[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

does anyone have any idea how I get this new OneNote app?  I still have the old one.

Edit: Nevermind - I uninstalled it and installed from the 'new' Store.

Who the hell is designing the apps at MS? Are we going to have different design languages every damn year?

Apparently, it's pretty much individual per application. For example, the Maps one has its settings "panel" on the left side of the app.

0c7222ce17.jpg

they showed os wide sharing at the event though

Hmm, I must have missed that portion. Although based on the new apps' disposition, it seems that even sharing will be done within the app itself, rather than from the charms bar or so. For example, driving distance or so in the Maps app will be shareable underneath its field, along with printing it. In a way that would make sense, but you'll have to search for those buttons yourself.

Apparently, it's pretty much individual per application. For example, the Maps one has its settings "panel" on the left side of the app.

God dammit.

0c7222ce17.jpg

Hmm, I must have missed that portion. Although based on the new apps' disposition, it seems that even sharing will be done within the app itself, rather than from the charms bar or so. For example, driving distance or so in the Maps app will be shareable underneath its field, along with printing it. In a way that would make sense, but you'll have to search for those buttons yourself.

The way they showed it the sharing charm bar or whatever you call it pops up inside the app on the right side, it was pretty much identical to the old sharing list inside the charms bar except within the app on windowed mode. 

God dammit.

Not only that, but if you switch into satellite mode, the whole thing turns into dark mode. That's right. Satellite mode = dark theme mode. Road view = light theme mode. I am so lost with that one.. :/

82416b8f1b.jpg

The way they showed it the sharing charm bar or whatever you call it pops up inside the app on the right side, it was pretty much identical to the old sharing list inside the charms bar except within the app on windowed mode. 

That is still true. For now, anyhow. My point is, that you can't just share contents from an app from the charms bar (or hamburger menu), at least with certain newer ones, like you used to with Windows 8.1, but instead it needs to be trigged from a button from the app itself. It is true that it then invokes the charms bar, but I suspect that will be changed with something else.

And printing happens in its own window that's derived from the main one. Not exactly modal, but it kind of behaves that way, that until then you can't do anything on the main app unless you deal with the printing functionality.

Windows 10 shaping up nicely all but start menu which is total garbage.

either bring back windows 7 start menu or u might as well do away with it entirely as nobody will want it.

youve given me no choice but to use a 3rd party application to bring back original start menu that people like.

not this new garbage you put on build 9926.

keep up with the start menu trash like build 9926 and windows 10 will be an instant fail.

either bring back windows 7 start menu or u might as well do away with it entirely as nobody will want it.

youve given me no choice but to use a 3rd party application to bring back original start menu that people like.

keep up with the start menu trash like build 9926 and windows 10 will be an instant fail.

Thank you for the insightful majority feedback & market analysis.

Thank you for the insightful majority feedback & market analysis.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with him as well. I find the Start Menu in build 9926 to be a nice compromise. It works great in desktop mode as well as tablet mode. I'm using it extensively on my Surface Pro 3 and the more I use it the more I like it.

You're kidding right? You know how many issues that thing had? Besides not being expandable, or all that customizable, let me refresh your mind...

I'll be reading this thread, but I am done with Win 10 until an RTM-like release is made.

Was expecting iterative updates and all that, not complete changes of direction and design. Especially the new "Universal" apps. If they can even be called Universal apps.

I'll be reading this thread, but I am done with Win 10 until an RTM-like release is made.

Was expecting iterative updates and all that, not complete changes of direction and design. Especially the new "Universal" apps. If they can even be called Universal apps.

Well... its not even a consumer preview so don't expect the updates to be like the OSX Yosemite DP ones, you have to expect huge changes and overhauls.

I'm going to sound really arrogant with post, but it seems like many of the people complaining about the state of Windows 10 at this point of time are exactly the people who shouldn't be running beta software, because they don't seem to understand how it works. It's not directly at anyone specific here, and it's especially prevalent on the Feedback app. People moaning and complaining about inconsistent icons, the Start menu not being resizeable. You know, people complaining about the very things Microsoft has already stated are being worked on and refined for future builds.

Sigh...

• Like 3

I'm going to sound really arrogant with post, but it seems like many of the people complaining about the state of Windows 10 at this point of time are exactly the people who shouldn't be running beta software, because they don't seem to understand how it works. It's not directly at anyone specific here, and it's especially prevalent on the Feedback app. People moaning and complaining about inconsistent icons, the Start menu not being resizeable. You know, people complaining about the very things Microsoft has already stated are being worked on and refined for future builds.

Sigh...

Agreed. However, the people complaining about the style of the icons themselves are different from the people complaining about the inconsistency of the icons across the board. Those complaining about the styles have a point.

Sigh...

Disagree, the purpose of the insider program (according to Microsoft) is to provide feedback on changes and based on that feedback they might change a thing or two (hopefully). For instance the direction they are going in with regards to the touch side of things, which in my mind will turn out into a disaster full of avoidable compromises. If we complain and provide feedback after the fact, it would have been too late.

Now is the time to complain and hopefully being able to alter the course a little bit here or there. Because quite frankly, Windows 10 seems to be moving from touch first to touch last, and it doesn't need to be that way. Windows 8 had touch to the tee, no need to reinvent the wheel, just disable most aspects when in desktop mode, enable when in tablet mode.

