[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Not sure...on my primary notebook (1920x1080 ... 15inch screen) I'll run the browser windowed a lot (like I'm doing now).  Desktop...no brainer(dual 23 inch).  I do not find myself running browsers windowed on my el cheapo travel notebook (1368x768 or something).  Though I will if I'm working with another program (not ideal though because of the resolution)

At work...same thing...I'll run the browser windowed all the time.  Usually with Word/Excel or some other program up that I'm working with.  Some websites for work I have (to save tme) to run windowed for data comparison...for example my civilian timecards where they have to enter their time into two separate websites (silly...I know) which have to exactly match (easier said than done considering the sites are not similar).

I do believe I missed the meaning behind your original comment.  Are you saying most do not run browsers windowed...and that they should just be full screen?  

No - I am saying that "to each their own", and that if you run a browser full-screen (not windowed), depending on what you want from a browser, ModernUI may well be a better API for a browser for your use than Win32.  (The same thinking applies to other applications that are run full-screen, and especially to portable PCs (not alone tablets and slates, but even notebooks, and especially older laptops) - it's why I'm actually asking those with such portable hardware to evaluate ModernUI applications for that use more so than desktop PC users, as the lower resolutions of portables better fit the ModernUI use envelope than the higher-resolution desktop PC does.  I run more ModernUI non-gaming software on my notebook than my desktop for precisely that reason.

Anyone having issues with the "No such interface supported" message whenever trying to open files associated to certain apps. I've attached a screenshot of me trying to open a music file. This happens randomly.

Something triggers it for a while and then everything goes back to normal. I'm saying this because minutes ago I was able to open any media files no problem.

post-453301-0-73312300-1419358158.png

I hope they add NAT-like networking in Hyper-V. I am really tired of having to configure the VMs every single damn time I switch networks.

Hyper-V networking is configured the same way in every version of Windows - via a virtual switch.  If you have multiple adapters (wired or wireless) you can have multiple virtual switches.

In Windows Server 2012R2 (my Hyper-V platform of choice) I have both a wired AND a wireless adapter (the wireless adapter is a USB G-based stick) and separate virtual switches for each, though both connect to the same router.  (If, naturally, you only have a single adapter - again, wired OR wireless - you have but the single virtual switch; you CAN create a host-only switch for clients that won't have outside access); actually, the default connection (via a router-facing connection) is a form of NAT - other than remembering to connect the adapter to the virtual switch, it's no different than VirtualBox or VMware.  (That is the real difference between Hyper-V and the desktop-facing VirtualBox or VMware Player/Workstation - Hyper-V is identical (other than the EPT requirement of the desktop iteration) on desktop Windows and server-based Windows - where Hyper-V was born; both VirtualBox and VMware's desktop products handle the NAT setup during installation, while Hyper-V requires you to configure it yourself.)

I hope they add NAT-like networking in Hyper-V. I am really tired of having to configure the VMs every single damn time I switch networks.

Do you have multiple adapters?  If so, try associating Hyper-V by default with a specific adapter (easily done, since Hyper-V creates separate virtual switches for each adapter it detects).  After I finally replace my wireless-G stick with a dual-band N stick, I'll reconfigure my existing wireless virtual switch to use this adapter (for virtual tablets or phablets with simulated wi-fi)

I remember people calling Windows 98,2000,XP,Vista,7,8 "dumbed down". I guess you are part of the same bandwagon for Windows 10. Welcome, you will find some friends here for sure.

Actually windows 8, and now 10, is demonstrably "dumbed down" with metro garbage.

Metro is backwards thinking, regressive in every way and with demonstrably reduced features and functionality it really has no place on a truly modern desktop whatsoever.

Here are just a few examples:

Metro Skype: No audio or video adjustments, modern desktop skype has all of this and much more.

Metro video: Extremely limited video adjustments, modern desktop windows media player has these settings and many more.

Metro mail: Lacking horribly in all areas, even modern desktop windows live mail completely demolishes it, and that is truly a sad fact.

This list could go on and on but you get the idea.

