[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Ever since build 9901 I keep having this problem where I can't play media files when I double click them and the modern video and music apps are the default ones. I get "no such interface supported" as an error message. However, I have just realized it only happens when the media files are on any hard drive except the one Windows is installed on. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any fix?

post-453301-0-24689200-1422199767.png

Ever since build 9901 I keep having this problem where I can't play media files when I double click them and the modern video and music apps are the default ones. I get "no such interface supported" as an error message. However, I have just realized it only happens when the media files are on any hard drive except the one Windows is installed on. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any fix?

I've the same issue. Using Windows Media Player or opening the content from within the app fixes it.

I've the same issue. Using Windows Media Player or opening the content from within the app fixes it.

Well, that's only a workaround. It doesn't really fix it. It's still impossible to play by double clicking. Unless you set Windows Media Player as default, which is something I'm actually trying to avoid.

Well, that's only a workaround. It doesn't really fix it. It's still impossible to play by double clicking. Unless you set Windows Media Player as default, which is something I'm actually trying to avoid.

Use the feedback app and report.

Strange - I'm running Windows 10 in the latest version of VMware Fusion. The VMware tools installed perfectly fine, performance is as good as you'd expect from a VM.

I'm using VMware Player on Win8. I guess I could try it in Fusion.

Cool. What's the reg hack to activate that?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\UseWin32TrayClockExperience - set to 0

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but it is indeed possible to run separate instances of the same Universal app. So far I was able to do so with the new Photos app.

I have a feeling it's like that because it is based on the Windows 10 API, different from the rest of the Windows 8.1 ones.

Also, the fullscreen button is missing, meaning that it could be a differently treated Universal app after all.

You can always create a shortcut on your taskbar or something that goes like: 

Target:  C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Start in: C:\WINDOWS\system32

But yeah, bug report is a good idea.

PS: Never mind, like others said, it has been moved to Start/Account Picture/Lock but if you want a One click work around my suggestion still works :-)

worked like a charm! thanks. I was able to pin it to my taskbar

So, it was confirmed by Gabe that all subsequent builds, and the final release, can be upgraded to. Granted, I still prefer doing clean installs, but it's nice to have that option.

Yeah, I'll be doing a clean install upon the final release. Most likely, I'll do a slight hardware refresh at that point, too.

I would like MS to clarify their future intentions with Media Center as the current Preview indicated "this build" does not support it.

All the resolutions seem to be stuffed up in this build. I can only get 4:3 ratios.

Well that is disappointing - I was hoping I just needed to update the VMWare tools - then if that didnt do it - actually doing a dual boot instead of VM.  No need I guess -

I also dont care for the black & white settings window(s)

MS's art people should be taken out back and shot - (Im assuming there are artistic developers - that they dont let the coders who design the architecture do the GUI)

so..... no more 2560x1440 ?    :(

(running in VMWare - the previous build(s) were fine.

Same for my Hyper-V 2012 R2 VM of 9926. But on my tablet it's fine (running at 1080p currently). I'm guessing this is display driver related.

For me, Cortana keeps saying she has a problem, and she can't connect to the internet. I am running a VM, but IE can connect to the internet. Also, Hey Cortana doesn't work, yet it is enabled and Cortana can do speech to text, so obviously the mic's working.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but it is indeed possible to run separate instances of the same Universal app. So far I was able to do so with the new Photos app.

I have a feeling it's like that because it is based on the Windows 10 API, different from the rest of the Windows 8.1 ones.

Also, the fullscreen button is missing, meaning that it could be a differently treated Universal app after all.

Or maybe not an Universal app at all. I wouldn't call something that is able to call restricted APIs an Universal app.

Another frustrating issue I've ran in today... there is no DockPanel available in WinRT. God dammit.

I deleted my win10 VM, and partitioned my HDD to do a dual boot to see what changes - through VMWare it uses that old S3 graphics chipset - I am going to see if nVidia fixes the issue.

I know, the trouble is the direction they are going in worries me greatly. From the September preview until the latest one, I only see regressions not progress when touch is concerned.

I installed one of the earlier builds via VHDX on my tablet, and saw they ripped out many things from Windows 8.1 that made perfect sense on tablets. At the time, I decided to be patient and wait for continuum (or tablet mode), but the sad fact is, even with continuum the regression is quite clear, that very first preview is actually more usable on a tablet as build 9926.

And comparing those builds and the latest build in particular shows Microsoft changed direction (evident as they created a new start experienced, which supposedly is written in xaml, which probably means it is a WinRT app) and that direction is what worries me. I fail to see how that direction is going to lead to an end result that is desirable for touch based users.

Maybe to explain it better, I am not saying Microsoft dropped the ball, I am saying that Microsoft is in the process of dropping the ball.

I completely understand your fears but there is still a long way to go and what may look like dropping the ball right now may turn out to be part of well thought out master plan.

I have been involved in development for long enough to know what you see in an early concept often is completely transformed by the time you ship.

The one saving grace is that Microsoft don't actually manufacture desktops or laptops (although they should, but that's another discussion). They do manufacture tablets (Surface line) and phones (Lumia line). I'm reasonably confident that they will get it right.

I would like MS to clarify their future intentions with Media Center as the current Preview indicated "this build" does not support it.

Way too early for that, MorganX - at the most, this is between the Developer and Consumer Preview stage.

One thing that is a harbinger (for the worse) of Media Center is that all the stakeholders outside of Microsoft are doing their darndest to make WMC (as software) moot by pushing everything to external devices (whether it's set-tops or other external devices, such as streaming devices, such as ChromeCast or the similar FireHD stick - and most of these have no connection to a PC or network at all - the latter two connect to a TV directly via HDMI).

Way too early for that, MorganX - at the most, this is between the Developer and Consumer Preview stage.

One thing that is a harbinger (for the worse) of Media Center is that all the stakeholders outside of Microsoft are doing their darndest to make WMC (as software) moot by pushing everything to external devices (whether it's set-tops or other external devices, such as streaming devices, such as ChromeCast or the similar FireHD stick - and most of these have no connection to a PC or network at all - the latter two connect to a TV directly via HDMI).

Unfortunately what you say is true. Maybe Intel's new NUC with built in tuner will help keep it alive. They could port the DVR, Guide, and TV software from XBOne which would also be good.

So, do we know for sure RTM is in 2015? Seems that since XP, many of the major releases have been in the second half of the year. XP hit RTM in October, Vista hit RTM in November, Windows 8 had an October release. My guess is we'll have a RC by BUILD 2015, with a final release before Christmas.

I got it installed, but my sound wasnt working so i uninstalled the audio drivers and reset the computer and then it kept on crashing once booting into windows. Anyone else have a similar problem?