[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Finally pulled the trigger on Windows 10 with 9926 and I'm glad I did, not too bad at all. The old CP is still there... made me wonder how are they going to remove it completeley, what happens the the 3rd party mouse options tab and so on...

Cortana, as expected "not supported in your region", same goes for Store Beta.

As for the poster above me: well, guess what, it is hard... they arent a same frame as far as I'm concerned. The explorer one seems to be more like the one it used to be, where the smaller buttons where close to the top, that was designed that way long time ago and seems they havent been centered yet. As for universal apps, it has a whole different frame

They better not forget it. Same with the search bar. The thickness of the border compare to the one of explorer.  I'm nervous they wont fix it especially how lazy they were with the win 8 UI

Is there anyway to make Cortana work in the UK? it really pisses me off when it only seems to be the US that gets these 'features'

It's the preview...  like I said before that they are adding more data to Cortana so they will enable it for more countries down the line.

There are so many languages to be added... you can not expect that they put all languages and other coding stuff in one day...   Give them some time to add so they will let you know when Cortana will be available in your country.

Think about that.

Another feature that originally showed up in 9901 is present and accounted for - Maps. (Settings->Maps.)  For the US, all fifty states, Washington, DC, and most of the remaining territories are available.  And yes - they can be stored offline.

Anyone running 9926 in VirtualBox?  I've been unsuccessful in getting the display to scale properly.  Unlike 9879, I'm unable to set the resolution to 1920x1016 (which is proper with the borders).  Obviously I installed the guest additions...which gave more display options but not the right ones.

Needless to say...it is very annoying.  Just wondering if anyone has been able to set it up properly in VirtualBox.

Regarding 9926... *sigh* ... I hope that fix the dang Start Menu.  No right click and no creating categories for programs.  I do not want things in alphabetical order...nor do I want to scroll forever.  Haven't really tested anything else until I can get it to run like 9879.

post-21852-0-82521800-1422047967.jpg

post-21852-0-07768800-1422047971.jpg

Desktop, portable, or VM?

My desktop adapter was picked up automatically (which has been the case since 8).

Mini-Start starts as full-screen by default - however, once you shrink it, it keeps that setting unless/until you grow it again.

Biggest surprise is there is now a separate prompt for PowerShell (which has been sorely lacking) in mini-Start (it wasn't in 9901, either).

However, another surprise is the tons of unrelieved grey - reminds me a LOT of Windows Server 2012R2's defaults.  (I've never seen this much understatement in a Windows desktop OS since Windows 95 build 224.)

The early builds released for Win 7 or 8 were *never* this fragile or inconsistent. They were also unfinished but stable enough for daily use and didn't look like a mess. 

Wasn't this release supposed to be a consumer preview?

The early builds released for Win 7 or 8 were *never* this fragile or inconsistent. They were also unfinished but stable enough for daily use and didn't look like a mess. 

Wasn't this release supposed to be a consumer preview?

No this release is the January Technical preview

No this release is the January Technical previeo

Most websites are incorrectly calling it the CP then. Let's be honest, Microsoft's confused messaging doesn't help since they said they'd release a CP in Jan.

http://www.windows10update.com/download-the-windows-10-consumer-preview/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873106/windows-10-the-10-most-important-new-consumer-preview-features.html

MS never called it a consumer preview from what I remember, they just said they'd "talk about the consumer side" later. As far back as November I'm pretty sure they talked about this as the January Technical Preview.

Anyways, it's been said a number of times but they started sharing builds at a very early point than ever before. Expect another build preview next month I bet.

Yeah see MS is doing good things but their marketing language on small details is still so bad and causes so much confusion.  Look at the whole "free for the first year" thing, theres still people talking about that rather than the actual content of the presentation so even if what they are talking about is irrelevant you have discussion and focus not on what you showed.  The whole consumer preview is another case in point, you are right that I don't believe MS ever said it would be the consumer preview but that's what we all were expecting .

Either way I still wouldn't expect the UI to greatly change, interactive live tiles and an evolution to metro I would still expect to appear but those aren't going to alter the overall Windows X UI greatly.  They are also running out of time it does have to go rtm and final at some point.

You seem kind of negative about MS and the presentation but I agree with this point.  The simple truth is it doesn't matter though.  MS could have taken windows 8.2 and called it Windows 10 and it was going to be popular because just like Windows 7 was mostly built on vista - it didn't matter - vista had a bad wrap in consumers minds just like win 8 does even though one could argue a lot of the intiail issues with Win8 have been resolved in 8.1 and would have been resolved in 8.2 with the start menu. 

That being said in this instance MS have gone further than just repackaging (cross device integration, focus on the interface, universal apps, cortana, dx12) so consumers are getting a lot of value even if in reality they just have Win8 R2.

well after using Win 10 TP 9726, I consider myself a man of character. I can admit when I'm wrong. I teach my kids admitting you're wrong isn't a sign of weakness rather an act of integrity and character. that being said, I'm approaching and analyzing Win 10 TP 9726 from a gamers perspective. I have a thread about my thoughts HERE (note* I'm analyzing this TP from a gamers aspect).

aside from gaming, I like the new start menu. it expands and I can scroll down rather than have a huge monolith menu cover obsessive screen real estate. My ONLY caveat is the control panel is somewhat hidden and I had to search around for it. but I did pin it to my taskbar for easier access.cortana is cool for me to open up websites or search for websites as I need. I'm analyzing this for my family because my wife said she didn't care for the extra stuff like cortana, she's not technically inclined but I told her I'm testing this from a gamers point of view.

I'm guessing DX 12 is inside the OS and is it the final version? or will it see subtle improvements before RTM?

for gamers: switching from desktop back to in game when you do the CTRL+TAB, and go back to the game? it was fast no lag or borken record sounds before it catches up. THAT will win over gamers I hope.

well after using Win 10 TP 9726, I consider myself a man of character. I can admit when I'm wrong. I teach my kids admitting you're wrong isn't a sign of weakness rather an act of integrity and character. that being said, I'm approaching and analyzing Win 10 TP 9726 from a gamers perspective. I have a thread about my thoughts HERE (note* I'm analyzing this TP from a gamers aspect).

Glad to hear you're liking the latest preview, also good to hear from a gaming point of view.  You would hope it ships with Windows X, not the sort of thing you want to tack on better if its inbuilt and ready to go so unless theres delays with it (although they've been talking about it for so long) it should make it into builds before RTM.  Now whether MS shares those builds with us is a different story I guess.

DX 12 to me as this point lives up to the hype. I'll have to try a hardcore game that I have in steam to further stress test this theory. Not sure crysis will do it but I'll throw what I have at it and report at my thread later. 

DX 12, without having a DX12 card (except the Nvidia 960 which is DX 12 and the driver came out on my Nvidia experience app last night.) but not having a DX 12 card will still benefit more from DX 12 itself alone. that's impressive

I forget how to activate the in game recorder of win 10. anyone remember this and how? or was this strictly xboxone only?

I am confused. How does one upgrade?

I click the Install now button, the OS restarts and nothing happens?

Make sure you have KB installed in order to upgrade to TP .

Were you trying to install from 9879? If so read here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025380

If not, installing from 7 or 8.x, go to Insider program website and go from there. It will install a patch then install 9926 preview.