Disagree, the purpose of the insider program (according to Microsoft) is to provide feedback on changes and based on that feedback they might change a thing or two (hopefully). For instance the direction they are going in with regards to the touch side of things, which in my mind will turn out into a disaster full of avoidable compromises. If we complain and provide feedback after the fact, it would have been too late.

Now is the time to complain and hopefully being able to alter the course a little bit here or there. Because quite frankly, Windows 10 seems to be moving from touch first to touch last, and it doesn't need to be that way. Windows 8 had touch to the tee, no need to reinvent the wheel, just disable most aspects when in desktop mode, enable when in tablet mode.

There is a huge difference between complaining and providing feedback.  There is also a massive difference between the stability of a preview and the stability of final release.

Feedback to me, is comments such as 'I find it difficult to use the taskbar as the primary task switcher when using the OS on a tablet, because the buttons are two small, it requires too much hand movement and feel that it wastes precious screen real estate', not 'Windows 8 was perfect for tablets, why are you changing it and making it worse for us? Put it back, and right now' (possibly a little more dramatic than some of the feedback), but you get the idea.

Furthermore, the number of people complaining on this thread about the software being unstable, slow, no longer working properly in a VM or the new Start Menu/Screen being unusable should be providing feedback (detailed feedback as to what, and why you have the feedback).

I think the Insider programme itself is a double edged sword.  Generally the feedback from the industry has been very positive which is good marketing, but making it available to the wider public has resulted in people that don't understand the software is beta (and technically not even beta) and should be expected to be unstable, inconsistent and very much unpolished.

• Like 3

Have you read some of the posts in the feedback tool in Windows 10? A lot of those people do not grasp the meaning of 'technical preview'.

There is a major difference between complaining for the sake of complaining and constructive feedback. Microsoft are after the latter, not incessant whining about how the new start menu doesn't work the way (yet) user x wants it to. Be patient, report bugs, post constructive criticism and wait for improvements in future builds. But for the love of Zarquon, quit your bitching already.

You guys ever stop to think that the different UI layouts in the new universal apps is them trying new things to get feedback on what people like the best instead of them just "being stupid"?

The last thing I expect is the UIs between the core apps not to match, once they have one people like they'll all share it.

• Like 2

I have provided limited feedback so far and it has been about installation. I still need to prepare a WIMboot image for my tablet :( and feedback was relevant (Windows should automatically do a WIMboot install on SSDs). :D I need to check out other feedback sections for these fun posts you guys keep on referring.

There is a huge difference between complaining and providing feedback.  There is also a massive difference between the stability of a preview and the stability of final release.

Feedback to me, is comments such as 'I find it difficult to use the taskbar as the primary task switcher when using the OS on a tablet, because the buttons are two small, it requires too much hand movement and feel that it wastes precious screen real estate', not 'Windows 8 was perfect for tablets, why are you changing it and making it worse for us? Put it back, and right now' (possibly a little more dramatic than some of the feedback), but you get the idea.

Furthermore, the number of people complaining on this thread about the software being unstable, slow, no longer working properly in a VM or the new Start Menu/Screen being unusable should be providing feedback (detailed feedback as to what, and why you have the feedback).

I think the Insider programme itself is a double edged sword.  Generally the feedback from the industry has been very positive which is good marketing, but making it available to the wider public has resulted in people that don't understand the software is beta (and technically not even beta) and should be expected to be unstable, inconsistent and very much unpolished.

Actually I am complaining AND providing feedback. You would notice I have never complained about stability, as I do understand that to come as things progresses. I do complain about the clear direction they have taken between build 9901 and build 9926 which to me is wrong and will lead to only compromises and dissatisfied users. The reason I am pointing out that Windows 8 already had the tablet experience covered is obvious, there is no need to waste resources on it, they should use that code and improve the desktop only.

No amount of fixes and improvements will ever get that xaml startscreen to fly on tablets. And the reason is painfully obvious, you cannot make a start menu that appeals to both Desktop and Tablet users, due to the obvious differences in both screen real estate and input methods. The pre build 9926 previews didn't try to shoehorn the two into one, and that's the way they should have continued it. You offer the user the choice between a start experience fully tailored for the desktop and one for the tablet.

If that means the tablet mode isn't automatic, that's a price I am more than willing to pay.

Have you read some of the posts in the feedback tool in Windows 10? A lot of those people do not grasp the meaning of 'technical preview'.

There is a major difference between complaining for the sake of complaining and constructive feedback. Microsoft are after the latter, not incessant whining about how the new start menu doesn't work the way (yet) user x wants it to. Be patient, report bugs, post constructive criticism and wait for improvements in future builds. But for the love of Zarquon, quit your bitching already.

Maybe you should stop bitching about other people bitching, if you don't like it, ignore it, it's really that simple.

Maybe you should stop bitching about other people bitching, if you don't like it, ignore it, it's really that simple.

No. I've had it with immaturity and sense of entitlement.

You and I both want Windows 10 to be the best version of Windows yet. Microsoft are closely listening to any usable feedback they get. I.e. bug reports, detailed suggestions, constructive criticism. Pretty sure they feel the same way I do about 'start menu is broken, plz fix or else' bitching. Again, this is a tech preview - things will break or be unfinished. Have some patience for Zarquon's sake.

• Like 3