[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Anyone who knows when we're going to get the first update on WTP?

The first update was already released, actually, but I don't remember it adding anything notable.

EDIT: This was in, apparently.

• In Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates.
  • Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video playback.
  • Some problems in the Compatibility View list for Internet Explorer 11.

The first update was already released, actually, but I don't remember it adding anything notable.

EDIT: This was in, apparently.

• In Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates.
  • Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video playback.
  • Some problems in the Compatibility View list for Internet Explorer 11.

Yeah, I know, but I'm referring to feature updates.

Well this is a technical preview so I don't see why they couldn't be pushing updates out all the time. They don't have to be on an update schedule.. If the update breaks peoples 10 install, oh well. People running it knew the risks going in. I really hope this preview constantly gets pushed forward with updates rather than having to install a completely ISO.

Maybe next week during the now-called Update Tuesday?

I would assume they are going to rollout a first batch of new/updated features next Tuesday. I wouldn't mind a first preview of IE 12 for instance.

Well this is a technical preview so I don't see why they couldn't be pushing updates out all the time. They don't have to be on an update schedule.. If the update breaks peoples 10 install, oh well. People running it knew the risks going in.

You're kidding, right? The last thing Microsoft needs is updates that break the experience, as that will put off consumers. The whole point of the new update system is to prove that small updates can be deployed hassle-free. Microsoft needs to win over those who don't like Windows 8 and those who are happy with Windows 7, which isn't going to be helped by horror stories on every major tech website when an update goes wrong.

That said, we're going to need to see substantial updates between now and release as currently there is no reason for people to upgrade. If we're talking about a late 2015 release then that means about 12 months, which isn't much when you think about it. Really we need to be seeing significant features added every month, if not sooner.

You're kidding, right? The last thing Microsoft needs is updates that break the experience, as that will put off consumers. The whole point of the new update system is to prove that small updates can be deployed hassle-free. Microsoft needs to win over those who don't like Windows 8 and those who are happy with Windows 7, which isn't going to be helped by horror stories on every major tech website when an update goes wrong.

That said, we're going to need to see substantial updates between now and release as currently there is no reason for people to upgrade. If we're talking about a late 2015 release then that means about 12 months, which isn't much when you think about it. Really we need to be seeing significant features added every month, if not sooner.

You're Kidding, right? The average consumer is not running the technical Preview. This is a TEST build of Windows that only techies are running. There are reasons why Microsoft warns not to run this on your production machine.

For instance i'm running it on my couch on a spare SSD. My old install of 7 is on a different SSD. I know the risk, Because it's pretty much an alpha at this point I am expecting an update to potentially cause this machine not to boot. It's the risk of running a technical preview. There will be bugs, that the entire point of testing it.

The only reason they have patch Tuesday on a Tuesday is to give IT time to test it with their software before deployment. This will not be deployed to all workstations thus they can release the updates when ever they feel like it.

You're Kidding, right? The average consumer is not running the technical Preview. This is a TEST build of Windows that only techies are running. There are reasons why Microsoft warns not to run this on your production machine.

I can tell you from some of the posts on the MS Community forums that some people are treating this as if it were the final "live" release of 10, foolish as that is. Installing it on their only computer, you name it.

I can tell you from some of the posts on the MS Community forums that some people are treating this as if it were the final "live" release of 10, foolish as that is. Installing it on their only computer, you name it.

Nothing wrong with installing it on their only computer. I have it installed on a computer I use 60% through out the day for work. But I also understand the risks and have a Windows 7 SSD really to stick back in should this install go ###### up :)

Could it be that they would unify the two (Desktop and Modern) Skype and Skype WiFi apps? Assumign Windows 8 users get free upgrade to 10, what would be the point of keeping two versions of those apps? Make scalable and responsive UI as the base and combine the features of both into one?

You're Kidding, right? The average consumer is not running the technical Preview.

I never suggested otherwise. My point is that if the average consumer reads about scare stories from those using the technical preview then that will put them off. Once Windows 10 has a bad name in terms of reliability then that's hard to shake.

Your suggestion that Microsoft deploy updates without worrying if they will break systems was, quite frankly, silly. If Microsoft can't get things right with a limited number of experienced users then it doesn't stand any chance of deploying it to the inexperienced masses.

I never suggested otherwise. My point is that if the average consumer reads about scare stories from those using the technical preview then that will put them off. Once Windows 10 has a bad name in terms of reliability then that's hard to shake.

Your suggestion that Microsoft deploy updates without worrying if they will break systems was, quite frankly, silly. If Microsoft can't get things right with a limited number of experienced users then it doesn't stand any chance of deploying it to the inexperienced masses.

i'm not saying that they will for certain break machines but it might happen. if it does, that's why we are testing it. So come the consumer release as many of the bugs as possible are ruled out. They have a very long way to go in a very short time. So I don't think doing monthly updates is fast enough. All of my customers who i've mentioned Windows 10 to didn't even know there was such a thing in the works.

The only way there will hear about an update breaking Windows 10 Development release is if CNN or Fox news or ABC or NBC reports on it. I would hope those news organizations would be smart enough to realize it's still in development and not final.

Updates aren't being pushed out since this is a pre-release build. At lot of things are still being implemented which takes time to Q&A, then finally push to the main branch. A lot of feedback is still being assimilated as well.

So the problem is stupid journalists that think they are technical?  I agree.  I also agree that we need radically faster and more flexible/tweakable TP builds, particularly around Modern components.

War is talking about the builds, not actual 'Windows Updates'.

i'm not saying that they will for certain break machines but it might happen. if it does, that's why we are testing it. So come the consumer release as many of the bugs as possible are ruled out. They have a very long way to go in a very short time. So I don't think doing monthly updates is fast enough. All of my customers who i've mentioned Windows 10 to didn't even know there was such a thing in the works.

