[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Well, however you feel about it, Explorer stands out like a sore thumb. Personally, I like consistency, and I'd like a fully featured OS, no matter what device I'm using. File Explorer is a pretty powerful application, but it's useless outside anything not operated by a mouse. It's time for an Explorer facelift to match the rest of the OS.

Finished concept:

attachicon.gifExplorer2.png

This is a nice concept and is doable except for that breadcrumb, I think the > between levels is too thin and will be a nightmare for mouse.

This is a nice concept and is doable except for that breadcrumb, I think the > between levels is too thin and will be a nightmare for mouse.

It's copied from Windows 10 for mobile...which is touch only.

It's copied from Windows 10 for mobile...which is touch only.

That is an assumption - the same one has been made of Android and iOS, and is not true with either OS.  What is it with folks making the assumption that just because a formfactor doesn't include keyboards or pointing device by default, it is incapable of using them?

I just finished setting up Mom's new AIO; it supports touch, but includes a keyboard and mouse - both of which are not merely USB, but wired.  I haven't run into an AIO yet that doesn't support keyboards and mice.

Bejeweled 3 *and* Bejeweled Blitz - the desktop versions - support touch just fine; this is despite both games pre-dating Windows 8.  (The same applies to Office 2013 - despite the entire suite pre-dating Windows 8.)

huh?  Who said about mouse?

You said that larger contact points are all about touch - mouse users can certainly use them, as not everybody can be pinpoint accurate with one - I certainly can't.

Your exact quote - "MS increased large elements for touch... not desktop. Remember some people have fat fingers... that's the reason MS increased large elements for that."

Tell my mouse that.  (Unlike Mom, MY desktop doesn't support touch - neither does my notebook.) if anything, I need the larger landing places more for my trackpad ON said notebook.

It's not even the first time I pointed TO that - I referred to the "flumbel-flingered" - among both mouse and trackpad users - in fact, I didn't refer to touch-screen users at all.

I think that some folks won't be satisfied until touch-screen support is banished from even AIOs - let alone notebooks, laptops, tablets, and slates, and everyone is basically forced into using pointing devices in general (if not mice in particular).

Usually Dot Matrix and his posts and love for everything Metro gets on my nerves but to be honest that mockup of Explorer looks good. 
Not sure I like the black everywhere. A white/blue version would look awesome though I think. 

That is an assumption - the same one has been made of Android and iOS, and is not true with either OS.  What is it with folks making the assumption that just because a formfactor doesn't include keyboards or pointing device by default, it is incapable of using them?

I just finished setting up Mom's new AIO; it supports touch, but includes a keyboard and mouse - both of which are not merely USB, but wired.  I haven't run into an AIO yet that doesn't support keyboards and mice.

Bejeweled 3 *and* Bejeweled Blitz - the desktop versions - support touch just fine; this is despite both games pre-dating Windows 8.  (The same applies to Office 2013 - despite the entire suite pre-dating Windows 8.)

I guess it's possible they would allow you to use a mouse on the sub 8" Windows for mobile, it's certainly not designed for it though. They have definitively said there will be no desktop for that SKU.

http://www.techspot.com/news/59531-no-desktop-windows-10-devices-under-8-inches.html

I'm running with the assumption that replacing Explorer is complicated by so many apps hooking into it which would mean you'd be duplicating instead of replacing functionality, which could definitely annoy some people (just like win8...)

I don't think they're done putting in the new UI for win10 though so we'll see how it is.

Well, however you feel about it, Explorer stands out like a sore thumb. Personally, I like consistency, and I'd like a fully featured OS, no matter what device I'm using. File Explorer is a pretty powerful application, but it's useless outside anything not operated by a mouse. It's time for an Explorer facelift to match the rest of the OS.

Finished concept:

impressive idea and concept Dotmatrix. that would awesome and easy on my eyes.

impressive idea and concept Dotmatrix. that would awesome and easy on my eyes.

He just took the file explorer from Windows 10 for Mobile and modified it for larger screen devices. I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea, I'm sure MS is experimenting with it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/file-explorer-windows-10-phone-video-tour

You said that larger contact points are all about touch - mouse users can certainly use them, as not everybody can be pinpoint accurate with one - I certainly can't.

Your exact quote - "MS increased large elements for touch... not desktop. Remember some people have fat fingers... that's the reason MS increased large elements for that."

