[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

LMAO, Don't know why you keep on bringing up windows 3.11 screenshot thing. People where just trolling you saying it looked good....(oh ya it was me that said it looked good)

Linux=1 percent marketshare.

I guess I'm gullible

I posted a screenshot of Windows 3.11 and people actually said that it looked good. IMHO, an OS should be functional but also pleasant to look at and fun to use. 

I was one of those people who said they liked the Win3x UI, and I meant it. It was simple, clean, functional. That's what I want in an OS. It's why I never bothered with Luna and always ran Windows Classic.

And "pleasant to look at and fun to use" is entirely subjective. What does that mean for you? Bright colors, transparency, rounded corners? Those are all great things and nothing wrong with them, but you have to remember it's impossible to please everyone. I'd rather have an overly basic UI than an overly cluttered, complicated UI by default. I think that is what Microsoft is doing with Win10. But they really need to provide a bunch of themes. Something functional, something fun, something in between. But what those are is hard to say.

I was one of those people who said they liked the Win3x UI, and I meant it. It was simple, clean, functional. That's what I want in an OS. It's why I never bothered with Luna and always ran Windows Classic.

And "pleasant to look at and fun to use" is entirely subjective. What does that mean for you? Bright colors, transparency, rounded corners? Those are all great things and nothing wrong with them, but you have to remember it's impossible to please everyone. I'd rather have an overly basic UI than an overly cluttered, complicated UI by default. I think that is what Microsoft is doing with Win10. But they really need to provide a bunch of themes. Something functional, something fun, something in between. But what those are is hard to say.

I like things such a transparency, shadows, etc. I really liked a Windows 7 a lot. I wish they could offer more advanced features for people who enjoy a good looking UI and then options for people who like it bland. We know that will never happen though.

You know, I'm all for customization, but I've never gotten the point of themes. If I customize the UI, I want that customization to provide a actual functional improvement rather than just altering the look. I don't want a difference like "classic start menu" vs. "7-style start menu". I want a choice along the lines of Win 3.x default vs. Norton Desktop or Start menu vs. Start Screen. Something that provides tangible difference in function and an actual choice in how I work & play.

When it comes to the window dressing, changing my wallpaper slideshow is enough for me. I've got Nicole Curtis on my screen, how much prettier can things get than that? :)

You know, I'm all for customization, but I've never gotten the point of themes. If I customize the UI, I want that customization to provide a actual functional improvement rather than just altering the look. I don't want a difference like "classic start menu" vs. "7-style start menu". I want a choice along the lines of Win 3.x default vs. Norton Desktop or Start menu vs. Start Screen. Something that provides tangible difference in function and an actual choice in how I work & play.

When it comes to the window dressing, changing my wallpaper slideshow is enough for me. I've got Nicole Curtis on my screen, how much prettier can things get than that? :)

I really like the idea of themes to offer more personal choice in how flashy a user wants the UI to be. I don't think a theme should offer alternate functionality though. I'm not a big fan of hacks like Windowblinds because it slows the system down and never works on everything.

It'd be great if a new build went out before the end of the week but my guess is sometime next week, before the month is over.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to see anything else before next week, either. Maybe we'll get lucky, and Gabe will prove us wrong. :p

I don't expect to see Spartan in the next build but it'll be interesting to see how far they've advanced edgehtml since the 9926 build.

I don't expect to see Spartan in the next build but it'll be interesting to see how far they've advanced edgehtml since the 9926 build.

Really? I think it'll be there. Personally, I feel this next build will be all but feature complete, moreso if they're pushing for a summer RTM. I wonder if the bigger gap is a sign of something?

Yeah I would think with the release not so far away, we will see Spartan in the next build. I'm loking forward to seeing if they tweaked the UI at all.

Really? I think it'll be there. Personally, I feel this next build will be all but feature complete, moreso if they're pushing for a summer RTM. I wonder if the bigger gap is a sign of something?

Then I hope it has a proper Start Screen back, as well as the improvements the Menu crowd are hoping for.

• Like 3

Doubt that Spartan will be in the next update. I say March or April. Remember that and RTM these days doesn't have to be feature complete, like with Windows 8.1, Microsoft could continue to work on it a push an update out at GA that adds even more features.

Then I hope it has a proper Start Screen back, as well as the improvements the Menu crowd are hoping for.

Start screen? One of the whole points of Windows 10 is to do away with the star screen isn't it? Well, I guess it exists in tablet mode?

Start screen? One of the whole points of Windows 10 is to do away with the star screen isn't it? Well, I guess it exists in tablet mode?

And why does it have to be one or the other? There are people who like it, you know. It s a far better launcher for me than any incarnation of the menu on all systems (not just tablets). That include the thing included in the latest build of 10. All Apps should not be crammed into a little scrolling inline list. It's ok for Windows Phones, with small screens, but on a tower system? It leaves 90% of the screen unused. We're not using 800x600 14" monitors anymore, so space-conserving tricks like the menu has always used are not only unnecessary, but inefficient. If others want that, that's fine, but I prefer to actually utilize my nice big screen.

For me the killer feature of 8 was the removal of the menu. If the new version is the only option, I'm not upgrading.

• Like 2

For me the killer feature of 8 was the removal of the menu. If the new version is the only option, I'm not upgrading.

Definitely one of killer features of Windows 8 was the replacement of the Start Menu with the Start Screen.  Regardless of whether Windows 10 has a Start Menu or a Start Screen, I will upgrade - you have to roll with the times - although I would prefer the Start Screen and regard a Start Menu as a seriously backward step.

And why does it have to be one or the other? There are people who like it, you know. It s a far better launcher for me than any incarnation of the menu on all systems (not just tablets). That include the thing included in the latest build of 10. All Apps should not be crammed into a little scrolling inline list. It's ok for Windows Phones, with small screens, but on a tower system? It leaves 90% of the screen unused. We're not using 800x600 14" monitors anymore, so space-conserving tricks like the menu has always used are not only unnecessary, but inefficient. If others want that, that's fine, but I prefer to actually utilize my nice big screen.

Oh, I totally agree. I liked the start screen and generally liked Windows 8. I was just conveying what I thought Windows 10 was set out to do. It seems clear that they wanted to do away with the star screen on the desktop.

I don't know if this was discussed before, but apparently MS gave us the ability to move windows between desktops in 9926.

I'm pretty sure it was available in previous builds as well. The right click menu > move to desktop certainly was an option. Sure, not very discoverable, but still. 

I'm pretty sure it was available in previous builds as well. The right click menu > move to desktop certainly was an option. Sure, not very discoverable, but still. 

Yep definitely available in previous builds - discoverability is awful though (fed this back to Microsoft), I find Mission Control in OS X much easier to use, and prefer that it can completely be operated via dragging, dropping, and gestures.

However, it is much better than the virtual desktop implementation on previous versions of Windows.  :laugh: