[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Looks like they added support for apps to run on older netbooks with the resolution of 1024x600, some apps work & some are giving error messages & refuse to start.The official Neowin app needs an update too.

I know it has encoder when used in programs such as Movie Maker but not sure if it's part of the media foundation.

What is the quality of the AAC encoder when compared to Apple's QuickTime and other encoders that are out there? have they added the ability to rip/encode within WMP to AAC? I'm surprised we haven't seen a third part come up with a swiss-army application that takes advantage of the CODEC's which make up Media Foundation ala XLD on OS X.

new feature?

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Not too sure, I've just checked my Windows 7 computer here at work and it appears to be new when compared to what comes with Windows 7.

?Actually, if you have it in Hyper-V, you are running such a system - albeit a virtual one.  I currently have 9879 Enterprise in a minimal virtual machine (1 GB of virtual RAM and all of 32 GB of HDD) on a Server 2012R2 host.  I also am accessing Neowin in the VM (using Remote Desktop Connection) - the one thing I need to do is re-enable audio support in RDC; however, that's it.

?

?

.The official Neowin app needs an update too.

Don't hold your breath. :/

LOL, have you guys downloaded the CBS News App? It's the best designed universal app for news and makes great use of the Modern UI Design. The animations are fluid and their are nice touches that show the developer cared. If Neowin wanted to redesign and update, they should take some cues from CBS.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cbs-news/2e76714f-8874-487b-ade2-0ead8a0fe1c6?signin=true

• Like 1

What are the chances of the start menu changing between now and RTM? looking at it makes it shake my head at this point.

There probably is a very high chance.

I would like an overhaul of the way UAC works when they merge Control Panel  with PC Settings, it should have granular controls for

• Apps from the Windows Store
  • Unapproved Apps in the Windows Store
  • Desktop Apps Downloaded from the Internet
  • Old Desktop Apps (made for XP or older)
  • Changes to Settings
  • Changes to Computer

Also different styles would fix the problem with the Windowed Alerts. Have options for Drop down (like OSX, attached to the title bar), windowed alerts, and Windows 8 style banners that covers the screen,

Also reworking the folder/file permissions would be nice.

What are the chances of the start menu changing between now and RTM? looking at it makes it shake my head at this point.

What's wrong with it?

FLAC support in WMP! MS is on a roll!

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Now if only they would get rid of the last few instances of that W7 blue that's still around in the OS. WMP, Image Viewer and the uninstall window being the obvious ones. It's really ugly and out of place imo.

Now if only they would get rid of the last few instances of that W7 blue that's still around in the OS. WMP, Image Viewer and the uninstall window being the obvious ones. It's really ugly and out of place imo.

If they can get Xbox Music and Xbox Video up to WMP/iTunes/Handbreak/VLC/Quicktime X par then we can get rid of WMP for good.

• Like 2

Well MS is asking Windows Insiders via email to do a survery about Windows 10...in that survey, there is a question about which feature needs a major overhaul, just let MS know that the Start Menu needs to change it's look. They have been listening to feedback pretty well, they might think about redesigning the look if many people say it.

I personally liked this design, it was the perfect combination of classic & modern...also the positioning of the power button made sense...the position of the power button in the Tech Preview is pretty weird.

startmenuwindows9.jpg

The position of the power button in the preview, next to the user name, in the start menu is consistent with where it is on the start screen. So in that regard it matches well between desktop/menu and tablet/start screen UIs.  People keep calling for consistency in windows, that's what they're going for.

Personally, I like the look of Start. It's flat, modern, and simplistic. I can't wait to see how it looks after Continuum has been implemented, the new horizontal tile sizes have me curious.

LOL, have you guys downloaded the CBS News App? It's the best designed universal app for news and makes great use of the Modern UI Design. The animations are fluid and their are nice touches that show the developer cared. If Neowin wanted to redesign and update, they should take some cues from CBS.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cbs-news/2e76714f-8874-487b-ade2-0ead8a0fe1c6?signin=true

CBS News is nice, but I was really hoping the Neowin app could be updated to match the Windows Central app. But since the site is responsive now, pinning the website on my Surface has become less of an issue. :)

What's wrong with it?

Not being able to customize it...for example -- All Apps have a huge list of the metro apps without being able to place them in folders (over 25 metro apps require a lot of start menu scrolling).  Also, there isn't a right click method to access "all users" so that you can adjust the start menu hierarchy as you like.

I'm fairly confident those issues will be addressed...but that is "what's wrong with it" now.

post-21852-0-12649800-1417363197.jpg

Not being able to customize it...for example -- All Apps have a huge list of the metro apps without being able to place them in folders (over 25 metro apps require a lot of start menu scrolling).  Also, there isn't a right click method to access "all users" so that you can adjust the start menu hierarchy as you like.

I'm fairly confident those issues will be addressed...but that is "what's wrong with it" now.

TBH, I don't see Microsoft returning to folders/subfolders structure. It's just too messy, and easily confusing for end users. Plus, Universal metro apps logically don't have any folders to be placed into. I can see Microsoft implement a system similar to what you see on the Start Screen today and on Windows Phone, where they are cataloged alphabetically. Also, naturally, there isn't right click options, because this isn't the old menu that had a corresponding folder in the file system.  

TBH, I don't see Microsoft returning to folders/subfolders structure. It's just too messy, and easily confusing for end users. Plus, Universal metro apps logically don't have any folders to be placed into. I can see Microsoft implement a system similar to what you see on the Start Screen today and on Windows Phone, where they are cataloged alphabetically. Also, naturally, there isn't right click options, because this isn't the old menu that had a corresponding folder in the file system.  

Heck, you didn't see them returning to the start menu...now did ya?  

Heck, you didn't see them returning to the start menu...now did ya?  

Technically, they didn't "return" to anything. This is a whole new feature based on all new code, borrowed from the Start Screen. :)

What's wrong with folders and subfolders? I know a good search helps find files easier, but I still love subfolders it just makes everything more organized.

What's wrong with folders and subfolders? I know a good search helps find files easier, but I still love subfolders it just makes everything more organized.

It's easily abused. The old Start Menu is an endless maze of clicks. Look for something in the XP or 7 Menu, and you'll most likely find it buried in a folder (or worse, a subfolder) somewhere. Personally, I think that if you're forcing the user to dig for something they need (an application, settings dialog, etc), that's bad functionality. That's why I'm in love with the new Settings panel in 10, it's not hiding anything anymore from the user. The new Start also changes that by not hiding the applications you're looking for. I can easily direct a user to click "All Apps", and direct them to the application without much effort on my part, or theirs, whereas before, it could be a several step process.