[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

This is my first post on this forum, so correct if I'm wrong, but oh look, I found what could be a reference to Microsoft's new browser, codenamed "Spartan", in the January Technical Preview, build 9926. So, recently I found an EXE in the system32 folder named "spartan_broker.exe". I checked the properties of it and it said just "Spartan" as the product name. I looked inside the file with notepad and it had some XML in it. I also found the file somewhere in the WinSxS folder. When I first posted about this on the BetaArchive forum, someone replied and said that this feature was not only in 9926, but in previous builds as well. Interesting indeed...

It is probably part of the EdgeHTML Spartan Core, which you can activate in 9926 in IE typing about://flags .

It's on the front page. Not sure which article.

Edit:

Found it:  https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10022-from-fbl_impressive-images-show-up-online

Was referring to this article: https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-search-functionality-updated-in-upcoming-builds

Which says,

And one last thing, the ugly recycle bin icon that many have been freaking out about has already been changed too.

This article was posted after the one about 10022, which contains the Recycle Bin icon everyone is supposedly freaking out about. So I'm not sure if the icon has changed again, or if Neowin is referring to the icon in the article you posted.

I think we need to come to some consensus that, Windows 10 will give each person the UX they need for their computing needs.

They have finally use a code base that works across all platforms from PC-phone. So they are doing what 8 should have been.

Let's not fight about little frills, or little doiles here or there. Let's get an OS that works.. which from my experience seems rock solid. The base OS itself is solid and I've been putting it through a meat grinder and stress tests.

I'm not into all that tablet stuff either. I see so much anti-social behaviour watching people staring at their phones or tablets and when I try to strike a conversation, people seem lost. from my experience.

So back to the discussion at hand, The OS works. It offers the user experience for ALL. 1 caveat: fellas like dot matrix should be able to have their tablets, touchscreen laptops/desktops boot to the modern UI as we could boot to desktop with 8/8.1.

I have absolutely NO BEEF with touchscreen users. I just see Windows 10 being what we have all wanted, choice of user experience. then, the code base that will run all systems from desktop through smartphones.

Was referring to this article: https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-search-functionality-updated-in-upcoming-builds

Which says,

This article was posted after the one about 10022, which contains the Recycle Bin icon everyone is supposedly freaking out about. So I'm not sure if the icon has changed again, or if Neowin is referring to the icon in the article you posted.

The icon may be changed before RTM.   We have a few months away.  I am sure MS will make some changes between now and RTM day.

If you or anyone do not like the icon after RTM, then you can easily change it ... which you all have been done in the previous windows... there are many tweaks, tips etc online including the third party apps.

I don't care what the icons look like as shown as default... I can change them anytime as the way I want.

I don't complain what MS have been doing these days...  since there are many ways to make some changes ...    if MS has locked Windows down that you all can not change anything... then we could move to the alternative OS such as Linux or OS X.

It is really easy to change the icons.  All you do is Google it and follow the instructions. 

Basic users do not care... all they do is play/work. Advanced users like myself, we can change the OS look and feel as we want. Including the tweaks...  you know the drill.

Are there any alternate download links for the preview?  I tried downloading from Microsoft but it was WAY too slow.

it's not their end causing it to be slow, I've got it the 64-bit ISO downloading at 4.3 MB/s

I thought the next build of Windows 10 was due this month?
Gabe better hurry theres only 24 hours Aussie time left for February!

• Like 1

I thought the next build of Windows 10 was due this month?

Gabe better hurry theres only 24 hours Aussie time left for February!

I have the feeling we won't have a new build this week in the end. Having waited this long, I'd rather wait a bit longer for something more juicy to play with, to be honest.

We'll see.

I think we need to come to some consensus that, Windows 10 will give each person the UX they need for their computing needs.

They have finally use a code base that works across all platforms from PC-phone. So they are doing what 8 should have been.

Let's not fight about little frills, or little doiles here or there. Let's get an OS that works.. which from my experience seems rock solid. The base OS itself is solid and I've been putting it through a meat grinder and stress tests.

I'm not into all that tablet stuff either. I see so much anti-social behaviour watching people staring at their phones or tablets and when I try to strike a conversation, people seem lost. from my experience.

