[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I still haven't been able to upgrade to the new build. Everytime I try, something seems to fail. I might have to reinstall the VM and go from there.

I still haven't been able to upgrade to the new build. Everytime I try, something seems to fail. I might have to reinstall the VM and go from there.

I just downloaded ESD and then converted it into ISO and made new VM. It was really pain in the bump to upgrade for me and failing more than 5 times after several hours.

I just downloaded ESD and then converted it into ISO and made new VM. It was really pain in the bump to upgrade for me and failing more than 5 times after several hours.

Well I'll try again, if it doesn't work, I might do the ESD method. I always seem to get stuck on the "Installing build" screen, I know I'm supposed to let it sit for a long while, but eventually, my network activity goes to zero, indicating that it's not doing anything. The VM itself will also start throwing up error messages.

had a horrible first time experience after upgrading (and having to reduce to tweak the RAM allocation for VM to run), and it seems that even with 3GB allocated (non swap memory), the speed is a bit slow. I had to defrag the VM from the host Windows to get it to run as fast as possible.

I did a fresh install of 9860 from X64 esd . Things appear quite buggy. Explorer went into crash loop when I tried to clear data of recents from Start Menu properties.

Animations are glitchy with thick transparent black window borders while closing any window.

Is there a way to disable going to home when we click explorer icon on taskbar? I was getting used to annoying folders in Windows 8.1 and now it takes me to Home.

How can I go to This Pc instead?

I can't even seem to download the new build, been stuck at 'Downloading...' for the last 2 days. I've been trying in between, but no go.

Anyone here know how to install via ESD method?

I can't even seem to download the new build, been stuck at 'Downloading...' for the last 2 days. I've been trying in between, but no go.

Anyone here know how to install via ESD method?

Just installed via the ESD to ISO method (clean install - had a normal Windows 8.1 Update 2 on here before) and so far it's running pretty good as expected.

I understand quite clearly, explained in in my previous post.

Do you also seriously believe MS will have a section called OEM in the final windows release? That's definitely the windows 10 version of the OEM customization era from previous windows.

And if HP bundles a razor keyboard with their gaming desktop, with or without custom labels and/or software, its OEM. If you buy of separately it's not OEM. That's just how it works, you can't change that just because you think it should be that way even if it is identical hardware and software.

They have had an "OEM" section in every previous release (of Windows).  If you build (or upgrade) your own computer, there is nothing stopping YOU from using it - that has been, after all, the whole point of the Microsoft OEM and System Builder programs.  It's not just for hardware or software actually developed by the particular OEM (HP or Dell, for example), it's also for third-party hardware and/or software provided TO an OEM, whether on an exclusive basis or not (Wild Tangent, Synaptics, Persona, etc.).  In other words, it's there for consistency reasons.

Anyone get a working driver for the Intel HD 4400 Video drivers for the Thinkpad T440 series? I'm using Microsoft Basic now and obviously that's limiting (for one, sleep functions are limited and LCD brightness stuff).

I tried the latest from Intel and even the Windows Update one which it auto detected but it just wouldn't install it no matter what.

------------

EDIT -

Ok scratch that. I installed the driver from Lenovo and that seemed to work :)

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440s/downloads/DS039513

Seems better already since it's not so choppy.

There's a section of the zPC Settings application that listed as "OEM". My assumption is the PC Settings will be able to handle third party entries.

Not surprising.

If something is going to replace Control Panel (as PC Settings on the desktop side, and Server Manager for servers, is supposed to do) shouldn't it do everything the replaced software does?  Third-party software has "plugged into" Control Panel for years - does or doesn't Adobe Flash Player and Oracle Java plug into Control Panel today?

The other thing is that PC Settings (and Server Manager) are free to act as "supersets" of their respective Control Panels - more features that have been requested, but not easily added.

Anyone else who noticed that Windows is now capable of playing mkv files out-of-the-box in build 9860?

Nope, not working with sample downloaded from here: http://jell.yfish.us/

EDIT: It works if you force playing MKV through WMP.

what codes does the sample use?

H.264 encoded, High Profile

Tried both Xbox Video and Windows Media Player, both does not recognized MKV as supported, if I force it in WMP, it does not play while in Xbox Video, it does not show in File Item Pickup.

EDIT: Its working with Windows Media Player if I force them to play. Sorry for all the posts.

Anyone else who noticed that Windows is now capable of playing mkv files out-of-the-box in build 9860?

Yeah noticed that when I downloaded one and it showed up the preview on my desktop. I was like wait, I know I didn't download a MP4 but looked at the file extension and saw it was MKV. Clicked it and it played right away :D

So how do we pin folders to the new start menu. I've tried dragging shortcuts on but once I do I can never get them back off. I would also like to rename them.

Right-click, Pin to Start?

I don't like the hitching that can occur before the new window open animation.  I'm not sure I like the open animation being different from restore from minimized.

I wish Modern apps would share the same chrome when windowed.  Ugh black bar.

Right-click, Pin to Start?

I don't like the hitching that can occur before the new window open animation.  I'm not sure I like the open animation being different from restore from minimized.

I wish Modern apps would share the same chrome when windowed.  Ugh black bar.

I don't know all the technical stuff going on but modern apps have their own chrome because they're still using their own code that's not part of the "desktop" or something like that.  So while they're windowed and look like they're running on it they're really not, in a very basic way to think of it. 

Forget Performance Options, window animations can be switched on and off in PC Settings, found under Ease of Access > Other.

post-420821-0-70813200-1414202414.png

Anyone else with a weird Skype (modern) bug that makes it start on its own at random times?! I just reported this and it seems that other people have the same problem. :wacko: 

I don't know all the technical stuff going on but modern apps have their own chrome because they're still using their own code that's not part of the "desktop" or something like that.  So while they're windowed and look like they're running on it they're really not, in a very basic way to think of it. 

I understand that, just don't care for it.  I didn't really care for the addition of the title bar or the other stuff to full screen Modern since it's (was) supposed to be largely chrome-less.  Is there anywhere that Tablet mode really needs chrome.  It keep the duality that Modern is an overlay  of sorts and does not appear cohesive.

Then again, I think the tiles may make more sense on the desktop too than being trapped in Start world.