Metro is backwards thinking, regressive in every way and with demonstrably reduced features and functionality it really has no place on a truly modern desktop whatsoever.

Since you apparently missed it the last few dozen times this was pointed out to you, one more time for the lulz, it's not just desktops this OS runs on. Running an old desktop setup like XP or 7 on a tablet is truly a painful experience, and I know this firsthand with several tablets. Another fun tidbit, the "metro garbage".. you don't actually have to use it. Run the desktop versions, unpin any tiles, and presto, a classic desktop. Neat, huh.

LMAO another win10 thread going to be closed......

Probably.. parroting the same thing in every thread -- a discussion is one thing but it's the same thing over and over and over ad nauseum, even when the 'facts' are proven wildly inaccurate.

Since you apparently missed it the last few dozen times this was pointed out to you, one more time for the lulz, it's not just desktops this OS runs on. Running an old desktop setup like XP or 7 on a tablet is truly a painful experience, and I know this firsthand with several tablets. Another fun tidbit, the "metro garbage".. you don't actually have to use it. Run the desktop versions, unpin any tiles, and presto, a classic desktop. Neat, huh.

Probably.. parroting the same thing in every thread -- a discussion is one thing but it's the same thing over and over and over ad nauseum, even when the 'facts' are proven wildly inaccurate.

Why do you bother? No matter what MS comes up with, there will always be people complaining about something in Windows. I hope I'll see the day when Neowin has a 20 pages thread about the Explorer icon in Windows being pink.

• Like 2

Why do you bother? No matter what MS comes up with, there will always be people complaining about something in Windows. I hope I'll see the day when Neowin has a 20 pages thread about the Explorer icon in Windows being pink.

Pink?!? Typical Microsoft arrogance, forcing users to accept this regressive and offending pink garbage, I shouldn't have to change it to something else. A truely modern interface would have something in a subtle shade of lavender, this is just demonstrating their total contempt for their customers. Maybe with Windows 11 (or will it be 20 just to distance themselves from the pink fiasco?) they'll finally listen.

Your move.

Pink?!? Typical Microsoft arrogance, forcing users to accept this regressive and offending pink garbage, I shouldn't have to change it to something else. A truely modern interface would have something in a subtle shade of lavender, this is just demonstrating their total contempt for their customers. Maybe with Windows 11 (or will it be 20 just to distance themselves from the pink fiasco?) they'll finally listen.

Your move.

:laugh: I said it pure randomly, you didn't get it. The point was that someday, when people won't have anything else to bitch about, they'll bitch about an icon in Windows, or something like that. But they WILL.

Another fun tidbit, the "metro garbage".. you don't actually have to use it. Run the desktop versions, unpin any tiles, and presto, a classic desktop. Neat, huh.

Wrong, the control panel has been replaced with a metro version, the user is now forced into using metro garbage with windows 10.

:laugh: I said it pure randomly, you didn't get it. The point was that someday, when people won't have anything else to bitch about, they'll bitch about an icon in Windows, or something like that. But they WILL.

I know, my snarky-streak got the better of me, sorry ;D

Wrong, the control panel has been replaced with a metro version, the user is now forced into using metro garbage with windows 10.

Yea, except judging by the previous screenshots that garbage appears to be functionally identical to what's already there now, never mind you're still totally guessing what the end result is going to be. It's just the presentation man.. like when Visual Studio switched from WinForms to WPF.. zomg it'll ruin everything!! Nah, not really. Functionally identical, except better. That is, there'll have to be backwards compatibility, they can't do away entirely with the old stuff, hence it's logical to assume you'd still be able to use something of a retro mindset like ClassicShell, etc to get to those .cpl's. Of course you're going to see people focus on the new stuff.. what do you expect, an article showcasing some old program that's been around since 95? Give me a break.

I know, my snarky-streak got the better of me, sorry ;D

Yea, except judging by the previous screenshots that garbage appears to be functionally identical to what's already there now, never mind you're still totally guessing what the end result is going to be

Metro has proven reduced features and functionality, why will this metro control panel be any different?

