[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

There are a number of things that need to be redesigned in Windows 10 to match better with the overall look they're going for, I agree that file explorer is one of them. You can change it's icons but that's like putting lipstick on a pig, it's still the same app going way back t XP but with a ribbon instead of the old, big, XP buttons it used to have. It wouldn't be hard to get a new design that can scale when in tablet mode. And for those who want to add tabs to it, the way it looks now if those are added it'll look worse.

It's time for a new file explorer. It's time for something modern. Designed by using the new Photos app from Windows 10, and File Explorer app from Windows [Mobile] 10, and with a little inspiration from Tweetium app. Obviously, this is a mockup. I didn't have the energy to draw out all the ribbon elements, and the folders were pasted in from another screenshot.

attachicon.gifExplorer.png

An, no one still uses it. No applications work with it anymore.

Good lord no. If that is supposed to be modern I'm happy with my XP era stuff.

Good lord no. If that is supposed to be modern I'm happy with my XP era stuff.

See updated mockup.

That laptop - is it real or just a graphic used to promote Windows. If it's real do you know what make it is?

Almost looks like the Dell XPS 13 http://www.windowscentral.com/72-hours-new-dell-xps-13

I never understood why these concepts always shoved crap into the titlebar to the point where there basically is no bar left.  How am I supposed to easily move the window around?  Click on whatever sliver of space is left to the right of the tabs?

I never understood why these concepts always shoved crap into the titlebar to the point where there basically is no bar left.  How am I supposed to easily move the window around?  Click on whatever sliver of space is left to the right of the tabs?

Yeah I'm not really a fan of the tabs (I would prefer no tabs) being there either but everything else about it looks really nice.

Why would navigating be difficult? If you're going somewhere specific, Search can help you get there faster. If you're concerned over the size of the tiles, the options to switch the size is there, just as it is on Windows Phone, and currently on Windows Explorer in Win8.1 ("View" tab).

You just solved your navigational issue by searching for everything? That's the answer, search? Search is good but it's not the end all as you advertise it to be. In my personal organization I have everything in very detailed sub-folders.

Example

d:\tech files\bills\internet\premier\2014\premier 10 2014.pdf

I agree, sometimes I can get a file faster by searching.

On the other hand I can also get some where faster if I just do windows key + R (yes I can just start typing but its a habit) and type out the folder I want quickly and be there.

add to the fact in Windows 8 do a search for

Musi (mins the last c) you get one result.

You add the c to the end and 1 more result pops up

Good grief. Windows 10 is going to be a bummer for you guys, isn't it?  

That has yet to be seen. It might turn out to be a bummer for you instead. I'm sure if it ends up not the way you think it should have been, it won't be because you were wrong, but because people like me ruined it with our whining :laugh:

Those concepts don't really fit in with anything in Win10.

Um, my name is John. If I want to quick edit my resume,I hit the Windows key, start typing John. Before I even hit o.there it is. C'mon guys. Just let it go.It's been done already. Too many times. Let's move on.

And the abomination you posted does?

I said it was built using concepts from the Photos app already in Windows 10, and the File Explorer app already in Windows [Phone] 10. All I did was take the File Explorer app elements, and expand on them for larger screens using the Photos app as the base template. So, yes.

post-420821-0-73434500-1424050250.png

wp_ss_20150212_0056.jpg

Guy's, there's a dedicated UI thread already, move the debate over there until we get a new Windows 10 build to preview with any UI changes.

• Like 2

You just solved your navigational issue by searching for everything? That's the answer, search? Search is good but it's not the end all as you advertise it to be. In my personal organization I have everything in very detailed sub-folders.

Example

d:\tech files\bills\internet\premier\2014\premier 10 2014.pdf

I agree, sometimes I can get a file faster by searching.

On the other hand I can also get some where faster if I just do windows key + R (yes I can just start typing but its a habit) and type out the folder I want quickly and be there.

add to the fact in Windows 8 do a search for

Musi (mins the last c) you get one result.

You add the c to the end and 1 more result pops up

That has yet to be seen. It might turn out to be a bummer for you instead. I'm sure if it ends up not the way you think it should have been, it won't be because you were wrong, but because people like me ruined it with our whining :laugh:

So you don't use search but use run and autocomplete, which is powered by... wait for it... search?
  • Like 1

interesting discussion about the future of Modern UI 2.0:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8043235/is-windows-10s-ui-straying-from-its-metro-roots-too-far

Now:                                                                                                                                           Proposed:

60ZCKW3.pngcUGsLOfy.png

Hey-Cortana-enable-screen.0.png

Why the rounded toggles?

those are horrible. it's the dictionary definition of a cluster f.

• Like 2

It' a shame some of their screenshots from the Windows 10 event were UI mockups that looked way better than the current product, I really hope they add in transparency. ;-;324b9cd3c0.png

These aren't mock-ups, they are screenshots from newer builds and other branches.

Personally, I like the rounded toggles so far. It gives the UI more character than it had previously.

I respectfully disagree. It is inconsistent.

• Like 2

So you don't use search but use run and autocomplete, which is powered by... wait for it... search?

Who says I just ignore the autocomplete and just type it out.