[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Who renamed my thread? This is before it was called Windows 10, and I liked the name the way it was. Since you know I chose how to name it... didn't know threads are renamed now. Anyways the tech preview would not incorporate just windows 10 if the insider program continues. Just my pet peeve...... 

Nothing seen or heard today of 'Metro 2.0', interactive tiles or any API/feature enhacements for Modern apps then?

Seems there was a lot not covered - when is the next 'discussion' event?

They said the features they have showed here are earlier builds and will be coming in the next months. Plus, they have Build in April, so they'll probably show newer stuff there as well. We haven't seen all of the new icons yet, they just quickly showed the universal settings app, and many others. Exciting stuff.

Yes, you're right, it also has a screen-wide transparent texture overlay to give a glass effect which is still utterly infinitesimal in terms of computational power.

Are we done with the pathetically flimsy excuses to try and justify your aesthetic tastes now?

And no, there are other effects that increase the demand on lower end devices. I don't believe anyone said aero glass is stressful on a gaming PC.

Ok, and what is vastly superior about Aero glass? How does it help you do anything better?

It's not just tradition for tradition's sake. I've been using W8 for half a year and still, clicking an icon on the taskbar to open up file explorer and then opening my documents from there seems completely unnatural compared to clicking start + Documents...

To me it seems unnatural and cumbersome to lock opening Documents into the Menu like that. But then for me the Menu was unnecessarily slow for everything.

And no, there are other effects that increase the demand on lower end devices. I don't believe anyone said aero glass is stressful on a gaming PC.

Ok, and what is vastly superior about Aero glass? How does it help you do anything better?

"Other effects" Heh, how dishonestly vague of you.

But I digress, nothing Aero utilises is stressful even on a low-end device. You could most likely run it on a SIMD-based software renderer and not notice any difference.

Lastly, I'm not going to debate my aesthetic opinion with you, as suffice to say in my opinion, my opinion is better than your opinion in every conceivable way. People have different tastes, get over it.

Some people just need to keep in mind that UI comes last in Microsoft's development cycle. The default stark white theme etc in Windows 8 was only available in RTM.

Things are going to change.

Glass is gone guys, nothing is going to bring it back either. As far as transparency goes, you'll have options to make parts like that, taskbar, start menu/screen, live tiles and so on. They're going for a new look, all it is. Those who don't like it you can go the theme route like people have since Windows XP if not older. 

Non sequitur - the limited amount of information any screen element contains should always be legible at all resolutions - that's a scaling issue.

My experience of 8.1 at 4K was awful (messy, fuzzy fonts etc.) - did the TP change anything?

And the original Start menu did indeed have scaling issues - the issues started merely at 1280x720.

If you have to modify the defaults to retain legibility (and a lot of folks do) at a particular resolution, that is indeed a scaling issue.  The fuzzy-font issue is a dead giveaway.

You mean start menu transparency? In was in the demo yesterday, not just in a mockup picture.

Show me a video of it because I did not see a version that looked like that picture. Look carefully at the picture. You can tell it was made in PS

Show me a video of it because I did not see a version that looked like that picture. Look carefully at the picture. You can tell it was made in PS

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/

At 1.11 hour mark showing off xbox app using the spartan build, Looks exactly like the "Photoshop" pictures. Don't think transparency will be in next week builds, since we're getting an older build.

Untitled_1.jpg

I bet that some of these are part of the motion studies and concepts.

Maybe transparency will be customizable, like it is WIndows 7? 

I wouldnt doubt that and im sure they will be  a scale to change it. All I was pointing out that image above wasnt from an actually build. Just a mock up they usually do when they advertise. Lets move on please. I really want a gallery of pictures.. 

Maybe transparency will be customizable, like it is WIndows 7? 

It should be. The lack of brain-dead customization in Win8 was laughable. No way to toggle transparency on and off. No way to change the title bar text color. No way to change the fonts that are used system-wide. You know, simple customization options that were possible on Windows 95 through Windows 7. And I know some of these things were technically possible through registry tweaks or high-contrast themes, but that is unacceptable. Win10 needs to allow us to, you know, be in control of our computer, which Microsoft likes to make a big deal of.

Limited customization is acceptable. Font switching bugs the hell out of me, because not all fonts scale the same, which makes users computers look awful, and function worse.

Limited customization is acceptable. Font switching bugs the hell out of me, because not all fonts scale the same, which makes users computers look awful, and function worse.

They could limit the amount of fonts that are available to use for system-wide purposes. But not being able to change the font color was completely unacceptable in Windows 8. You simply couldn't use black or dark window chrome since it made windows unreadable.

MS have removed the download links from the insider page in preparation for the new builds coming soon, they've also called the new builds "Technical Preview" still, not "Consumer Preview" or anything like that.  I need to re-install on a laptop now, but need the ISO again.  Anybody got the current 9879 x64 ISO URL I could have please?

MS have removed the download links from the insider page in preparation for the new builds coming soon, they've also called the new builds "Technical Preview" still, not "Consumer Preview" or anything like that.  I need to re-install on a laptop now, but need the ISO again.  Anybody got the current 9879 x64 ISO URL I could have please?

Google for it. It's there.