Metro has proven reduced features and functionality, why will this metro control panel be any different?

"Proven." Right. Which scientific study? And lets ignore the changes that pretty much bring them in line to work more or less exactly like classic WinForms stuff.. windowed, standard controls, all that stuff. Lets not compare a control panel to some app designed for tablets to begin with.I can just as easily make a brain-dead classic app too, doesn't make it a rule.
  • Like 2

Single apps prove nothing, MS has made metro apps with reduced functionality to work in addition to traditional apps for tablets and such. you're not meant to replace live mail with the modern version, unless you want to. Personally the only reason  use live mail is because I can have multiple inboxes visible as one virtual one, that's the only reason for not using the modern mail client. 

on the other hand, we have seen apps that prove modern apps can be just as powerful as classic win32 apps. And MS is making the apps that are being fully replaced with modern ones in win10, as full replacements.

So can you get off this crap and go with your anti Modern/Metro trolling in the proper threads now, instead of polluting a windows 10 TP thread with your anti modern posts ? have you come here because no one bothered with you in the old threads anymore ? 

I watch and read this thread for information and news about Windows 10, not to see your rehashed metro and windows 8 hate. 

Anyone having issues with the "No such interface supported" message whenever trying to open files associated to certain apps. I've attached a screenshot of me trying to open a music file. This happens randomly.

Something triggers it for a while and then everything goes back to normal. I'm saying this because minutes ago I was able to open any media files no problem.

"other drive"? seems fishy..     :p

Do you have multiple adapters?  If so, try associating Hyper-V by default with a specific adapter (easily done, since Hyper-V creates separate virtual switches for each adapter it detects).  After I finally replace my wireless-G stick with a dual-band N stick, I'll reconfigure my existing wireless virtual switch to use this adapter (for virtual tablets or phablets with simulated wi-fi)

I have two virtual switches in Hyper-V, each associated with a particular external interface. One with the wired, and one with the wireless, since I am on a laptop.

Several problems here.

-I have to manually switch from one to another switch if I want to keep just one switch in a VM. This is easily fixable by using both switches in the VMs, so it is not that big of a thing.

-When I am in Sweden, I have to use wired connection, which is basically a university-provided Internet access. Meaning I have to log in before I can access the Internet, and this makes network installation of ArchLinux / Debian and similar things impossible.

-When I am in Macedonia, I have to use wireless connection. Because I have a cheap and crappy router, it doesn't sometimes distinguish between the VMs' and the host's packets, and it tries to give the same IP to all of them, causing problems left and right.

These are my two most used cases, but I also often use the wireless city-wide connection provided from my university in Sweden and share connection from the phone. I would really like something easy that I don't have to manage every time I switch networks.

This list could go on and on but you get the idea.

That has nothing to do with the actual Metro. But you are most welcome to continue making yourself look even more like a ... with those posts.

And I'll ask again for that increase in moderation of this thread. Please.

Single apps prove nothing, MS has made metro apps with reduced functionality to work in addition to traditional apps for tablets and such. you're not meant to replace live mail with the modern version, unless you want to. Personally the only reason  use live mail is because I can have multiple inboxes visible as one virtual one, that's the only reason for not using the modern mail client. 

on the other hand, we have seen apps that prove modern apps can be just as powerful as classic win32 apps. And MS is making the apps that are being fully replaced with modern ones in win10, as full replacements.

So can you get off this crap and go with your anti Modern/Metro trolling in the proper threads now, instead of polluting a windows 10 TP thread with your anti modern posts ? have you come here because no one bothered with you in the old threads anymore ? 

I watch and read this thread for information and news about Windows 10, not to see your rehashed metro and windows 8 hate. 

I really have to wonder (since he has not said) exactly what hardware Order_66 runs his software on.

I started running Windows 8 on the SAME hardware I ran 7 on - in other words, a straight upgrade, and without changing hardware.

