[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Actually there are a few addons that are actually pretty good like lastpass, abp, and fireshot

Actually there are a few addons that are actually pretty good like lastpass, abp, and fireshot

The lastpass add-on for IE is in no way comparable to the one available for other browsers.  Or at least, it wasn't last time I gave IE a shot.

There's no imagus alternative for IE.

There's no speed reading alternative for IE.

The add-ons bar is a nightmare and the interface is generally a clusterfudge as soon as you install any add-ons.  Oh, and being forced to have them limited to their own individual toolbar and not being able to have access to the "add-ons" if you want to hide a toolbar is ridiculous.

They also have to fix the font rendering in IE, too.

76c858306e4d1d5.jpg

This looks fake because there is no mouse. They aren't taking a screenshot, they are taking a picture of the monitor. The only situation this would happen is if they were taking a picture of a screenshot, which sounds doubtful, because why would they do that?

Also, no build string on the desktop? Sure, they may be a close to final build but Microsoft would be out of their minds if they had no identification for leakers, especially on a sensitive build like this.

If you look at the third party icons on the taskbar, you can see they are not aligned with the white icons, and the iTunes icon has white artifacts around it, especially at the left and right edges. Also, for some reason, the stock icons are bigger than the third party icons, even though it would make sense if all icons were resized to the same size.

And finally, there is no icon indicating that Spartan is open.

This looks fake because there is no mouse. They aren't taking a screenshot, they are taking a picture of the monitor. The only situation this would happen is if they were taking a picture of a screenshot, which sounds doubtful, because why would they do that?
the mouse could be hidden away in the corner of the screen, away from sight. The only corner where you can't do it is the upper-left

the mouse could be hidden away in the corner of the screen, away from sight. The only corner where you can't do it is the upper-left

That picture is an internal concept image, not a live build. That's what they want it to look like.

• Like 3

Guys it's been said, the above picture isn't real, but it's not fake either. It's said to be from an internal Microsoft concept/mockup image. So while it's not a real desktop image, if it's an internal concept of what they plan to do then it's pretty close to what we'll see. That doesn't make it fake in the same sense as how that first Spartan "leak" is though.

• Like 3

Guys it's been said, the above picture isn't real, but it's not fake either. It's said to be from an internal Microsoft concept/mockup image. So while it's not a real desktop image, if it's an internal concept of what they plan to do then it's pretty close to what we'll see. That doesn't make it fake in the same sense as how that first Spartan "leak" is though.

But why would a mockup/concept have third party icons?

It's an interesting option to have, names to the side of the icons on the desktop. As long as you can set which of the two ways you want I'm all for it.

Third party icons to see how it would look with the UI of course... MS can change theirs but the app devs gotta make their own so this shows how it would look.

It's an interesting option to have, names to the side of the icons on the desktop. As long as you can set which of the two ways you want I'm all for it.

Mac OS X has had this option for a long time, the only thing I don't like about it is they give you a fixed size that tends to either not show enough info or too much. Be interesting to see how Windows does it, as I do like the option, as it generally gives me much more vertical space for desktop icons.

Mac OS X has had this option for a long time, the only thing I don't like about it is they give you a fixed size that tends to either not show enough info or too much. Be interesting to see how Windows does it, as I do like the option, as it generally gives me much more vertical space for desktop icons.

That's the same kind of issue that I see for icons that allocate vertical space for the object name. Both work fine for directories, e.g. Tiles view in Explorer, where names are typically quite short. Most of these views seem to break down for very long filenames, where we try and shove what should be metadata into the filename itself, like calling a downloaded journal article "Last Name, First Name, (Date) - Title of Article.extension", etc.

Yeah - looks like they are just adding the Tiles view available everywhere else to Desktop. Seems to be part of their agenda to unify everything.

heared spartan would be two browser(Metro/desktop) in W10 initially what a shame.

but still i i like the idea that it would be constantly upgraded via Store (Y) 

hope they go byond and merge Video app with WMP , would love if it give us a interface Zuneish

What do we know about under the hood changes in Windows 10? All the news bits we get are about the user interface, Cortana integration, more deeply unified apps... but that can't be all there is. Where could I look for info like this? Can we expect more technical information at or around 21st?

There have been posts on different sites showing the new APIs that have been added so far, try doing a few searches for them. As far as detailed info we'll have to wait for BUILD probably. The 21st will be about consumer features, I don't expect details about APIs and such but who knows? It's going to be an all day event at MS, the keynote could not have it but the rest of the day might.

Outside of that we pretty much know about more winrt work and DX12 to start. There should be work to let modern apps call win32 and vice versa, allowing WPF apps use winrt stuff.

We could see a jump in builds quicker as they combine things from different teams that are ready. They like to bump up build numbers from time to time.

We could see a jump in builds quicker as they combine things from different teams that are ready. They like to bump up build numbers from time to time.

I don't think build jumps like in previous Windows are going to be part of this cycle...

The jump from Windows 8.1 (6.3) to Windows 10 (10.0) is probably also related to them wanting to adjust the build number.

Windows 10, Kernel number 10.0, build number 10000

Outside of that we pretty much know about more winrt work and DX12 to start. There should be work to let modern apps call win32 and vice versa, allowing WPF apps use winrt stuff.

IIRC, during the last Build, one of the developers mentioned that while it is not officially documented, some WinRT APIs can be called from non-WinRT apps. I can't wait for Build, personally, I'd like more info on the APIs and scaling of apps and all that. I am currently learning WPF because it provides access to more APIs that I need for my projects, like for example, mounting and optimising VHDX files, something that WinRT apps just cannot do.

I don't think build jumps like in previous Windows are going to be part of this cycle...

The jump from Windows 8.1 (6.3) to Windows 10 (10.0) is probably also related to them wanting to adjust the build number.

Windows 10, Kernel number 10.0, build number 10000

Nha, concidering that Microsoft compiles 5 builds every week, we have only 80 builds to go before hitting 10 000. That's 20 weeks, 4 months. Mid-May they will get to 10 000. For a RTM date in the summer... They are going to go beyond 10 000. I wonder if the old build-rules are still in place. With a faster update cycle and them updating now through new  builds, one would think that they no longer have to jump to a number devidable by 16 for every public release.