.  Last one I found was Ron so I only have like 3 of them.  I turned the main house in Sanctuary into a library with all the magazines in game.  I put glitched a door a door to the back part and on the left side is an office, right is Mamas room.  I made he the librarian and she stays in back.  Ron and Hancock are bartenders with Curie as my Dr.  Rest work the fields, for now.  Build a new armory, big building, and all my best weapons and armor are on display.  Have like a mall/bar/clinic in the circular road area.  Put scaffolding on the main building roof and built that in to another bar.

Drive in is just a place that was big enough to house all my power armors.  Tho the PA displays reduced the size I needed so I am toying with the Drive in some more.

Castle...I repaired all the walls and used scaffolding to build on top of the rubble in the inside wall.  Build walls around the radio control booth.  Left the back pretty much open with the hole in the wall and attached a greenhouse around the opening.

More stuff I did to these areas...just to much to go in to.  I had like 30 suits of powerarmor at the drive in but moved a few to the Castle and Far Harbor settlements.  I have 3 suits laying around that I need to find a place form.  Really like the T-51 power armor since they recently go 4 new paint jobs with the DLCs.

I don't have any areas completely walled in.  I just don't like the look.  Attack points are defended by turrets tho and Caste/Sanctuary hardly ever get attacked as a well as the Drive in.  Most places that get attacked are in the south.

Never used a windmill.  Thinking of using a couple in the drive in tho to power my tower with the powerarmor/pent house tho.

PITA getting glass for the new warehouse material tho.  Not many merchants sell shipments and the brewery has like 200 or so from scrapping bottles, does not respawn fast enough.  I get all my money, about 500k caps right now, from bottled water when I can, I hit up merchants and buy/scrap junk that gives me glass.

14 hours ago, dragontology said:

How many of you actually use windmills? I'm guessing very few. They're big, they're not that good looking, and they don't generate enough power for how big and unwieldy they are. 

I use them always until I can get the fusion reactors, simply because of sound.  Generators are too ######## loud.  I'll use those to power water purification, but not for housing power.

techbeck, you type all that on your phone? I can see the ugly head of autocorrect. Blog for Slog, Caste for Castle... once it's a typo, two or three times, it's ducking autocorrect.

I was wondering how you got so many shops in there. Last time I did, I got one in there, but no glitch. One fits good, but I can see how with the pillar or rug glitch, you can get more than one. I know I want Red Rocket in my little northwestern network, just not sure how. Maybe a shopping center. Like one of those big walk-in bazaars, with the diner area as sort of the outside restaurant/place where you get your ticket to go in or whatever, the business office. Have a few empty tables at the end where people could set up shop and such. They never would but that's the story. Sort of a wasteland flea market. Might have to throw some beer bottles down around a chair. You got to tell a story when you place items. I think that's the difference between a good settlement and a bad one. And don't get me wrong — I'm still making bad ones.

Rooftop thing in Sanctuary was pretty much a success. Went to the empty lot just south of the workshop house. One floor, one wall, and a ceiling 4 wide and 3 deep of the shack upper floors. Tall square scaffolding all on the top. Scrapped the floor, placed a rug, select-all moved the wall onto the rug, and shoved the wall into the back corner in the kitchen of the workshop house. The house's chimney or whatever it is (it's not a chimney) went up too high. Shoulda put the scaffolding floors in, but I didn't, so I took out the two and stuck the windmill there. Looks great. Shame it only puts out 3 power. I thought it was at least 6. Three is pretty damn sorry, but it looks good. Got a fusion generator on either side of the windmill. The story (in-game) is that the windmill was enough at first, but then they needed more. Not sure how they got from that to the fusion generator. The game doesn't balance very well.

3 hours ago, dragontology said:

techbeck, you type all that on your phone? I can see the ugly head of autocorrect. Blog for Slog, Caste for Castle... once it's a typo, two or three times, it's ducking autocorrect.

I was wondering how you got so many shops in there. Last time I did, I got one in there, but no glitch. One fits good, but I can see how with the pillar or rug glitch, you can get more than one. I know I want Red Rocket in my little northwestern network, just not sure how. Maybe a shopping center. Like one of those big walk-in bazaars, with the diner area as sort of the outside restaurant/place where you get your ticket to go in or whatever, the business office. Have a few empty tables at the end where people could set up shop and such. They never would but that's the story. Sort of a wasteland flea market. Might have to throw some beer bottles down around a chair. You got to tell a story when you place items. I think that's the difference between a good settlement and a bad one. And don't get me wrong — I'm still making bad ones.

Pillar glitch works better in putting shops at the Drive In.  I got one on the end, one on the left side, and one one the right.  The top of the shop actually glitches into the original counter.   Also depends on what level store you use.  Level 3 does not glitch well but 1 and 2 glitch great.

In Sanctuary I have 43 settlers and was running out of areas to put beds.  So I just glitched a building in the car ports of each house there and put like 4-5 beds each in there.  Plus all the houses have their own beds with my place having one.

Had not touched Red Rocket much at all.  Built a few walls and beds and such like I did for the rest of the 30 some settlements.  But only a few I actually put time in.  Need to go back to the Lumbar Yard in FH and work on that some more.  Only settlement other than Long Fellows I have worked on.  Almost all the building in the Lumber Yard repaired as well.  Just one small area I am having issues with on the top right front.  Other than that, you wouldnt really know it was damaged.  I really kinda wanted to make Hangmans Ally in to shopping/bazaar area.  But that will require some thinking and planning.  May have to get some ideas from others online.  A lot of my settlements, the beacon is turned off as well.  There are a few that get a good number of settlers all the time, so I tend to keep those on and move settlers where I need them.  But to much to keep up with having them all on.

A good settlement is one that you like and pleases you . I see all this cool crap that people make on YouTube and wish I was create that way to come up with things like that.  And sometimes I do.  But not to the extent as many others.