[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Now all I want is a font renderer that doesn't make everything look like pixel fonts on non high pixel density displays. My life will be complete when this happens.

Also, am I the only person that sees this with the new hybrid modern ui/desktop windows?

13587_lg.jpg

(In a good way, this is imo defacto UI design at the time)

The hardware shouldn't me monetized either. The law shouldn't be monetized either. Everything that your family lives from shouldn't be monetized either.

See something wrong there?

LOL... I see what you are saying. however, don't you spend enough quid, money, ducks, benjamins on Microsoft software? using the OS could cost more in the long term. the OS will end up costing more than the OS was paid for straight up.

I just hope this doesn't happen

I am rapidly becoming disenchantecd with Windows 10.

It is just repackaged Windows 8, with a Start menu.

And I don't but the arguement that it's a beta -- it'll be great when it's done.

Microsoft just isn't interested in making an intuitive OS, nor giving users what they want.

Drifting back to Windows 7 ....

Microsoft just isn't interested in making an intuitive OS, nor giving users what they want.

What did you think it would be? This isn't 2008 anymore.

And Microsoft is giving users exactly what they want - A streamlined, feature rich OS.

And I don't but the arguement that it's a beta -- it'll be great when it's done.

There is a panel where you can make some changes... which you can choose start menu or start screen..  all that stuff as the way you like/want.

Keep looking around in OS and see what you can change as the way you like.

Ready for a new Volume Mixer? Windows is...

2n19yeu.png

(through Reg Hack)

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MTCUVC\EnableMtcUvc

Set Value to 1

Restart Explorer

Click on Volume button in system tray

2n19yeu.png

(through Reg Hack)

2n19yeu.png

(through Reg Hack)

Damn, making great progress - are they holding back the icons for the big presentation on 21 January because so far they're making seemless the Modern UI and Desktop UI into something that isn't jarring when transitioning between the two. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a pop up dialogue version of that along with one populated with more devices in much the same way that the old win32 did. I'm a firm Mac user but I love what Microsoft is doing because it'll force the hand of Apple to hopefully push them to update to OpenGL 4.5, focus on getting OpenGL NG sorted out, refinining and improving the interface and underlying technologies in much the same way that MIcrosoft is doing with their own operating system. It will be interesting to see what they do with explorer, whether we see a cleaning up of that and eventually see win32/GDI relegated purely for backwards compatibility with all the bundled applications using winrt/direct2d/directwrite.

Am I seeing a 1px white border on the new UI, except it doesn't go around the top of each window? Please tell me that is something they're going to address...

Windows 7 = Windows 8 with a start menu + a bunch of new features. I'm not sure how you can rationalize your argument. Do you even know what you are complaining about?

• Like 2

(through Reg Hack)

As much as I like this, I hope they figure out a better way of representing audio devices than "Speakers high definition audio device blah blah". :/

LOL... I see what you are saying. however, don't you spend enough quid, money, ducks, benjamins on Microsoft software? using the OS could cost more in the long term. the OS will end up costing more than the OS was paid for straight up.

I just hope this doesn't happen

I am pretty sure they will offer a non subscription windows, as they have done for office 2013.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a good source for Windows 10 registry edits:

https://twitter.com/Whistler4Ever

Cortana does work in this build for weather and opening Skype for calling. She does do some talking. When it does a Bing search, it opens IE.

14dkbvs.png2cmrx1d.png

Some New Icons:

hsw9qd.jpg9rptls.jpgjpyl51.jpgwin32.png

• Like 2

Storage Sense like on Windows Phone, not Storage Spaces / pools. It "tries" to tell you exactly what you have on your disks, but it works like crap.

EDIT: "You have 0 kbs of music." Even though I have about 11 GBs.

And how much of it is in formats that WMP can play?

Windows (any OS, in fact - it's equally true of iOS or Linux distributions) can only identify formats (in anything) it knows what to do with (until 9901, it could not identify FLAC as a music format, or MKV as a media format).

Also, how much is in the default locations?  And have you added stuff in non-default locations to your libraries?  (If your default locations are empty (and you have not added items in noon-default locations), how is the OS supposed to know about it?  This is, again, in any OS - it's not unique to Windows.)

And how much of it is in formats that WMP can play?

Windows (any OS, in fact - it's equally true of iOS or Linux distributions) can only identify formats (in anything) it knows what to do with (until 9901, it could not identify FLAC as a music format, or MKV as a media format).

Also, how much is in the default locations?  And have you added stuff in non-default locations to your libraries?  (If your default locations are empty (and you have not added items in noon-default locations), how is the OS supposed to know about it?  This is, again, in any OS - it's not unique to Windows.)

Which is why it is useless. It make sense to have it on an iOS device where your content must go specifically in X location and you can only have content in X format, not on Windows where everything can be placed everywhere.

Storage sense is the only app that can quickly and easily show you how much space store apps take up. If it doesn't show you your music, because you have it in a different location then that's just something they'll have to update it to support.  Most people will end up having music in the default music folder though.

