[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

how hard is that for desktop users?

Don't forget that the users are not advanced users or not learned anything about that before.

That's why they got the PC without looking the manual or whatever.... all they do is get the help from friends or family who knows nothing more than basic steps.

Anyone know what KB3035129 is yet? Just got it as an update for the Tech Preview, I'm hoping it's a fix for some of the driver issues.

Sorry, but an application launcher shouldn't be hiding anything in nested menus. That's just a horrible way to do business.

You mean the way the all program menu is now is in the Windows 10 start menu.

Anyone else getting this after installing the recent updates?

This pops up for 5-10 seconds then stops:

10h156t.jpg

Then this has changed to choose which branch you prefer:

zx0bwz.jpg

EDIT: The above was from my laptop. Installed the updates to my desktop and it does the same thing except shows 9931 as the build it tries to download. Looks like they may be setting up another release soon.

Here's the error it shows after it tries to download the build:

v4axr4.jpg

Anyone else getting this after installing the recent updates?

This pops up for 5-10 seconds then stops:

Then this has changed to choose which branch you prefer:

EDIT: The above was from my laptop. Installed the updates to my desktop and it does the same thing except shows 9931 as the build it tries to download. Looks like they may be setting up another release soon.

Here's the error it shows after it tries to download the build:

yup, I got that too

A3HVuO5.png

I looked in the registry and it looks like a couple of keys were changed/added to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

ThresholdInternal and ThresholdOptedin are both set to 1. setting both to 0 (or deleting them) removes the option to choose which branch you'd like to get preview builds from.

You mean the way the all program menu is now is in the Windows 10 start menu.

Is a billion times better than the 9x way of doing things.

Is a billion times better than the 9x way of doing things.

I'm on your side of the fence most of the time, but are you kidding me?

The new way of showing All Apps is just plain silly. it's a long list that takes up a tiny bit of the screen.

The All Apps should at least be an overlay of the tiles part of the start menu, that way it would take up some more space and be easier to find stuff in.

I'm also not very happy with the up and down scrolling in the Tile part of the Start screen, I preferred the left to right scrolling of the Start Screen

• Like 2

I'm on your side of the fence most of the time, but are you kidding me?

The new way of showing All Apps is just plain silly. it's a long list that takes up a tiny bit of the screen.

The All Apps should at least be an overlay of the tiles part of the start menu, that way it would take up some more space and be easier to find stuff in.

I'm also not very happy with the up and down scrolling in the Tile part of the Start screen, I preferred the left to right scrolling of the Start Screen

No. I love being able to click open All Apps (in the *rare* instance that I need to), and there's everything laid out, not hiding in a sea of manila folders, and homeless applications. It's stupid to dig through that nonsense.

No. I love being able to click open All Apps (in the *rare* instance that I need to), and there's everything laid out, not hiding in a sea of manila folders, and homeless applications. It's stupid to dig through that nonsense.

...and I love being able to create a few folders in the start menu (Multimedia, Games, Productivity, etc.) to where I place my links.  I have 7 folders in my start menu...know exactly where everything is at.  Having to scroll through every program on my computer isn't ideal nor productive (though I saw where jumplist and other common/useful features will be coming).  Can you imagine having to scroll through a hundred programs... *sigh*.  

Point being, if you knew how to setup your start menu...you wouldn't have items "hiding in a sea of manila folders".  However, I do see your point when I've worked on other computers and it can (but doesn't have) be congested.  For me, my start menu is never confusing nor nonsense.

The problem with Windows 8 all apps is that there was SOOOOOOO much on the screen it took me longer than usual to focus on what I was looking for. With the start menu it was just a simple list of text.

.. but you could group/categories icons which meant it was actually faster than hovering on nested menus to go form folder to folder.

I'm not saying it was worthy of launching your 1st tier apps, clearly Desktop and Quicklaunch/Pinning are idea for that.  I'm saying that the Start Screen was far superior to the Start Menu for launching your second tier apps.  The All Apps screen in 8.1 improved on that again.

This is how I saw it, and why I was one of the few that didn't complain.

Sure, but the way it is implemented in the new Win 10 Start Menu is just silly.

I agree with the implementation of Win 8.1 where it takes up all of the screen, but now it takes up that tiny strip on the left.

That is just as dumb as having to find your way through all these folders

...and I love being able to create a few folders in the start menu (Multimedia, Games, Productivity, etc.) to where I place my links.  I have 7 folders in my start menu...know exactly where everything is at.  Having to scroll through every program on my computer isn't ideal nor productive (though I saw where jumplist and other common/useful features will be coming).  Can you imagine having to scroll through a hundred programs... *sigh*.  

Point being, if you knew how to setup your start menu...you wouldn't have items "hiding in a sea of manila folders".  However, I do see your point when I've worked on other computers and it can (but doesn't have) be congested.  For me, my start menu is never confusing nor nonsense.

For the start screen, you can separate tiles into groups.

Of course, creating groups in the start screen, is both faster and more efficient than start menu folders ;)

• Like 2

For the start screen, you can separate tiles into groups.

Yea I know.  Though since this is the Windows 10 TP thread...I do not think it is appropriate to start (pun intended) a start screen vs. start menu debate.  I never mentioned the start screen...just how Windows 10 start menu is in its present form (obviously subject to change).

Of course, creating groups in the start screen, is both faster and more efficient than start menu folders ;)

Oh, but I disagree.  See my comments to mastecoms about start menu vs. start screen.  

I don't know anyone who has "a hundred programs", not even corporate employees I support at work. By default, (which is where you'll find 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of users) the Start Menu was a mess. It was left in its default messy state, and progressively worsened as the user went and installed stuff.

I don't know anyone who has "a hundred programs", not even corporate employees I support at work. By default, (which is where you'll find 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of users) the Start Menu was a mess. It was left in its default messy state, and progressively worsened as the user went and installed stuff.

One could easily reach that number...though don't get stuck on a number.  Even scrolling through 50 can be a pain.  I'm looking forward to Microsoft reintroducing a method to which you can create folders.

I've been using Windows Technical Preview and on the latest build there isn't still any driver available for current Intel Graphics. If you try to install the drivers available for Windows 8/8.1 it simply says it isn't compatible with the system and it doesn't run it. I guess Intel will not bother to make it available until around RTM stage.

I just really hope they bring back the F8 functionary of All previous versions of Windows prior to 8. Safe mode should not be hard to access. Oh and please nobody tout how you can tell Windows to reboot into Safe mode from inside normal mode, that just makes you look like an idiot. (because the whole point of safe mode is you can't properly boot.). I know the whole repair crap should kick in after so many failed boots.

It's to the point now, I can't walk anyone through accessing safe mode over the phone. Who are running Windows 8.

• Like 2