Tell my mouse that.  (Unlike Mom, MY desktop doesn't support touch - neither does my notebook.) if anything, I need the larger landing places more for my trackpad ON said notebook.

It's not even the first time I pointed TO that - I referred to the "flumbel-flingered" - among both mouse and trackpad users - in fact, I didn't refer to touch-screen users at all.

I think that some folks won't be satisfied until touch-screen support is banished from even AIOs - let alone notebooks, laptops, tablets, and slates, and everyone is basically forced into using pointing devices in general (if not mice in particular).

Dot said he wants large elements such as large icons. I don't. Dot wants 16x16 icons out.. I have no problems with small icons on my end..

Mouse users can use either small or large icons.. As long as it works for him/her. Icons on touchscreen work fine on my end, no matter if they are small like 16x16 icons or big as 48x48. Which is why there are many ways to customize as you see fit.. 48x48 icons may be best for people who are nearly blind..

Like I said there are many ways to change or use on the said device (no matter if it is desktop or tablet). So they change the size and inputs for their needs or work/business. (Such as touch, pen, stylus, mouse, voice, etc)

People usually not think about people with disabilities which MS does think about them and make the things for them.

If you are not happy with what MS has been doing this year with windows 10, then feel free to move to Mac or Linux. But remember windows 10 is not in the final stage yet. There are more changes and tweaks to go before final. Then after that, we get updates via WU. We will see how they go from there on ..

Touch support won't go anywhere. They are to stay on laptops, AIO, touchscreen kits, etc. if they hate touch on desktop, then don't touch it and turn it off or unplug the touch support plug.. Mine has a plug. If I unplug it, the touch support will not work anymore until I plug it back. Touch support is useful to some people such as home automation, movies, drawing, etc.

Thank you for all the kind replies.

and they should not put in a hamburger menu as it ruins the modern UI style.

Ruins it or not, it's what's "in", at the moment. The updated universal apps all have it, and there wouldn't be a reason not to include it here, too.

I guess it's possible they would allow you to use a mouse on the sub 8" Windows for mobile, it's certainly not designed for it though. They have definitively said there will be no desktop for that SKU.

http://www.techspot.com/news/59531-no-desktop-windows-10-devices-under-8-inches.html

I never said that the formfactor WAS designed for it.  However, one does NOT equal the other - as Android and iOS prove on a daily basis.

shozilla - I have been, in fact, saying exactly that.  Heck, touch can be ignored even on AIOs that support it.  I'm not one of those that treats touch-support in Windows as a "sin".

Touch-screen AIOs - in fact ESPECIALLY such AIOs - are maximized user options in one form-factor.  Yet some folks are apparently of the opinion that such hardware is the equivalent of a living football.

The anti-touch attitude regarding Windows 8+ reminds me rather frighteningly of ISIL - and I want no part of it.

Thank you for all the kind replies.

Ruins it or not, it's what's "in", at the moment. The updated universal apps all have it, and there wouldn't be a reason not to include it here, too.

I personally prefer it to side scrolling.

Finished concept:

WAAAAAAY too much wasted space.

WAAAAAAY too much wasted space.

There's no more "wasted space" then there is on Explorer now. The ribbon is empty as I didn't have the energy to draw out all the controls.

Finished concept:

Good lord no.  Make a concept with 800+ sub folders, as my "Movies" has, or 300 sub directories as "My Pictures" has.  Your concept would be ok with very few subs ... nightmare for directories with many subs.

Quit trying to make programs which take up the entire dang screen.  If I wanted programs taking up the entire screen, on my desktop, I would buy a 800x600 monitor.

• Like 2

Good lord no.  Make a concept with 800+ sub folders, as my "Movies" has, or 300 sub directories as "My Pictures" has.  Your concept would be ok with very few subs ... nightmare for directories with many subs.

Quit trying to make programs which take up the entire dang screen.  If I wanted programs taking up the entire screen, on my desktop, I would buy a 800x600 monitor.

This is a basic concept. User's would still be able to add/remove directories folders as they please. I'm not drawing out 300 million things to convey an idea.

Also, Maximized != fullscreen. However, this is Windows 10, applications need to be able to be run in fullscreen for tab users. Explorer needs a responsive re-design for users using these devices.

I gotta say, using Windows 10 b9926... Explorer just feels ancient to use and look at. Hopefully, they can modernize it. It just doesn't fit anymore in the OS the way it is.