Which is why it is useless. It make sense to have it on an iOS device where your content must go specifically in X location and you can only have content in X format, not on Windows where everything can be placed everywhere.

The content can be anywhere (in any OS - be it iOS, or Android, or Linux distros, or Windows) - that is something that third-party software makes its living allowing (a major example is, rather amusingly, iTunes in Windows) - not everyone wants to use a location dictated by the OS (any OS).

Storage sense is the only app that can quickly and easily show you how much space store apps take up. If it doesn't show you your music, because you have it in a different location then that's just something they'll have to update it to support.  Most people will end up having music in the default music folder though.

However, that is not necessarily true of everyone - it isn't true of me, for example.  I have multiple music sources, for example - so do most folks, in fact.  (As you add music services, very few of them actually use the OS defaults.)

After the disaster that is Windows 8, thanks to those atrocious Metro tiles and stuff, I was a bit wary if I should try out the Windows 10 TP, but I eventually decided to still try it out and installed build 9879.

My experiences from trying it out is that it's really a huge improvement over Windows 8, and it's finally usable again. The dumped the misbegotten metro start screen and brought back the start menu with the ordinary desktop again.

The tiles are almost gone - sadly only almost. The start menu is still infested with tiles, but at least you can remove them. here however is one of my critic points: There is no simple way to remove all the tiles from the start menu (or I simply haven't found it). You have to remove all tiles one by one. They really should provide a checkbox at the bottom of the start menu: [ ] Turn off tiles. If they were smart, they'd even turn off those annoying tiles by default and provide a checkbox [ ] Turn on tiles (since according to rumors, there are supposed to be some who like them, unimaginable as it sounds :laugh: ).

After the disaster that is Windows 8, thanks to those atrocious Metro tiles and stuff, I was a bit wary if I should try out the Windows 10 TP, but I eventually decided to still try it out and installed build 9879.

My experiences from trying it out is that it's really a huge improvement over Windows 8, and it's finally usable again. The dumped the misbegotten metro start screen and brought back the start menu with the ordinary desktop again.

The tiles are almost gone - sadly only almost. The start menu is still infested with tiles, but at least you can remove them. here however is one of my critic points: There is no simple way to remove all the tiles from the start menu (or I simply haven't found it). You have to remove all tiles one by one. They really should provide a checkbox at the bottom of the start menu: [ ] Turn off tiles. If they were smart, they'd even turn off those annoying tiles by default and provide a checkbox [ ] Turn on tiles (since according to rumors, there are supposed to be some who like them, unimaginable as it sounds :laugh: ).

They haven't dumped anything out. The Start Screen is still there and as usable as before. The Start Menu is still not exactly the ideal solution. I mean you can select all tiles and have them removed, changed sizes, moved around, etc within the Start Screen, but not on the Start Menu.

What's more, with Continuum, at least from what's been activated with a hack so far would basically make the Start Menu and Start Screen to be the very same thing. Same behavior, same rules, same backend and frontend, the only major change would be its sizes. Either it would take a partial size as the Start Menu does momentarily, or take over the entire screen (with the exception of the taskbar) like Start Screen would do.

Windows 10 thrives on Live Tiles as much if not more than Windows 8/8.1, simply because if the rumors are true, they would get to be interactive too!

They haven't dumped anything out. The Start Screen is still there and as usable as before. The Start Menu is still not exactly the ideal solution. I mean you can select all tiles and have them removed, changed sizes, moved around, etc within the Start Screen, but not on the Start Menu.

What's more, with Continuum, at least from what's been activated with a hack so far would basically make the Start Menu and Start Screen to be the very same thing. Same behavior, same rules, same backend and frontend, the only major change would be its sizes. Either it would take a partial size as the Start Menu does momentarily, or take over the entire screen (with the exception of the taskbar) like Start Screen would do.

Windows 10 thrives on Live Tiles as much if not more than Windows 8/8.1, simply because if the rumors are true, they would get to be interactive too!

Oh my, that doesn't sound good... I really hope they'll put in a quick and simple way to entirely disable this tiles junk.

Oh my, that doesn't sound good... I really hope they'll put in a quick and simple way to entirely disable this tiles junk.

That I do not fully know. Their Continuum video mockup showed a Start Menu with the Live Tiles in, while the registry unloackable one found in the current builds (including the leaked ones) don't adjust horizontally whether you have Live Tiles or static icons with names, however it is still unfinished, so it's no wonder it works like that at the moment.

Would you care to explain why the live tiles are "junk", "infested", "annoying", and "atrocious"? The problem I have with people hating on Modern UI, is I have yet to found anyone with coherent, justifiable points.

Live tiles aren't going anywhere, if you want to not use them that's one thing but MS is going to upgrade them yet again in Windows 10. Heck we could even see them create a API for legacy win32 apps to create their own live tile in the future. I can't wait to see the new interactive "exploding" tiles in action.

• Like 2