[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Yes, it only appears once, before OOBE.

Oh, I set it up with a Microsoft account that I have never registered a PC to, so I did a clean install. Plus I wasn't watching it install.

Why is there an Activate setting ?

What are you suppose to do ?

Type the Product Key you mean?

NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

from the Tech Preview Site.

Thanks -- but that key did not work.

Hmm... it activated mine.

New Clock Flyout: (reg hack)

:312zn6a.png

I wish MS would realize a lot of the world outside the US use Week numbers and include the in their calendars. they make things so much easier. 

I really wish they would re add that redesign of disk cleanup that was in early leaks of windows 8.

Windows-8-Evolved-Disk-Cleanup-3.png

Or make Disk Cleanup a Modern app.

With the xbox app, you will either be able to stream games from your xbox one to your PC (most likely), or, they will reveal that DirectX 12 makes games compatible on windows and xbox.

• Like 2

This new build has some issues, at least for me. For some reason, the NumLock led on the keyboard won't turn on. Also, removing (by Eject or Safely remove) a USB stick doesn't remove the tray icon. I'll see what else shows up, but other than these it seems a pretty nice build.

I really wish they would re add that redesign of disk cleanup that was in early leaks of windows 8.

Windows-8-Evolved-Disk-Cleanup-3.png

Or make Disk Cleanup a Modern app.

With the xbox app, you will either be able to stream games from your xbox one to your PC (most likely), or, they will reveal that DirectX 12 makes games compatible on windows and xbox.

Yikes. I had forgotten was a mess the early Windows 8 builds were. :wacko:

Disk Cleanup is a mess in 8.1. Whenever you run it, it removes most of the permissions you've already given to WinRT apps. Frustrating!

Oh, and the new Storage Sense or whatever they are adding is the most useless thing ever.

Has anyone else had issues with 9901 completely breaking sleep mode? If so, is there a workaround or fix?

I'm also experiencing huge frame-drops in mobile games, much more than I would expect, even for a WIP build.

If anything, the reverse has been true ever since I left Windows pre-8.

The reason why is due to a rather wacky quirk in several older Intel chipsets, and especially the CSM chipsets G3x and G4x - both chipset types have issues with sleep and/or hibernate in Windows versions older than 8.

Nice. Coming along pretty well. The alarm, camera and world clock apps seem to be ported over from WP (or made universal?).

I'm thinking "made universal" since this same OS WILL appear on phones (as the successor to Windows Phone 8.x) - the new Camera app came from the Lumia series.

Also, the "Settings" app has a name - Raconteur; has a similar app appeared in Windows Phone? (Because, according to it's version, it is NOT in the 1.0 stage, but the 1.x stage - further it is from Microsoft itself.)

Thanks -- but that key did not work.

It won't work in an OVB VM - however, it works bare-metal.  (In the case of my bare-metal install, 9901 replaced 9888 - clean install, not an upgrade.  I also replaced the leak of Office 16 with Office 2013, hence the clean install from 8.1.  I have not done a Hyper-V install yet.)

548d9df85d20b-Untitled.png

This is what I got when I opened Windows Update right after startup. It now shows the updates that are beeing installed, you can also view more details, and from the looks of it, Microsoft want to add a meaningfull description to updates in the future.

That has always been in update descriptions - going back to XP; what is different is that the "long-form" update description is now the default (as opposed to the "short-form" version that had been the default since 9x/NT).

Mind sharing that reg tweak? That looks really nice.

Are we allowed to here? Besides it is super buggy.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\UseWin32TrayClockExperience - set to 0

Warning: Neowin and I are not responsible for any OS damage you may cause by attempting to apply this tweak. Plus if you don't know what creating a dword 32 bit value is... then don't try this.

• Like 2

Disk Cleanup is a mess in 8.1. Whenever you run it, it removes most of the permissions you've already given to WinRT apps. Frustrating!

Oh, and the new Storage Sense or whatever they are adding is the most useless thing ever.

It's ONLY useless if you have a single storage drive.

If you have multiple storage drives, it's extremely useful because it enables you to shift where you put things almost at need as drives fill up.

Real-world example - I have three local drives; C:, D:, and F: - representing Windows 8.1, Server 2012R2, and the Technical Preview, respectively.  All three are accessible from each OS, and no two drives are the same size.

My three drive letters actually have a quirk - C: and F: are shared (different partitions of the same drive); D: - which is home to Server 2012R2, is the smallest drive, and is semi-standalone.  However, due to its small size, some things simply don't go there (Hyper-V storage is not on the same drive as the rest of Server 2012R2 - instead, it is on either C: or (depending on the particular OS used on the VM) F:; this is deliberate).

If you have multiple drives AND multiple partitions (which more and more people with tower PCs are doing, due to dropping costs for both platter drives AND their solid-state relatives), if anything, Storage Sense will come into its own.  (Reminder - Seagate launched an 8 TB platter drive less than a week ago for a sub-$300 MSRP - even if you COULD hang the entire eight terabytes as a single partition, would you, and if so, why?  It is a fair question; GPT partitions have capacity limits MUCH larger than 8 TB - therefore, eight terabytes in a single partition IS possible even for a Windows PC; however, why would you?)

It's ONLY useless if you have a single storage drive.

If you have multiple storage drives, it's extremely useful because it enables you to shift where you put things almost at need as drives fill up.

Real-world example - I have three local drives; C:, D:, and F: - representing Windows 8.1, Server 2012R2, and the Technical Preview, respectively.  All three are accessible from each OS, and no two drives are the same size.

My three drive letters actually have a quirk - C: and F: are shared (different partitions of the same drive); D: - which is home to Server 2012R2, is the smallest drive, and is semi-standalone.  However, due to its small size, some things simply don't go there (Hyper-V storage is not on the same drive as the rest of Server 2012R2 - instead, it is on either C: or (depending on the particular OS used on the VM) F:; this is deliberate).

If you have multiple drives AND multiple partitions (which more and more people with tower PCs are doing, due to dropping costs for both platter drives AND their solid-state relatives), if anything, Storage Sense will come into its own.  (Reminder - Seagate launched an 8 TB platter drive less than a week ago for a sub-$300 MSRP - even if you COULD hang the entire eight terabytes as a single partition, would you, and if so, why?  It is a fair question; GPT partitions have capacity limits MUCH larger than 8 TB - therefore, eight terabytes in a single partition IS possible even for a Windows PC; however, why would you?)

Storage Sense like on Windows Phone, not Storage Spaces / pools. It "tries" to tell you exactly what you have on your disks, but it works like crap.

EDIT: "You have 0 kbs of music." Even though I have about 11 GBs.

talk about killing a product. an OS should not be monetized. the accompanying products, knock yourselves out. the core product will kill your customer base. That's surely one way to make your product line unpopular.

talk about killing a product. an OS should not be monetized. the accompanying products, knock yourselves out. the core product will kill your customer base. That's surely one way to make your product line unpopular.

The hardware shouldn't me monetized either. The law shouldn't be monetized either. Everything that your family lives from shouldn't be monetized either.

See something wrong there?