[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Anyone running 9926 in VirtualBox?  I've been unsuccessful in getting the display to scale properly.  Unlike 9879, I'm unable to set the resolution to 1920x1016 (which is proper with the borders).  Obviously I installed the guest additions...which gave more display options but not the right ones.

Needless to say...it is very annoying.  Just wondering if anyone has been able to set it up properly in VirtualBox.

Regarding 9926... *sigh* ... I hope that fix the dang Start Menu.  No right click and no creating categories for programs.  I do not want things in alphabetical order...nor do I want to scroll forever.  Haven't really tested anything else until I can get it to run like 9879.

Build 9926 is awful for me in VMware, too. The display doesn't scale to fullscreen like it should, and performance is really, really slow. Compared to the previous two builds, which ran nearly perfectly. Not sure what changed between then and now, but I'm hoping the next Insider build will run a bit nicer.

Really liking it so far.  Can't for the life of me get Cortana to respond to her "Hey Cortana" command though.  Have mic properly setup and can ask questions after I click on the mic icon but she never responds to "Hey Cortana" period :( (and yes, it is enabled)

• Like 2

Build 9926 is awful for me in VMware, too. The display doesn't scale to fullscreen like it should, and performance is really, really slow. Compared to the previous two builds, which ran nearly perfectly. Not sure what changed between then and now, but I'm hoping the next Insider build will run a bit nicer.

I ended up installing VMware and it works better, for me.  I'm able to run 1920x1080, full screen without issue.  It does seem to run a bit slower...but not terrible.  At least I'm able to play around ... unlike VirtualBox (though VB didn't have issues with the older builds).

This build is broken for me too :( it doesn't seem to like running in VMware Player that much. I tried to upgrade from the original Technical Preview but it failed, just stuck on "Getting Ready". This happened with the previous build and had to reinstall it [the original build] and since then refused to see updates (but saw this one, which was odd). Guess need to download the ISO and do a clean install. I know this is pre-release software but having no end of trouble with it :/

No offense to Microsoft, and maybe it's just me but... I was expecting a little more stability out of this post January build. These builds seem ever increasingly unstable and worthless of testing, let alone installing.

No offense to Microsoft, and maybe it's just me but... I was expecting a little more stability out of this post January build. These builds seem ever increasingly unstable and worthless of testing, let alone installing.

At least you can install them. After the initial release I've had nothing but trouble and failed installs aplenty. Granted I'm using a VM to test it out in, but was expecting it to work a little better. Currently downloading the ISO for the current build, hopefully a clean install of that will work...

At least you can install them. After the initial release I've had nothing but trouble and failed installs aplenty. Granted I'm using a VM to test it out in, but was expecting it to work a little better. Currently downloading the ISO for the current build, hopefully a clean install of that will work...

Clean install in VMWare seems to have resolved my issues.  VirtualBox gave me resolution issues (even after install the guest additions)...and after the first round of updates it kept blue screening (IRQ_LESS....).  VMWare has been running it rock solid.

Clean install in VMWare seems to have resolved my issues.  VirtualBox gave me resolution issues (even after install the guest additions)...and after the first round of updates it kept blue screening (IRQ_LESS....).  VMWare has been running it rock solid.

Yeah, I tried Vbox but didn't work very well and VMware as a whole runs great. Just updating the OS is when it falls apart. I'll be doing a clean install with the current build and all should hopefully be well again *fingers crossed*

Not at all.

On another note, talking to my laptop is oddly awkward, and exciting at the same time...

So those of you with bad performance on VMware... Did it improve with a clean install? I might just do that, even though this was the first time I was actually able to upgrade to a new build.

Is IE oddly unstable for some of you guys? Simply going to arstechnica's home page causes a crash ...

Ars loads fine on this end with IE / Win 10.  Haven't had it crash on any sites yet.

I seem to be one of the few who likes the new folder icons. They really don't bother me, I'd be fine with those being in the RTM. That said, I'm sure they'll be tweaked between now and then.

• Like 2

I upgraded from the previous win 10 build and now i dont have sound. Cant figure out how to fix this. It feels so sluggish now.. and honestly the icons are terrible. Watching the presentation wasnt bad. But using the build. Good god..

I upgraded from the previous win 10 build and now i dont have sound. Cant figure out how to fix this. It feels so sluggish now.. and honestly the icons are terrible. Watching the presentation wasnt bad. But using the build. Good god..

I did a fresh install from USB onto my SP3. Competely unusable. It's basically frozen from the moment it boots up.

I did a fresh install from USB onto my SP3. Competely unusable. It's basically frozen from the moment it boots up.

Yeah same here. When I'm on the desktop I click on anything for a few mins.. Its sad how its very first release was way more stable than this build

Yeah same here. When I'm on the desktop I click on anything for a few mins.. Its sad how its very first release was way more stable than this build

Newer builds do not always mean more stability. But 9926 is noticeably slow. I wouldn't be surprised for the next major build to be released pretty soon, since it's clear the lag issues are widespread.

Newer builds do not always mean more stability. But 9926 is noticeably slow. I wouldn't be surprised for the next major build to be released pretty soon, since it's clear the lag issues are widespread.

Slow is an understatement, it's not usable at all.

• Like 2

The only issues I've had with any of these builds was Store and Weather wanted to open out of nowhere on 9860. The other was that annoying keyboard LED bug which is finally fixed in 9926. That annoying bug kept anything after 9860 from being installed on my desktop because that would have driven my fiance nuts if she didn't have any LED's lit up on the keyboard lol

That's the only issues I've experienced so I guess I'm one of those rare few that gets all the minor things.