So back to the discussion at hand, The OS works. It offers the user experience for ALL. 1 caveat: fellas like dot matrix should be able to have their tablets, touchscreen laptops/desktops boot to the modern UI as we could boot to desktop with 8/8.1.

I have absolutely NO BEEF with touchscreen users. I just see Windows 10 being what we have all wanted, choice of user experience. then, the code base that will run all systems from desktop through smartphones.

I'd probably say that their big razzle-dazzle will be late on this year - maybe at build 2015 or possibly later on but I could imagine Microsoft is more concerned with nailing down those fundamentals before the UX changes are merged such as new icon set etc. The behaviour of Apple and the changes taking place with Microsoft has pulled me back to the Windows fold - it great to see that Microsoft realises that as much as those new devices are cool you also need to make sure that your 'bread and butter' are taken care of - be it the enterprise customer with a fleet of 10,000 computers or the family computer where people want to type up recipes etc.

Disclaimer: this is a bit of a rant but it's serious.

I'm quite disappointed with Windows 10 so far.

There are some things I like, the new Start Menu is nice, I kinda like the new PC Settings / Control Panel thing, tho so far it doesn't work in High Contrast (white on black) mode and the new notifications system is cool.  Task View is nice tho I would like more features to extend it, hotkeys, ttweaks etc

What I really don't like is that Microsoft still insist on locking the theme engine and only offering essentially two themes: shockingly over-bright, flat, glare and - accessible high contrast white on black.  I use the high contrast theme daily, and at least you can tweak it to SOME degree but you now end up with white lines for borders on everything, if you want to turn those off/mute them to grey, you have to change the button TEXT colour too.

Now I obviously know high contrast themes are critical for users with vision issues, as I'm severely short sighted myself, but I also have other eye issues and suffer from migraines, so having white lines everywhere makes me get headaches quite easily, but changing the text colours (to make the borders darker) makes me not see what I'm reading well.

I really wish MS would just unlock the theme system so that we could load custom visual styles without requiring patches, or at the least, create better theme engines that let us pick colours for more UI elements like you could in Win3.1 -> XP days.  I also know a lot of users who don't have eye issues but just relaly love white on grey themes like the Steam client, Photoshop 6.5, Visual Studio's new grey theme, etc

The main reason I upgraded to Windows 8 was because it would let me do full screen magnification AND high contrast themes (yay!) since you couldn't in Vista/7 - I just wish I wasn't forced to use the ugly, lines-everywhere high contrast theme to get a dark, white on black theme, I'd still like to have a sexy UI that isn't so harsh on the eyes, at least it's better than the default one.

If you spend most of your day using a device (PC, phone, tablet etc) I don't understand why hard-coding colours and locking things down to prevent easily changing colours is still acceptable.

I just wish I could get in touch with Microsoft's accessibility department to make a case about it but I've never had any luck phoning them and getting to speak to anyone.

I have the feeling we won't have a new build this week in the end. Having waited this long, I'd rather wait a bit longer for something more juicy to play with, to be honest.

We'll see.

Monday likely after their MWC keynote?

That was for Windows 10 for Phones

No, NEowin had an article where MS clarified it was for the regular desktop version not the phone version, of course most people completely ignored that part. 

No, NEowin had an article where MS clarified it was for the regular desktop version not the phone version, of course most people completely ignored that part. 

Was an error - it was for phones...

But in an other tweet Gabe Aul says there will be an other preview before the end of this month.

And i don't see it yet. Well still 2 days to wait, but...

Monday likely after their MWC keynote?

Well that would make sense. I hope you are right. One of the things I look forward to trying is the updated Start Menu.

does anyone know if we can update to new builds on a native boot vhd file yet or is that still blocked?

just wondering if i'll need to prepare a new .vhdx file again for the next build

Maybe the worst mistake I could have done was to upgrade to the leaked build and to the Technical Preview of Office 2016.

I have now a broken start menu (It does not show up when I click on it, and search does not work), and can't activate the build.

I'm eagerly waiting for the new build to make it a clean install. Does anyone know when will it come out? As i4mt3hwin said I'm hoping we get one today ;)