[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

The OneDrive Sync Engine only download metadata of the files to make the structure used in the cloud, you can select if you want to download the file for real by selecting "Make available offline" on the context menu.

Oh thank you for the info!

Its been shown in leaked builds that search icon will be used for cortana when added back into the build. heck you might even be able to enable it your self if you know the registry keys.

Yep, in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ConnectedSearch, I think there is a DWORD called Cortana, Non-Cortana, and StartMode, but I can't test it because they removed modifying permissions to the registry folder, and I am too tired right now to mess with permissions. The package for the search app is Microsoft.Cortana_1.2.0.0 (located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\)

But yeah, they have locked it down pretty well. They don't want Cortana leaking.

EDIT: I figured it out, but it gives an error, and won't open the search app anymore.

Since people were posting links to the ISO I have a little silly question: is there a standard product key for Technical Preview or it's possible to install OS without it/provide later?

If it asks,

NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

Can't wait for them to push out a new build with some more new stuff to play with.   Cortana is something I don't expect to see till early next year though,  in that rumored January or February preview that's been talked about.   Heck I still don't have Cortana on my phone, they'll need to push it out to more countries soon, even if it's alpha and only works for them in English.

Can't wait for them to push out a new build with some more new stuff to play with.   Cortana is something I don't expect to see till early next year though,  in that rumored January or February preview that's been talked about.   Heck I still don't have Cortana on my phone, they'll need to push it out to more countries soon, even if it's alpha and only works for them in English.

Wouldn't it be cool if, by just installing all the updates they will release you end up with the consumer preview by jan/feb 2015

This is wishful thinking, but it would be cool, no?

Wouldn't it be cool if, by just installing all the updates they will release you end up with the consumer preview by jan/feb 2015

This is wishful thinking, but it would be cool, no?

That could be how it's done, but mean the specific entry in PC Settings that says "recent builds" sounds like it'll check for a newer build and if it finds it then it'll d/l the files and then you'll just run through a upgrade.   I doubt they'll make us download a whole new ISO for the consumer preview and then have to reinstall from scratch now that they have this new feature in there.    Guess we'll know more once they finally do push out a new build to us, hopefully sooner rather then later.

I don't get why Cortana and bing search needs separated button/panel - this could and should be included in Start menu; and I don't like the fact that search button along with virtual desktop one are non re/movable. Also, they should change icon for virtual desktops because it visually doesn't explain itself.

Of course it's technical preview and I really hope that this will change in RTM.

As for product key - it didn't asked me.

edit: I was also unable to install TP on USB pendrive which was possible in both preview builds of 8 and 8.1 - disk part was able to detect it and partition, also I could see it as removable C drive in additional driver selection tree window but not in installer - pity. Hope that VirtualBox team will release update because TP was barely useful without additions.

One minor thing really annoying me. I can no longer use the tweak that opens File Explorer in "My Computer". The "Target" setting in properties is greyed out and can't be changed. Seriously Microsoft, why on earth can't we just open straight to my computer from a taskbar icon.  :crazy:

How are people getting the Twitter trending topics showing up in their search boxes? 

sMrDoRs.jpg

I just get a white search box with the recent searches and the gear in mine. Do I need to enable anything?

Yep, in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ConnectedSearch, I think there is a DWORD called Cortana, Non-Cortana, and StartMode, but I can't test it because they removed modifying permissions to the registry folder, and I am too tired right now to mess with permissions. The package for the search app is Microsoft.Cortana_1.2.0.0 (located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\)

But yeah, they have locked it down pretty well. They don't want Cortana leaking.

EDIT: I figured it out, but it gives an error, and won't open the search app anymore.

The search window is Cortana:

Screenshot+%248%24.png

Precisely!

It's why I hated the original Start menu - it borrowed TOO much from File Manager (and the trunk/branch/twig structure that started with MS-DOS).

Worse, a nested structure (the common one used by File Manger/Explorer and the Start menu) is FAR from visually searchable - why have object-oriented filesystems been talked about (and talked about- and talked about) prior to Windows 9x, if not Windows itself?  If you have to use really descriptive file names, you wind up with font DPIs so small, they might as well be Braille - because they will hardly be legible at common screen resolutions (like 1680x1050, let alone 1920x1080 or taller).  And Ghu help if you wind up with subgroupings in your Start menu - which was quite commonplace in enterprises merely with Windows NT 3.x, let alone NT 4/2000/XP/7.  At merely 1280x1024, dealing with the Start menu gets unwieldy - now compound that with a "god-eye" view at 1680x1050, let alone 1920x1080 or anything taller than that.  (I didn't settle on 1920x1080 as a desktop resolution JUST because it was my display ceiling - I settled on 1920x1080 because anything taller and the default font DPI got to be too small as to be illegible.  1920x1080 may be great for gaming - but anything taller blows as a DESKTOP resolution - and especially one with a text-oriented search metric (which is exactly what you have with the Start menu).

If you hated it, that's fine.

I would say a nested start menu very visually searchable, due to the fact that your eyes hardly have to move, and can take in more of the surrounding info, rather than jumping from tile to tile.

