[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Am I missing something here?

Why would you want to do this? The whole point of a preview/beta is to test the functionality that is proposed to be in the final product and to test if it works, feeding back on usability, functionality and reliability.

The point certainly is not to find hacks to restore the old way. Typically old code isn't taken out until much later.

Would you please knock it off. God damn. Its on his pc so he can do whatever he wants. However most of us are are actually testing it. So idk why it matters to you what he does with his build.

Yes.

One of my two 10 TP installs is, in fact, an upgrade (from 8.1 ProWMC) install.

Yeah I did this yesterday and my god.. my laptop became extremely slow. It took like over and hour to install. So.. I clean installed took 20 mins and runs good. Not sure what happened coming from windows 7.

i keep getting an update in 10 for the awesome fbl 1501 update 9933 but keeps snagging and saying try again later is this the next release or are there a large number of traffic trying the same thing ?

I'm going to sound really arrogant with post, but it seems like many of the people complaining about the state of Windows 10 at this point of time are exactly the people who shouldn't be running beta software, because they don't seem to understand how it works. It's not directly at anyone specific here, and it's especially prevalent on the Feedback app. People moaning and complaining about inconsistent icons, the Start menu not being resizeable. You know, people complaining about the very things Microsoft has already stated are being worked on and refined for future builds.

Sigh...

sign of the times mate, see it on a daily basis professionally and with things like this, I think to myself RTFM! ;)

i dloaded vm player and workstation and the 32bit iso 9926 and just clicked next untill it instaled just make sure you piont the vm drive to the iso

i dloaded vm player and workstation and the 32bit iso 9926 and just clicked next untill it instaled just make sure you piont the vm drive to the iso

There's a resolution auto resizing issue with this 9926 build and VMware.

i keep getting an update in 10 for the awesome fbl 1501 update 9933 but keeps snagging and saying try again later is this the next release or are there a large number of traffic trying the same thing ?

It's an internal release that was accidentally exposed. You can't download it.

• Like 2

Would you please knock it off. God damn. Its on his pc so he can do whatever he wants. However most of us are are actually testing it. So idk why it matters to you what he does with his build.

No he's quite right you know. What's the point in testing a technical preview if all you're going to do is hack it to ad old bits back in?

It then renders all feedback sent to MS useless. 

MS needs to close this system down and concentrate on real testers and closed beta groups.

No he's quite right you know. What's the point in testing a technical preview if all you're going to do is hack it to ad old bits back in?

MS needs to close this system down and concentrate on real testers and closed beta groups.

MikeChipShop - I think that a lot of the Insiders are basically trying to preserve the old biases - they don't really want Windows (as an OS) to survive; they simply want their biases kept in place. 

Hey, that's not true! I want Windows (as an OS) to survive and I"m only one of the few Windows Insiders that thinks so! Hopefully with some good concepting of the OS and petitioning that my concepts become the actual Windows 10, will it succeed. Unless Microsoft makes Windows 10 great.

why is my system still trying to download the blocked microsoft build.

there's a registry key that was added with update KB3035129 to check for internal builds. The key shouldn't be there.

open the registry (Run-> regedit)

browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

delete ThresholdInternal

now re-open Windows Update

I REALLY hope they're not listening to some of the bizzare requests I've seen since the Insider program started. If they are Windows 10 will be one of those products that ends up with tentacles, a soda fountain, three wheels and a foot grafted on top because that's what Microsoft thought everyone wanted.

• Like 2

I REALLY hope they're not listening to some of the bizzare requests I've seen since the Insider program started. If they are Windows 10 will be one of those products that ends up with tentacles, a soda fountain, three wheels and a foot grafted on top because that's what Microsoft thought everyone wanted.

This springs to mind:

the-homer-inline4.jpg

Hey, that's not true! I want Windows (as an OS) to survive and I"m only one of the few Windows Insiders that thinks so! Hopefully with some good concepting of the OS and petitioning that my concepts become the actual Windows 10, will it succeed. Unless Microsoft makes Windows 10 great.