I took ALL the Win32 applications I was using on 7 except a grand total of three - and those three got mooted by core-OS features.  (That means that - despite protestations to the contrary, Windows 8, despite the lack of Start menu, actually got backward-compatibility right - which is something that Windows 7, paradoxically enough, failed to do.)

Along comes the Technical Preview - so far, three games - all from the SAME publisher (specifically, Sony Online Entertainment) don't work; however, that is all that has failed so far - in the way of anything.  I've added an older (than the desktop) notebook (in fact, it could be called a "legacy notebook", since it originally shipped with Vista - not 7).  Like most notebooks (then, and today), it includes a trackpad.  In fact, the trackpad works better in the Technical Preview than it has in any other version of Windows.  (That is quite aside from the reality that the included fingerprint scanner - a security feature - actually is supported by the OS from the jump - which neither Vista or 7 could say.  Windows 7's failure to support fingerprint scanners MAYBE I can give a SLIGHT pass on - however, the poor trackpad support - in Windows 7 - makes no sense whatever.  Trackpads have been standard fare in notebooks - and laptops before them - for how long?  Why has it taken until a future version of Windows for trackpad support to be gotten right?)

Am I horked off?  Darn straight I'm horked off - but NOT at Microsoft for the Technical Preview, as it actually corrects some rather egregious errors and missing features as far as hardware support - and rather OLD hardware support at that.  As the Technical Preview moves forward, what else will we discover we have been needlessly shortchanged on, in terms of hardware support?

For me, 8 (and the Technical Preview) have nothing to do with touch support - it is entirely about getting the most out of my hardware - desktop and notebook alike - full stop.  That is the entire reason for being behind any operating system and the software that runs on it, supposedly.

I have two virtual switches in Hyper-V, each associated with a particular external interface. One with the wired, and one with the wireless, since I am on a laptop.

Several problems here.

-I have to manually switch from one to another switch if I want to keep just one switch in a VM. This is easily fixable by using both switches in the VMs, so it is not that big of a thing.

-When I am in Sweden, I have to use wired connection, which is basically a university-provided Internet access. Meaning I have to log in before I can access the Internet, and this makes network installation of ArchLinux / Debian and similar things impossible.

-When I am in Macedonia, I have to use wireless connection. Because I have a cheap and crappy router, it doesn't sometimes distinguish between the VMs' and the host's packets, and it tries to give the same IP to all of them, causing problems left and right.

These are my two most used cases, but I also often use the wireless city-wide connection provided from my university in Sweden and share connection from the phone. I would really like something easy that I don't have to manage every time I switch networks.

That has nothing to do with the actual Metro. But you are most welcome to continue making yourself look even more like a ... with those posts.

And I'll ask again for that increase in moderation of this thread. Please.

I never said it was a ModernUI issue - it IS a Hyper-V issue, but ModernUI has nothing to do with it.

Hyper-V is different from VirtualBox and VMware in that it is unchanged (except for that EPT requirement) from the server variation (at least in the case of VMware, compared to ESXi or vCenter).  I'm not saying there isn't a learning curve compared to either one - there certainly is.  Because of what you have to do in terms of switching connections, Hyper-V may not be the best solution for what you need - which is why I asked for specifics; VMware (or even VirtualBox) may actually make more sense - the caveat is that installation of either roadblocks using Hyper-V.  Can we take this thread to Virtualization, please?

Windows Technical Preview.

This is a discussion thread for that topic, I am voicing a legitimate concern, if you don't like it then I suggest you use the ignore feature, name calling, trolling, flame baiting, this seems to be the typical response and I am not guilty of any of it, I'm here to discuss windows 10 and its eventual failure/success.

Which metro apps are just as powerful and have matched, feature for feature, functionality for functionality, with modern desktop software?

I never said it was a ModernUI issue - it IS a Hyper-V issue, but ModernUI has nothing to do with it.

Hyper-V is different from VirtualBox and VMware in that it is unchanged (except for that EPT requirement) from the server variation (at least in the case of VMware, compared to ESXi or vCenter).  I'm not saying there isn't a learning curve compared to either one - there certainly is.  Because of what you have to do in terms of switching connections, Hyper-V may not be the best solution for what you need - which is why I asked for specifics; VMware (or even VirtualBox) may actually make more sense - the caveat is that installation of either roadblocks using Hyper-V.  Can we take this thread to Virtualization, please?

