[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I'm a bit confused... First they said the TP was available right after the conference, then they seemed to say it was coming tomorrow.

So when is it coming and is everyone able to download it?

I'm a bit confused... First they said the TP was available right after the conference, then they seemed to say it was coming tomorrow.

Tomorrow according to the front page:

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-preview-download-goes-live-tomorrow

the "after the conference" was referring to they have machines loaded up with TP for attendees to mess with

every one else has to wait till tomorrow

anyone notice tablets will have the same UI as windows phone in portrait view at least?

That's not a surprise, they said a number of times that specific devices will have "tailored UIs" that fit them best.  Phone and Tablets sharing the same UI sounds like the best option, and we already know it's the same OS under the UI.    Also could hint that WP will finally have a start screen that works in landscape mode!

It really feels like they tried the Windows 8 hybrid approach way too early. This release is what they should have done early on, but with the structuring of Microsoft then it wouldn't be possible. This new Windows 10 platform, hopefully will be something big for Microsoft, something that can stick around for a while and only need small "updates" like the OS X approach. Now lets see if they can really polish off the UI by removing all the 9x relics 

It really feels like they tried the Windows 8 hybrid approach way too early. This release is what they should have done early on, but with the structuring of Microsoft then it wouldn't be possible. This new Windows 10 platform, hopefully will be something big for Microsoft, something that can stick around for a while and only need small "updates" like the OS X approach. Now lets see if they can really polish off the UI by removing all the 9x relics 

And even then, there is STILL an insistence on sticking to the old one-way-of-interacting - even when it doesn't fit either hardware OR users anymore.  (I'm NOT referring to Neowinians alone, either - look at the posts on, or by, other tech sites such as Gizmodo or even TheVerge.)  I have to wonder if these are the same folks that forced that overlong overhang of XP in enterprises (with that DO NOT ADVANCE mantra).

I don't think this was said but looking at the shots of the build they showed today, I don't see the notification center icon that was in older leaked shots/videos.   I'm guessing this build we're getting won't have it?

I don't think this was said but looking at the shots of the build they showed today, I don't see the notification center icon that was in older leaked shots/videos.   I'm guessing this build we're getting won't have it?

Correct, notification center isn't in the preview.

I just don't know if I want the Taskbar popping up more on my Surface Pro 3. Neither do I want it on my Surface (first gen). Seems disjointed and out of place to have all apps a pane to the left.

All I know is first thing tomorrow I'm joining the 'Insider' program. From my experience Windows tech previews are just as stable as final release, and they are free :D

Its going to get installed on all my machines with a clean format without any hesitation.

Any idea if the taskbar will be any different in portrait mode?

I have a VivoTab Note 8, and as it is, in portrait mode I have only enough space to squeeze four icons on the taskbar before I have to scroll. Now that there are additional icons next to the Start button, does this mean I can only have one icon on my taskbar? :/

I would like to try W10 on my tablet but I've no idea how to restore W8.1 on it if anything goes wrong.

All I know is first thing tomorrow I'm joining the 'Insider' program. From my experience Windows tech previews are just as stable as final release, and they are free :D

Its going to get installed on all my machines with a clean format without any hesitation.

While it may be stable, it is definitely not going to be feature complete.

oh come on....ctrl+v in cmd is a  "feature"?

It is if you don't know about it - I've been using it since Windows 7 (which was the first version to support pasting into the command-prompt box); yes, Windows 8 supports it as well (I used it earlier today to install the "Chocolatey" add-ins for PowerShell).

PowerShell itself is horribly UNDERdocumented on the desktop side of Windows, despite that it was developed as a universal scripting language for both desktops and servers.

Stardock is going to have to bite the bullet on Start8 and ModernMix

Which is a dirty rotten shame - especially since it's through no fault of their own.

It's not like Stardock - or any of the OTHER third parties - is getting a plethora of complaints for filling the holes that the critics complained that Microsoft left in Windows 8.x - yet they are the ones getting thrown under the bus.  Worse, those same critics are literally DEMANDING that Microsoft throw them under the bus.

If anything, I want to throw the CRITICS under the bus - not Stardock or any of the other victims - for such churlishness.

While it may be stable, it is definitely not going to be feature complete.

Which is fine. The previews are fully backward compatible and everything works, you get to enjoy some new features, its faster, it just lacks final UI and newer things they'll unveil in the consumer preview.

I read on Zdnet that its only going to be x86 which I hope is wrong. And honestly I want Windows to do away with a lot of cruft built up over the years and make a fresh start.

Which is fine. The previews are fully backward compatible and everything works, you get to enjoy some new features, its faster, it just lacks final UI and newer things they'll unveil in the consumer preview.

I read on Zdnet that its only going to be x86 which I hope is wrong. And honestly I want Windows to do away with a lot of cruft built up over the years and make a fresh start.

ZDnet said no such thing - and neither has Microsoft.  Both x32 and x64 flavors of the Technical Preview will be available; what is surprising is that the x64 version is smaller than the x32 version.

ZDnet said no such thing - and neither has Microsoft.  Both x32 and x64 flavors of the Technical Preview will be available; what is surprising is that the x64 version is smaller than the x32 version.

I read it wrong. What they said was

"The Enterprise Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 machines only." which in my hurry I interpreted wrong.

anyone notice tablets will have the same UI as windows phone in portrait view at least?

Looks more like a new UI even for phones (notice the space around tiles). If it brings a good things from both, then why not! I am liking the idea of all apps column on the full screen "start menu" (don't call it a start screen :p)

I just don't know if I want the Taskbar popping up more on my Surface Pro 3. Neither do I want it on my Surface (first gen). Seems disjointed and out of place to have all apps a pane to the left.

I wonder if its just a toggle in options like it is in 8.x 

Clearly never used Windows Vista alphas. They were so stable that some times the UI never moved. :p