I was referring to those that basically want a pointing-device-only Windows.  Such an OS is simply impractical - in fact, it is as impractical as an RT-only Windows.  (I even referred to it as a hedge-bet; it turns out to be a failed hedge-bet.)  A single-focus Windows won't work - instead, as distasteful as some find the idea, a multifocus Windows is the only sensible option.  Microsoft should not be trying to be Apple.

I would imagine Microsoft has a good idea about what they want to add to the OS, and are ignoring requests or suggestions that are, frankly, bizarre. A lot of requests for things like bringing back an Aero Glass-like theme do appear to have been heard, given that transparency is being restored to the Start menu, but other things like, "ADD THIS BECAUSE WINDOWS 7 HAD IT!!!111!!!11" are likely being ignored. 

If people want to add old functionality and bits to their operating system, fine. Do what you want with the Registry, it's your computer. But I don't see why they continually hound Microsoft to basically make Win10 act like Windows 9x. It's not going to happen. And sometimes, you just need to learn how to do things a new way. What if Microsoft caved to pressure and didn't add the Start menu and taskbar to Windows 95? Would that have been a good idea?

I would imagine Microsoft has a good idea about what they want to add to the OS, and are ignoring requests or suggestions that are, frankly, bizarre. A lot of requests for things like bringing back an Aero Glass-like theme do appear to have been heard, given that transparency is being restored to the Start menu, but other things like, "ADD THIS BECAUSE WINDOWS 7 HAD IT!!!111!!!11" are likely being ignored. 

If people want to add old functionality and bits to their operating system, fine. Do what you want with the Registry, it's your computer. But I don't see why they continually hound Microsoft to basically make Win10 act like Windows 9x. It's not going to happen. And sometimes, you just need to learn how to do things a new way. What if Microsoft caved to pressure and didn't add the Start menu and taskbar to Windows 95? Would that have been a good idea?

Ugh, I took another peek on the Insider requests/topics and from the User Voice forum too - there are way too many subjective wants and needs in there, that are not really optimally and objectively formed at all. Those in charge should inspect what is the solid foundation of this request to be in consideration even, articulated in very thoroughly manner. Not with those "I want Aero back, because it looked good!" or something similar. I mean.. that's cool, but what else is there to it? :p

A lot of people are getting this beta software thing wrong. Just because someone states a beta product is buggy doesn't entitle you to tell them they shouldn't use it, except if they are saying Windows 10 RTM will suck based on the experience they had in the beta.

Complaints about the beta are fine, because if no one finds that bug, it WILL end up in the final product.

Ugh, I took another peek on the Insider requests/topics and from the User Voice forum too - there are way too many subjective wants and needs in there, that are not really optimally and objectively formed at all. Those in charge should inspect what is the solid foundation of this request to be in consideration even, articulated in very thoroughly manner. Not with those "I want Aero back, because it looked good!" or something similar. I mean.. that's cool, but what else is there to it? :p

I'm sure that's exactly what Microsoft is doing. They know what they want to add to Windows 10, they probably then use the Insider app to see which requests tie into some specific feature they want to add.

i requested for MS to bring back and Aero and merge it with Metro in the taskbar and start menu. They said ok, "kool we will do that". So aero is coming back! Take that Aero Denial vocalists :D

i requested for MS to bring back and Aero and merge it with Metro in the taskbar and start menu. They said ok, "kool we will do that". So aero is coming back! Take that Aero Denial vocalists :D

I'm sure it was being planned long before you requested it, nor was transparency completely gone in Windows 8, as it was still on the taskbar. As long as it's an option that can be toggled, great. I prefer opaque windows and taskbars, and it seems a simple toggle (or theme change) would be ideal.

What if Microsoft caved to pressure and didn't add the Start menu and taskbar to Windows 95? Would that have been a good idea?

That would have been awesome, at least not including the Menu would have been.

That would have been awesome, at least not including the Menu would have been.

In the earliest releases of 95, it was possible to use Program and File Manager by default, though even then, it didn't really work the same.