I totally agree but we will never convince anyone. Everyone seems to be under this delusion that a flat, blocky, single color, boring UI is cool and "productive". Windows 7 was their best OS with a great look that made it pleasing and fun to use. The least they could do is add back Aero Glass.

This is a basic concept. User's would still be able to add/remove directories folders as they please. I'm not drawing out 300 million things to convey an idea.

Also, Maximized != fullscreen. However, this is Windows 10, applications need to be able to be run in fullscreen for tab users. Explorer needs a responsive re-design for users using these devices.

So would you admit that navigation for multiple folders would be time consuming based on your concept?  Just say "yes" considering your concept appears to only have 12 folders at a time (maximized) ... probably one 1 if you minimized it.   :rofl:

So would you admit that navigation for multiple folders would be time consuming based on your concept?  Just say "yes" considering your concept appears to only have 12 folders at a time (maximized) ... probably one 1 if you minimized it.   :rofl:

Why would navigating be difficult? If you're going somewhere specific, Search can help you get there faster. If you're concerned over the size of the tiles, the options to switch the size is there, just as it is on Windows Phone, and currently on Windows Explorer in Win8.1 ("View" tab).

Why would navigating be difficult? If you're going somewhere specific, Search can help you get there faster. If you're concerned over the size of the tiles, the options to switch the size is there, just as it is on Windows Phone, and currently on Windows Explorer in Win8.1 ("View" tab).

Really?  Search?  Why must the "Catch all" be typing things like we did in DOS.  I know at times I can not remember the name of something...though when I see it I know it.  There is nothing wrong with the current method.  You can easily have multiple explorer windows opened, move/copy files between the various folders, have a bunch of folders in alphabetically/numerical order...right in front of you.  

Create a concept of two navigation windows side by side (like if you were going to move multiple files between two directories).

Your full screen method reeks of limited functionality (due to massive real estate it consumes) and of limited multitasking.  As it has been said before, the tablet/phone interface has no place on the desktop.  I'm tired of the desktop being compared to phones and tablets.  

Really?  Search?  Why must the "Catch all" be typing things like we did in DOS.  I know at times I can not remember the name of something...though when I see it I know it.  There is nothing wrong with the current method.  You can easily have multiple explorer windows opened, move/copy files between the various folders, have a bunch of folders in alphabetically/numerical order...right in front of you.  

Create a concept of two navigation windows side by side (like if you were going to move multiple files between two directories).

Your full screen method reeks of limited functionality (due to massive real estate it consumes) and of limited multitasking.  As it has been said before, the tablet/phone interface has no place on the desktop.  I'm tired of the desktop being compared to phones and tablets.  

Yes, Search. It's quicker than clicking around like a mad man, and takes you were you need to go with less energy - Type in a few keywords, and the OS will do the rest. 

And you're loosing focus on the fact that it's just a concept based off what is currently available in Windows 10. The concept is based off a 1366x768 screenshot I took on my Laptop, currently running b9926. Obviously, there's going to be less room, but the sidebar and Ribbon are both collapsible, creating more room for users with smaller screens. Sorry you feel the way you do about tabs, and smartphones, but they're what's driving computing today. A responsive OS needs responsive applications, with an updated design, updated controls, and a revised workflow. Using the current Explorer in b9926 makes me feel like I was just thrown right back into 1995.

There is nothing in this concept that would prohibit desktop users from working like they do now.

Yes, Search. It's quicker than clicking around like a mad man, and takes you were you need to go with less energy - Type in a few keywords, and the OS will do the rest. 

And you're loosing focus on the fact that it's just a concept based off what is currently available in Windows 10. The concept is based off a 1366x768 screenshot I took on my Laptop, currently running b9926. Obviously, there's going to be less room, but the sidebar and Ribbon are both collapsible, creating more room for users with smaller screens. Sorry you feel the way you do about tabs, and smartphones, but they're what's driving computing today. A responsive OS needs responsive applications, with an updated design, updated controls, and a revised workflow. Using the current Explorer in b9926 makes me feel like I was just thrown right back into 1995.

There is nothing in this concept that would prohibit desktop users from working like they do now.

Search isn't appropriate or quicker in all circumstances...especially if you're unsure what the name is.  

Sorry, but your concept isn't appropriate for desktops.  Too much wasted space...throw back to 800x600 days.