[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Sorry for being so skeptical but I hope this doesn't mean that my Windows Phone 8.1 device is "old" and won't be supported anymore. (Like what happened with Windows Phone 7). 

Sorry for being so skeptical but I hope this doesn't mean that my Windows Phone 8.1 device is "old" and won't be supported anymore. (Like what happened with Windows Phone 7). 

That occurred due to a kernel change Windows CE >> Windows NT, not just a version bump.

I think most WP8.0 devices will upgrade just fine, the ones that might not could be the very low end ones and the ones the carriers just don't want to support at all anymore.   So it could be more of your carrier saying no and getting in the way than any real technical or hardware issue.   Still I think a number of lower end 512MB phones could not make the cut this time.

It is if you don't know about it - I've been using it since Windows 7 (which was the first version to support pasting into the command-prompt box); yes, Windows 8 supports it as well (I used it earlier today to install the "Chocolatey" add-ins for PowerShell).

PowerShell itself is horribly UNDERdocumented on the desktop side of Windows, despite that it was developed as a universal scripting language for both desktops and servers.

Then you're using a special version of the shell. on windows 7, 8 and 8.1 both cmd and powershell(they use the same actuall GUI so) CTRL+V won't work in them they'll just give  ^v  you have to right click with mouse. 

Which is a dirty rotten shame - especially since it's through no fault of their own.

It's not like Stardock - or any of the OTHER third parties - is getting a plethora of complaints for filling the holes that the critics complained that Microsoft left in Windows 8.x - yet they are the ones getting thrown under the bus.  Worse, those same critics are literally DEMANDING that Microsoft throw them under the bus.

If anything, I want to throw the CRITICS under the bus - not Stardock or any of the other victims - for such churlishness.

Victims ? seriously, Stardock ? they knew this was coming and already made money off of it. They're anything but victims. 

Can't believe it's taken till 2014 to have ctrl v as a feature in command prompt   :p

That's why JoeB showed it off, to tell people how far they're looking at things and how they're going to be making things better when it comes to specific users and devices.   This also shows that the odds of them finally changing the icons, the majority of them at least, is looking good.

I think most WP8.0 devices will upgrade just fine, the ones that might not could be the very low end ones and the ones the carriers just don't want to support at all anymore.   So it could be more of your carrier saying no and getting in the way than any real technical or hardware issue.   Still I think a number of lower end 512MB phones could not make the cut this time.

They already made the jump to the new kernel so it shouldn't be a problem, the shell itself shouldn't require more resources anyway. after all the shell was downgraded in a lot of functions with 8.1 where a lot of stuff was taken out into separate apps. it would rather be stricter limits on the universal apps I would assume. 

Victims ? seriously, Stardock ? they knew this was coming and already made money off of it. They're anything but victims. 

and they will still make money with windows 10. stardock told me that there is always room for improvement in every version of windows and thats where they come in.

Can't believe it's taken till 2014 to have ctrl v as a feature in command prompt   :p

Well it is a conference for the kind of users who actually use powershell a lot. 

Then you're using a special version of the shell. on windows 7, 8 and 8.1 both cmd and powershell(they use the same actuall GUI so) CTRL+V won't work in them they'll just give  ^v  you have to right click with mouse. 

He's not using a special version of anything, he's talking about Powershell instead of Command Prompt.

That's why JoeB showed it off, to tell people how far they're looking at things and how they're going to be making things better when it comes to specific users and devices.   This also shows that the odds of them finally changing the icons, the majority of them at least, is looking good.

Yea a lack of copy/paste is via the keyboard is one thing that I'm surprised has gone on for so long, such a basic thing to miss, been using a replacement "host" for PS & Cmd for the longest time.  (Ranks up there with drag-and-drop menu editing on most Linux desktops.. another omission that irks me.)  Going to really like 10 I think, a third party console host is yet another program I won't be needing anymore.. that list of third party stuff I install to extend the desktop is dwindling quickly.   

Can't wait for the preview too so I can rip the icons out for my 7 and 8 desktops.  

He's not using a special version of anything, he's talking about Powershell instead of Command Prompt.

And you didn't read my post. Ctrl v doesn't work in powershell either, I know since I tried both before I posted that.

I think first generation WP8.0 devices such as my 920 or your 8X are already EOLed with Denim. I doubt we will get Windows 10 Phone.

and they will still make money with windows 10. stardock told me that there is always room for improvement in every version of windows and thats where they come in.

They have plenty of scope

-Revert to W7 style snap

-Replace start "menu" with start "screen"

-Add back charms and old style switcher

etc. :D

No - I referred specifically to the command prompt (where I did all my pasting).  While there IS a separate command prompt option for WPS, you don't have to use it, even for WPS scripts.

No - I referred specifically to the command prompt (where I did all my pasting).  While there IS a separate command prompt option for WPS, you don't have to use it, even for WPS scripts.

And I did NOT use Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V (keyboard-style copy-and-paste), but mouse-style copy-by-highlight-and-paste - since I was copying from a web page.

I think first generation WP8.0 devices such as my 920 or your 8X are already EOLed with Denim. I doubt we will get Windows 10 Phone.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, not that 8.1.1 and later 8.1.2 aren't enough really.   In a few weeks my 8X will be 2 years old, and I'm thinking about getting a new phone next year in the end.  I think most people treat phones this way, get a new one every 2 to 3 years.  

And I did NOT use Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V (keyboard-style copy-and-paste), but mouse-style copy-by-highlight-and-paste - since I was copying from a web page.

Then why did you claim ctrl v worked and has worked since 7.  they weren't talking about mouse pasting, that's always worked.

They have plenty of scope

-Revert to W7 style snap

-Replace start "menu" with start "screen"

-Add back charms and old style switcher

etc. :D

Because why not just go back to win 9x style right and who knows maybe on Win20 we'll get finally that Win 1.0 UI we are so looking foward to. :P