The only way there will hear about an update breaking Windows 10 Development release is if CNN or Fox news or ABC or NBC reports on it. I would hope those news organizations would be smart enough to realize it's still in development and not final.

The update system has to be robust. Even regular Windows updates can cause problems, so obviously there is more room for error with major updates. As for the media, when you start getting a lot of buzz on tech sites then it reaches through to the mainstream media - we saw that with the criticism directed at Windows 8.

Updates aren't being pushed out since this is a pre-release build. At lot of things are still being implemented which takes time to Q&A, then finally push to the main branch. A lot of feedback is still being assimilated as well.

The whole point of the preview is that new features will be added over time. Some of the features were even mentioned in the release event, so we know some are relatively close to release. Sure people aren't expecting updates in the first few weeks but certainly I'm expecting to see something next month.

So the problem is stupid journalists that think they are technical?  I agree.  I also agree that we need a radically faster and more flexible TP builds.

If they're technical enough to be able to install the preview then they're the target audience. Calling them 'stupid' for running into issues doesn't help. If tech journalists are having problems can you imagine what things will be like for the average user? Microsoft has to demonstrate that the new update system is suitable for a mainstream audience. If it works it will be a major step forward for Windows; if it doesn't then this could be Windows 8 Mark II.

War is talking about the builds, not actual 'Windows Updates'.

It's pretty clear we're all on the same page with regards to what we're discussing.

As for the media, when you start getting a lot of buzz on tech sites then it reaches through to the mainstream media - we saw that with the criticism directed at Windows 8.

That was some of it. The rest of it is people buying new computers and then saying "I HATE Windows 8"

They heard how bad Windows 8 was, then they used it and were like "They were right, this is horrible!"

In that respect I think Windows 10 will do a lot better.

That was some of it. The rest of it is people buying new computers and then saying "I HATE Windows 8"

They heard how bad Windows 8 was, then they used it and were like "They were right, this is horrible!"

In that respect I think Windows 10 will do a lot better.

Oh yeah, don't me wrong - I think Windows 10 will do a lot better than Windows 8. I'm sure the update system will be fine. My point was that Microsoft has to be careful, as right now the Windows 10 brand is pretty much a blank slate.

Nothing wrong with installing it on their only computer. I have it installed on a computer I use 60% through out the day for work. But I also understand the risks and have a Windows 7 SSD really to stick back in should this install go ###### up :)

Precisely. You knew the risks, took precautions, and decided to do a fully-immersive test. If I had a system to spare I might try the same.

But these people are acting as if this is the final production release, and wondering why things aren't working properly or fully.

If they're technical enough to be able to install the preview then they're the target audience. Calling them 'stupid' for running into issues doesn't help. If tech journalists are having problems can you imagine what things will be like for the average user? Microsoft has to demonstrate that the new update system is suitable for a mainstream audience. If it works it will be a major step forward for Windows; if it doesn't then this could be Windows 8 Mark II.

It's pretty clear we're all on the same page with regards to what we're discussing.

Its the same install process of any Windows installation, could you set the bar any lower?  Journalists are not the audience (.), nor are most even journalists and deserve no consideration.  They are average users, much to their puffed up chagrin.

Someone clearly wasn't on the same page, again.

Its the same install process of any Windows installation, could you set the bar any lower?  Journalists are not the audience (.), nor are most even journalists and deserve no consideration.  They are average users, much to their puffed up chagrin.

Someone clearly wasn't on the same page, again.

The average user doesn't reinstall Windows. They may use a recovery disk but that's the extent of their knowledge. To claim that journalists have no legitimacy in commenting on Windows 10 is utterly preposterous. You see to bear an extreme resentment towards journalists.

Precisely. You knew the risks, took precautions, and decided to do a fully-immersive test. If I had a system to spare I might try the same.

For me I created an image of my Windows 8.1 install and then did a clean install on my primary computer, as you don't get a real feel for the operating system if you run it in a virtual environment or only boot into it occasionally. I prepared for the worst but hoped for the best. So far it has been a compete non-entity and I mean that in a positive way - it just works. Drivers install, programs work, gaming is normal, overclocking tools function, etc.

• Like 2

The average user doesn't reinstall Windows. They may use a recovery disk but that's the extent of their knowledge. To claim that journalists have no legitimacy in commenting on Windows 10 is utterly preposterous. You see to bear an extreme resentment towards journalists.

For me I created an image of my Windows 8.1 install and then did a clean install on my primary computer, as you don't get a real feel for the operating system if you run it in a virtual environment or only boot into it occasionally. I prepared for the worst but hoped for the best. So far it has been a compete non-entity and I mean that in a positive way - it just works. Drivers install, programs work, gaming is normal, overclocking tools function, etc.

In my case, there is very little in the way of personal PERSONAL stuff that I keep on my computer - and none of it is so large that it is not archivable, so THOSE files are either cloud-stored OR utterly-offline-stored, depending on the requirements of the file itself.  That is because I am ALWAYS testing something (operating systems, applications, etc.) and it doesn't always revolve around Windows - my Yosemite partition, for example, is on a physically separate drive.  The notebook was acquired specifically FOR the testing of operating systems in a portable environment - therefore, no personal PERSONAL stuff goes on it.

The resentment is NOT toward journalists per se; however, there IS a tendency of late for journalists to let their ideologies get in the way of actually honest reportage (the technical term for those in IT that do that is "click-bait journalism").  I personally see such journalism as part of the "cable-ization" of journalism - narrowcasting, in other words.