[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

mpccvH5o.jpg

While I still think that those primitive monochromatic icons look absolutely awful, it's a good idea that we now have a little start menu with login screen related entries on the login screen :woot:

Looks like MS is really serious about bringing back the start menu in full force.

Could this icon replacer software also be used to replace the Metro Windows 1 icons with actually decent looking ones?

Does this only work on 9901 or also on 9879?

Works with 9879.

When did I ever say Ease of Access Replacer v2 is a ICON replacer? It isn't. Those icons are not from Microsoft and that program is not installed in the build. The screenshot was from someone who happened to have it installed!

No they aren't official, not from MS, so no. They were poor images stolen not meant for public display. 

"'ll make sure to pass it along once we verify the information." from Brads "article". So these may also be fake.

A Microsoft employee also commented on the article and didn't call Brad out. I also know that Brad does have a source and is having to be very careful about what can be disclosed, so there. Remember we have posted a ton of info last year well before other sites picked it up due to this fact.

Edit: The first thing Brad said when he came online was that the BGR info was fake, so make of that what you will.

For what I use it for I have no issues with how OneDrive works so far, I just want to see that rumored music locker feature come out, would let me stream things through apps like Xbox music without having to go through OneDrive and then download files to my phone.

?My vote for the next preview build goes to 9916. It's the most recent awesome1501 build and I doubt Microsoft will be able to test a newer build before the 21st (if that is the date they will release it). Usualy, builds are tested for at least 2 weeks within Microsoft before they go to Windows Insiders.

In the past i'd agree with you guys but look at 9879, it was pretty buggy, hardly looked like they tested it much. With how quick they're moving with things and the whole fast/slow ring setup I think we could get something newer and closer to the 21st for the fast ring users, test it that way and then push it out to the rest.

• Like 1

OneDrive syncing is notoriously bad and inefficient.

Just think, this is the same company that had the Mesh platform, as well as a whole Sync API as part of Mesh that any app could use. It was fantastic. Then they threw it all out. 

Live Mesh with its remoting features and super flexible file sync is yet to be matched by any company, and probably never will be.

• Like 3

And we still don't know why it GOT thrown out.

It could have been performance, inefficiency (other than performance), a "stepped on someone's toes" or "horked in someone's ricebowl" thing, etc.  We don't know.

On the other hand, I've had no issues with OneDrive syncing since 8.  But then, I have a wired Ethernet connection that I use for it - I typically won't try to sync a cloud over Wi-Fi. (In fact, every other cloud service - including iCloud, Google Drive, MEGA, etc., - recommends using wired connections for sync.) If the issue IS with your wired connection, investigate possible causes of connection interference, etc.  Wireless connections have enough issues simply due to having more things that can go wrong - and that's just inside my own home, and compared to a wired connection, and outside of straightforward performance issues.

In the past i'd agree with you guys but look at 9879, it was pretty buggy, hardly looked like they tested it much. With how quick they're moving with things and the whole fast/slow ring setup I think we could get something newer and closer to the 21st for the fast ring users, test it that way and then push it out to the rest.

That's why after that fiasco build, I think they will not do it again, meaning 1/2 or weeks on the oven for a build release.

I'm still waiting for co-ownership of Folders in Onedrive.

Have they ever solved this problem?

I have all my pics in Onedrive and shared that folder with my girlfriend.

Would be nice if she could just drag and drop new files in that folder through File Explorer

And we still don't know why it GOT thrown out.

It could have been performance, inefficiency (other than performance), a "stepped on someone's toes" or "horked in someone's ricebowl" thing, etc.  We don't know.

Short answer - Sinofsky

Long answer - this was around the same time a lot of projects int he Windows division were cancelled or deprioritized. Bing was the new hot thing and anything 'Live' along with its tech had to go. Nothing in Windows 7 was allowed to share tech with other divisions.  

And most likely we now know the build to be released in 21!

We already know it's from this branch and that Microsoft always gives a week or 2 of time in the oven for each build released.

10.0.9916.0.fbl_awesome1501.150105-1700

https://buildfeed.net/actions/info/1221/

I'll say we'll get Build 9921, because that would fit nicely with the date! :D

Weird -- the Windows 10/Firefox browser issue cleared itself up.

I can use my favorite Search engine in the normal way !

I did nothing to 'update' Firefox.

So this is fake:?

As0XLte.png

This is a close mockup by Brad? 

screen_shot_2015-01-07_at_11.39.36_am_st

c4445772e30e57a.jpg

This is fake? (kinda obvious)

microsoft-spartan.jpg?w=952

This is real? (But not current?)

24b5992675f9f48.jpg

And most likely we now know the build to be released in 21!

We already know it's from this branch and that Microsoft always gives a week or 2 of time in the oven for each build released.

10.0.9916.0.fbl_awesome1501.150105-1700

https://buildfeed.net/actions/info/1221/

Guess it might not be it...

10.0.9918.0.fbl_awesome1501.150107-2124

We haven't seen anything current yet, specially not for Spartan, Brad did some mockups that show us what he saw, but it's not exactly 1:1 like he said. The new taskbar is probably a mockup or a early version, it still matches with what others have been hinting at, that there is a good reason that the taskbar is black in 9901.

I've been saying for months now that I expect a new/updated taskbar and so far all the hints, whispers and leaks are pointing that way.

The new look could be a strong indication that maybe we'll see this new taskbar be a part of the new modern 2.0 UI we'll use on tablets and phones in some fashion. Maybe with apps moving their "app bar" from the bottom of the screen to the left as a fly out menu that we see when they're windowed then this could open it up to having a charms bar effect but with the new taskbar, basically a universal up swipe that will show the taskbar.

We haven't seen anything current yet, specially not for Spartan, Brad did some mockups that show us what he saw, but it's not exactly 1:1 like he said. The new taskbar is probably a mockup or a early version, it still matches with what others have been hinting at, that there is a good reason that the taskbar is black in 9901.

I've been saying for months now that I expect a new/updated taskbar and so far all the hints, whispers and leaks are pointing that way.

The new look could be a strong indication that maybe we'll see this new taskbar be a part of the new modern 2.0 UI we'll use on tablets and phones in some fashion. Maybe with apps moving their "app bar" from the bottom of the screen to the left as a fly out menu that we see when they're windowed then this could open it up to having a charms bar effect but with the new taskbar, basically a universal up swipe that will show the taskbar.

It could be a tablet UI version or low battery one too, we'll have to wait and see.