You do not know what object-oriented means.

Who has to use really descriptive file names for start menu shortcuts?

The length of a file name does not change the font DPI

Blah blahblah, something about screen resolution, DPI scaling and the strange use of the word 'taller'! Sounds like you need to figure this out and possibly get a better screen and/or glasses/contacts

You can't claim a resolution to be bad, without mentioning a given screen size.

I'd say 1920x1080 is not great for gaming, or for desktop use at 27" and above.

Seriously, stop calling it taller :/

Some other noticed things

- Networks popup appears in touch version on desktop

- Language selection popup styled entirely different from other desktop popups

- Touch keyboard doesn't have language switching button. Only menu that is completely unusable.

- Unrecognized USB device icon looks like from Windows 3.11

- RD Server still provides around 3-5 fps. just a slideshow.

Some other noticed things

- Networks popup appears in touch version on desktop

- Language selection popup styled entirely different from other desktop popups

- Touch keyboard doesn't have language switching button. Only menu that is completely unusable.

- Unrecognized USB device icon looks like from Windows 3.11

- RD Server still provides around 3-5 fps. just a slideshow.

The language selection popup follows the one in W8.x. I don't see why it's a problem. The same with the shutdown options.

If you mean the 'Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel', it's the lower-right button:

touchkb.png?psid=1

And I can use w/o problems (only the handwriting because it needs the lp for the language).

The search window is Cortana:

Screenshot+%248%24.png

your images are not working

but yeah, the cortana features are not implemented in the UI (searchUI.exe) yet, although the cortana libraries are there.

Installed the preview in a Virtualbox VM last night. Didn't play too much, as I've been fighting a migraine for 2 days.

One interesting item I noticed in the install - it gave me the option to import my settings from another machine. I tried it out and chose my primary system - the tower which was the host for the VM.

And what immediately appeared on the first boot? The Screen! With the same layout as on the host, minus the desktop programs of course. This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see in the final release! Retention of existing preferences, rather than the clusterf*ck we got in 8.1u1.

I switched to the Menu briefly to check it out, and may do so  again later when I have more time and energy to play. But I made it clear in the feedback app that I was very pleased at still having the choice of the Screen on my "desktop" machine.

One minor thing really annoying me. I can no longer use the tweak that opens File Explorer in "My Computer". The "Target" setting in properties is greyed out and can't be changed. Seriously Microsoft, why on earth can't we just open straight to my computer from a taskbar icon.  :crazy:

You could add Quick Launch to taskbar using this guide http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5069-quick-launch-add-taskbar-windows-8-a.html and then just add the my computer shortcut or any else you want to the taskbar, it's even possible to add the recycle bin.

Try pinning to start first and drag the tile to the taskbar. That way you can pin any folder you want. ;)

The only thing is that the window stay with the pinned item, not the File Explorer one.

Precisely!

It's why I hated the original Start menu - it borrowed TOO much from File Manager (and the trunk/branch/twig structure that started with MS-DOS).

Worse, a nested structure (the common one used by File Manger/Explorer and the Start menu) is FAR from visually searchable - why have object-oriented filesystems been talked about (and talked about- and talked about) prior to Windows 9x, if not Windows itself?  If you have to use really descriptive file names, you wind up with font DPIs so small, they might as well be Braille - because they will hardly be legible at common screen resolutions (like 1680x1050, let alone 1920x1080 or taller).  And Ghu help if you wind up with subgroupings in your Start menu - which was quite commonplace in enterprises merely with Windows NT 3.x, let alone NT 4/2000/XP/7.  At merely 1280x1024, dealing with the Start menu gets unwieldy - now compound that with a "god-eye" view at 1680x1050, let alone 1920x1080 or anything taller than that.  (I didn't settle on 1920x1080 as a desktop resolution JUST because it was my display ceiling - I settled on 1920x1080 because anything taller and the default font DPI got to be too small as to be illegible.  1920x1080 may be great for gaming - but anything taller blows as a DESKTOP resolution - and especially one with a text-oriented search metric (which is exactly what you have with the Start menu).

Comparing the start menu and the all apps screen minus search ... I much much much much prefer a folder structure than the Retina diarrhea cluster ###### that is the all apps screen.

That could be how it's done, but mean the specific entry in PC Settings that says "recent builds" sounds like it'll check for a newer build and if it finds it then it'll d/l the files and then you'll just run through a upgrade.   I doubt they'll make us download a whole new ISO for the consumer preview and then have to reinstall from scratch now that they have this new feature in there.    Guess we'll know more once they finally do push out a new build to us, hopefully sooner rather then later.

I just hope that each new build is not going to require us to download a 4GB file

I only have a 1Mb/s connections, that's 8h every time I want to download one of those ISO files

When installing, I noticed the installer is still styled like it's a Vista/7-era app. Will Microsoft update the installer to at least look like it came from the Win8 era?

• Like 1

When installing, I noticed the installer is still styled like it's a Vista/7-era app. Will Microsoft update the installer to at least look like it came from the Win8 era?

That's one thing I'd like to see as well, they updated the post-install setup part of it but the first bit is still the same old one we've seen.