[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Hon

Am I seeing this but is something off about the alignment?? o.O 

Honestly these new icons are ugly Windows XP era colors, cartoonish, and very bright and distracting. I liked the icons that followed after the Office 2013 icon set. They used a simpler set of colors, they were darker, and not in perspective E.G. not drawn in 3D. I really really hope they change it before the final release, but maybe they feel they have spent too much time redoing icons by now.

• Like 3

Upgraded from 7 to 9926 on my HTPC, running a Sempron 145 unlocked to dual core and OC'd to around 3.2GHz (can't remember exactly), 4GB of RAM and a HD5570, so pretty low end stuff and it's running fine. A little slower than 7 but after disabling Windows Defender it's barely noticeable.

is there an in game recorder? so i can take in game videos of the action?

if so, what is the keyboard combo for this? I recall something about it during the windows 10 webcast wednesday.

thanks for any reply

Chris

is there an in game recorder? so i can take in game videos of the action?

if so, what is the keyboard combo for this? I recall something about it during the windows 10 webcast wednesday.

thanks for any reply

Chris

That's the Game DVR feature in Xbox, and I think the combo was Win+G.

Is the build really that bad? I am ready to take the plunge but this thread is not very encouraging. :laugh: They pushed updates to the build today, does that help?

Is it me or some of the newer Universal apps lack the fullscreen button, like the new Store, Settings and so forth?

They work just fine in fullscreen if set to tablet mode, though.

Is the build really that bad? I am ready to take the plunge but this thread is not very encouraging. :laugh: They pushed updates to the build today, does that help?

9901 is more stable :p and that was not officially released. Running under the same VM conditions, 9926 is terribly slow.

Guys, made another video showing the same lock screen reg hack from 9901, has been updated for 9926

Seems like Microsoft is moving to the round user pic, like Neowin has.

I'm running build 9926 in a VM and can't say it's sluggish in any way. It certainly performs better than the last build I had tried (9879).

It's not yet ready to be used as primary OS imho, but you can tell MS are getting there. With more bits and pieces landing over the next months and more UI polish Windows 10 promises to be a very solid Windows release.

• Like 2

Clean installed 9926 on my Surface Pro 3 (clean install via ISO).

It actually recognised all the drivers and wifi which is great. Had a new firmware update dated 22/01/2015) and new Intel driver etc.

Noticed battery life is pretty bad on this build. From a full charge, it took about 10 minutes before battery was down to 94%. Battery saver said I only had around 3hrs left of battery too,

Overall, I don't like the new Start Menu on desktop view, much preferred the 9879 menu. The expanded view is nice though which I now use most of the time.

Also, the build seems pretty unstable but usable. Im liking the direction their going. Just hope they fix the start menu, make Continuum know what options you prefer, fix battery and make it more stable.

Anyone else having battery life issues with this build on a SP3?

Is it me or some of the newer Universal apps lack the fullscreen button, like the new Store, Settings and so forth?

They work just fine in fullscreen if set to tablet mode, though.

It's true! I haven't them with me either!!!

On a side note... 

Has anyone found how to enable jump lists?

I like how you can change the default location for explorer now, instead of opening up in quick access you can change it back to my computer (this pc)

one thing I don't like is this..,, I have no use for modern apps but when I remove them from the start menu it stays big. And I can't seem to pin folders, I'm sure it's a bug

FNLShv8.png

I like how you can change the default location for explorer now, instead of opening up in quick access you can change it back to my computer (this pc)

one thing I don't like is this..,, I have no use for modern apps but when I remove them from the start menu it stays big. And I can't seem to pin folders, I'm sure it's a bug

As already stated in the January Technical Preview blog from Windows.com:

"New Start menu: You

Fresh install here with the ISO because upgrading from the last build failed, could not get past the login screen.

How do you get to see "Your Apps" in the Store?

I'm not liking the design of the new Store app, it's a pain to use with the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Also, I don't know if it's a problem with my AMD 7870 video card, but when moving "modern" windows around, I can see ghosting on the window and title bar...  Drivers from the Windows Update for AMD are installed.

Regarding the new title bar widgets, do they seem too high up to anyone else, in relation to the title bar text? Maybe it's because there's no colored background surrounding them like in previous Windows releases, but the placement just looks a bit odd to me, like they should be lowered by a few pixels. They also don't seem to change in size when the title bar text size is altered, something that occurred in older Windows versions. So if you have, 8pt font, the widgets just seem huge.

Also, may have been mentioned, but are all the modern windows stuck with an off-white chrome color? Because they are for me, regardless of what chrome color I set through Personalization.

Yes, they seem a little cramped. You're right about the off-white chrome colour. At first I thought it had something to do with the colour intensity, but it stays the same, no matter what you choose. Also, the only ones that don't have a full screen button are the Store and Settings.

Am I seeing this but is something off about the alignment?? o.O 

As FiB3R pointed out, the perspective is off. 

I really hope they bring the same WP-like functionality to the all-apps section in the Start Menu. It'll be annoying to scroll through all these apps without any quicker method to get from one letter to the other. 

Continuum seems to be working pretty well (tested it via the Tablet mode switch in the Notifications Center), and I like the open app indicators on the taskbar. The Search overlay on the active taskbar icons seems a little weird, but that might change. 

IMO, the round avatar doesn't work at all with the squared-off aspect of the rest of the UI. 

I've also had this battery indicator on the lockscreen that shows a battery empty, with an X on it, despite the fact that I'm running the TP on a desktop PC. 

It's also quite strange that the only option under Personalize in Settings is the Lockscreen.  :wacko:

So many issues being raised in this thread about the latest build.

Have to say it is running perfectly for me (or as perfectly as a preview release can be expected to).  Best build so far by quite a long way.

I really like the direction they are taking, and look forward to how it develops.

There a couple of niggles I wish they'd fix:

1) There is no way of distinguishing on the task bar which apps are running on the current desktop vs other desktops like previous builds.

2) I'd rather a 'scroll across' start menu for the tiled area, rather than a 'scroll down' area

3) The customise system tray option has disappeared - annoying if, like me, you want certain icons to always show.

4) The UI to move applications between desktops is still rather clunky, would prefer something drag and drop - or button based.

I would imagine the UI is still very clunky on tablets and touchscreens - I think this desktop first approach is going to be more harmful than helpful for Microsoft in the long term (yep... I said it).

• Like 2

So many issues being raised in this thread about the latest build.

Have to say it is running perfectly for me (or as perfectly as a preview release can be expected to).  Best build so far by quite a long way.

3) The customise system tray option has disappeared - annoying if, like me, you want certain icons to always show.

I agree, it's much better than 9879 & 9901. 

Have you tried dragging the tray icons that get 'hidden' back to the visible area - seems to be the method now (tho I haven't re-logged in yet).

I agree, it's much better than 9879 & 9901. 

Have you tried dragging the tray icons that get 'hidden' back to the visible area - seems to be the method now (tho I haven't re-logged in yet).

Thank you - worked perfectly! Feel like an idiot for not trying it myself.

Also, seems to persist between sessions (tried logging out and back in).  Time will tell if it stay there.

It's been said a few times but they rewrote the start menu in this build so it's missing some features. Those will come back, just have to wait for the next build or the one after that.

If you go back to the event video, when Phil Spencer is on stage talking and showing off the Xbox features, he's using a newer build, it's the one with the transparent start menu. We don't know which build it was but it could be the newest 10,000 build.

For those with issues MS already released a update through WU for it, grab that and see if it helps. I expect another one or two updates to this build before the month ends.