The Metro thing was for the other quote. :) Must use Hyper-V for Universal app dev, so that automatically blocks all other forms of virtualisation.

I could name a few video editing apps that are as powerful and "complex" as their win32 counterparts.

and no you're not discussing windows 10, you're throwing the same crap you've been doing in threads since windows 8 beta. there's nothing constructive about your posts no suggestions, it's just saying how bad it is and have been patently untrue. 

This thread isn't for discussing the negatives or positives about Modern apps. if you want to do that, you can do it in the proper threads of which you should know where to find since you spent the majority of your neowin time in them. 

Windows Technical Preview.

This is a discussion thread for that topic, I am voicing a legitimate concern, if you don't like it then I suggest you use the ignore feature, name calling, trolling, flame baiting, this seems to be the typical response and I am not guilty of any of it, I'm here to discuss windows 10 and its eventual failure/success.

Which metro apps are just as powerful and have matched, feature for feature, functionality for functionality, with modern desktop software?

Order_66, you are basically insisting that Windows roll all the way back to the Windows 7 feature set - that not a single feature introduced with Windows 8 or later has ANY merit whatever.

First off, do you not have any use for included ISO-mounting (which Windows has lacked as a core feature until merely 8.0)?  An included disk-optimization feature that is good enough to replace third-party software (specifically, Diskeeper)?  A vastly-improved Microsoft Security Essentials (which is what Windows Defender is) that obviates the need for yet more third-party software (the only third-party security software I added was to fix the only hole in MSE/Defender - anti-malware)?  And this is without breaking Win32 compatibility.  (Nobody - not Microsoft or anyone else - including DConnell, Dot Matrix, or me, for that matter - is saying that ModernUI obviates the need for Win32 - it certainly hasn't in my own case; other than the three specific examples I have given, no Win32 software got replaced.)  There is more competition for Win32 as an API - however, that is up to the developers - both of Win32 and ModernUI APIs - to fight over; we, as users, merely reap the rewards in terms of better software regardless of API - in other words, improved software and greater choice.

Win32 and the Start menu are NOT synonymous - if they actually were, then a lot of my Win32 daily-use software would have failed to install altogether, let alone worked.  The three games that fail to work in the Technical Preview all DO work in Windows 8 - therefore, the lack of Start menu certainly is not it.  Dependence on the Start menu also does NOT mean dependence on Win32, because one can work without the other.  What's your real peeve with the Technical Preview - the lack of a proper (7-style) Start menu, or the continued presence of ModernUI (which is not an obstacle to Win32, as many users of non-touch-supporting hardware prove on a daily basis)?

Win32 does not need the Start menu to survive as an API - Windows 8 itself proved that much.  For users, that may be different - however, that is not an API problem.

ModernUI and Win32 - it can either complement OR compete with it - that depends on the developer.  (However, hasn't that been the case with all other APIs?)

That is what I am asking, Order_66 - why the insistence on Win32-only?

I could name a few video editing apps that are as powerful and "complex" as their win32 counterparts.

and no you're not discussing windows 10, you're throwing the same crap you've been doing in threads since windows 8 beta. there's nothing constructive about your posts no suggestions, it's just saying how bad it is and have been patently untrue. 

This thread isn't for discussing the negatives or positives about Modern apps. if you want to do that, you can do it in the proper threads of which you should know where to find since you spent the majority of your neowin time in them. 

In terms of video editing apps, I can't believe I'm going to say this... but I have to agree that there are not any great ones that come close to even Windows Movie Maker except for Movie Creator Beta, which does not implement a proper timeline. It also doesn't have picture in picture, green screen capability, etc. However, if Devs spent more time on it, which I hope they will, maybe one day it can become just as powerful. Especially now that they can scale to the desktop (mouse and keyboard), up to Surface like devices, down to phones.